Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Goldfish

Options
  • 27-11-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding my goldfish. I have had him for 9 years in a small tank and in the last couple of years, since his mate died, he has had quite the growth spurt to the point where he has outgrown the tank. I was wondering what is the best thing to do as I have no space for a larger tank and would ideally like to move him to a lovely pond-type home, although I don't know if he would be ok in that situation because he has been indoors all his life? Has anyone ever moved a fish like that to a pond? Any advice much appreciated. He is thriving it must be said but I do feel for him!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

we,ve moved large goldfish into ponds and their was no issue. Lived a good while till a crane got them

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Thanks for your reply. Sad to hear about the crane though! I was just wondering does it matter what type of pond you introduce the fish to and also if it is advisable or not to put him in with other fish. What type of pond did you use for your re-home? I don't have a pond and would have to relocate him but am wondering are people with ponds generally wary of putting in outside fish for fear of disease etc? (not that he has a disease, but I could understand it would be a worry!)
    Thanks for your help on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I moved a goldfish out to my smallish pond about 6 years ago and he's doing fabulously; grown from pet shop goldfish size to about 6" long now. I've not fed him in about 4 years, he lives very happily on midge larvae and algae.

Advertisement