Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is the sky just flashing blue at night?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

i didnt know where to post this so i figured the good aul boardsies in astronomy would know,

i have noticed over the last few days that the sky has just been flashing a blue kind of colour but i dont think its lightning because of the way its just a brief flash and there was no thunder, can anyone explain this to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

another one for the sky people to answer.

for the last few years an i have often seen mgnificient cloud formations. I recall reading a book 45 years ago detailing clouds, the only one I remember is Nimbus.

Is there any reason that there might be new type clouds,

And to keep the ball rolling, I often work in Northern Europe, belgium,NL and Germany and often see magnificent sunsets with the sun being red and large. I have never seen such in ireland. i once recall reading an Irish Times piece by that brilliant writer Brendan ?, explaing this but have forgotten it.

Regards Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

rugbyman wrote: »
    another one for the sky people to answer.

for the last few years an i have often seen mgnificient cloud formations. I recall reading a book 45 years ago detailing clouds, the only one I remember is Nimbus.

Is there any reason that there might be new type clouds,

And to keep the ball rolling, I often work in Northern Europe, belgium,NL and Germany and often see magnificent sunsets with the sun being red and large. I have never seen such in ireland. i once recall reading an Irish Times piece by that brilliant writer Brendan ?, explaing this but have forgotten it.

Regards Rugbyman

really want mine answered first rugbyman, its really annoying me now :mad: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

i didnt know where to post this so i figured the good aul boardsies in astronomy would know,

i have noticed over the last few days that the sky has just been flashing a blue kind of colour but i dont think its lightning because of the way its just a brief flash and there was no thunder, can anyone explain this to me?

My best guess would be some sort of high level sheet lightening. That or maybe a brain tumour!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭NinjaNikki

Hey there it's what we call dry lighting it happens when the weather is cold and so on but where i live we had that all night then a brief second of hail then mad lighting and thunder then more hail then it was gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Chinese lanterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Was lots of exceptionally bright lightening in the east last night, would guess that you were too far away from it to hear the thunder but it was bright enough to light up some clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's a thread about this in the Weather forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102658

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

could it be that your seeing the beam from a lighthouse?

thebhoy wrote: »
    no way, i live too far inland, plus its only been the last few days
    Mr Marri wrote: »
    My best guess would be some sort of high level sheet lightening. That or maybe a brain tumour!

well loads of us have been seeing it over the last few days so i guess that rules out brain tumors, but its the whole sky, everyway you look and as far as you can see its happening, but its been for weeks now that its been happening so thats why i thought it wasnt lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

thebhoy wrote: »
    no way, i live too far inland, plus its only been the last few days

How far inland are you? With clear skies in frosty weather lighthouses can be seen for quite a distance.
    I remember a similar mystery, turned out to be tuskar rock lighthouse, 28 miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

What direction from Blanch? Is it from the direction of the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains and is it really lighting up the whole sky or is that a bit of an exageration? I ask because on our observing sessions up near the sugarloaf we would often see the strobe light on the top of the mast on Kippure light up a portion of the sky in that direction when there was some mist/cloud in the air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Probably better suited to weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

As mentioned earlier, sheet lightning which is usually blue in snowy conditions. The lightning can be seen from far away, too far for the thunder to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

Yes, it's sheet lightning from the storms on the East Coast. I was lucky enough to be right under Friday night's storms in Dublin and from speaking to family over the weekend, it seems that this lightning was visible 100 miles away in Co. Leitrim. Saw some more in the East / South East earlier this evening while in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

edit - oops, wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

its only been the last few days
    its been for weeks now that its been happening

Which is it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Was driving on the M3 on Friday night around 11pm and the sky lit up in blue. At first I thought it was a traffic camera or something but after the 4th time to see it I started to think that it was the end of the world or something :D

Which is it :confused:

been going for weeks but happening more often the last few days,

smart a**e :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

been going for weeks but happening more often the last few days,

smart a**e :P

Where abouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I saw it when driving onto North Wall quay in Dublin at about 6:30pm tonight. Never saw that type of lightening before, guess with our winters changing it will become more frequent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thundersnow perhaps?

If Lightning is far enough away you aren't going to hear it. Every 3 seconds, sound travels 1.02 km (probably a little more in that cold weather) But you have to figure how far can you see a flash of light in the sky and how far away do you think you can hear from? It's common to see lightning and never hear the thunder if its several miles away.

Advertisement