Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Choice Sony Vaio Or Macbook pro?

• 27-11-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Vaio: 6gb ram, 500gb HD, intel i5 processor

Macbook Pro: 4gb ram, 250gb HD, intel dual processor

Will mainly be using the laptop for music production so will be pushing the cpu pretty hard, wont be using it much on the go, mainly home use.

Purely on specs im thinking of getting the vaio, and im really used to windows.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Sorry just realised there is a laptop section. Could a mod move this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Get a dell more grunt for the money. Not as pretty mind :rolleyes:

Apple way too expensive for what you get, Sony all propriety drivers and tons of bloat wear, dell all standard components, easy to get latest drivers from other sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

cgarrad wrote: »
    Get a dell more grunt for the money. Not as pretty mind :rolleyes:

Apple way too expensive for what you get, Sony all propriety drivers and tons of bloat wear, dell all standard components, easy to get latest drivers from other sites.

Dont think I would touch a dell to be honest, I have only bad experiences with them, I might add that my current laptop is a vaio, ive had very few problems with it in the nearly 5 years ive had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I would have to agree on avoiding Dell.

Sony usually do have too much bloatware but you can easily remove that.

Generally Macs are considered better for music production, but the i5 is a far superior processor so based on the specs you have if thats what your budget can afford you may be better off with windows. (My preference by a country mile is apple though).

The software you are going to use is obviously a big factor too, if you want to use Logic Studio you dont have an option.

Maybe a refurbished Mac would suit your budget http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro?mco=MTkyMTQ5MjA

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

SteveDon wrote: »
    Vaio: 6gb ram, 500gb HD, intel i5 processor

Macbook Pro: 4gb ram, 250gb HD, intel dual processor

Will mainly be using the laptop for music production so will be pushing the cpu pretty hard, wont be using it much on the go, mainly home use.

Purely on specs im thinking of getting the vaio, and im really used to windows.

Any opinions?

Undertake a lot of music production stuff myself, lots and lots of plugins etc. PCs i can get from work for nothing (top of the range) and still went out and spent 2k on a MBP.

MBPs handle the CPU load a lot lot better, especially for Logic/Protools.
    Also i find with PCs you tend to need to reformat them every 6 months or so to keep them in shape, which is a royal pain in the arse having to reinstall all plugins etc.

OSX is actually very easy to get your head around, especially as nothing will change in terms of your apps etc you should have no problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement