Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report content question

Options
  • 27-11-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Lets assume you're finishing a report for a module that you were very disappointed with because, for one thing, it gave you an assignment at the end that was unrelated to the lectures and slightly related to the practicals which themselves were rubbish becuase you were basically left to sit and figure out what you had to do and just muddled through.

Now, lets assume in this report you would like to point out that you have done your best with the little you had been thought and you feel its not totally your fault if its wrong.

I'm not thinking of scrawling "weehay yer all c*nts" across the bottom more of a little disclaimer.

Do you think this is a bad idea and i should keep my mouth shut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If you actually attended, then constructively and precisely tell them why you thought it was ****.

You might save someone in the same boat as you some hassle in the future and at the same time, improve your university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Is this a report where they know who you are or one of the anonymous feedback surveys all modules are meant to issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

They'll know, the report accompanies the assignment (worth 30%)

Its a databases module. Basically the lectures are all theory based on relational algebra, relational calculus and sql. For the practicals we're given tasks in microsoft access and the assignment is the same. Its impossible to apply the theory so you sit there and just try figure out how access works, even the demostrators failed to see the point of the practicals!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Chet T16 wrote: »

Its a databases module. Basically the lectures are all theory based on relational algebra, relational calculus and sql. For the practicals we're given tasks in microsoft access and the assignment is the same. Its impossible to apply the theory so you sit there and just try figure out how access works, even the demostrators failed to see the point of the practicals!

I knew you where talking about a comp sci module before you even mentioned it was databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Databases is just AWFUL >_<

Currently trying to motivate myself to do the assignment, cannot understand the idea of just giving us tasks and hopelessly inadequate guides to do them (That said, I'm a little bitter on the basis that we're being made use access in the first place......).

EDIT: Tbh, I'd say nothing in the report, maybe use one of the various module feedback things you'll be given?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Lets assume you're finishing a report for a module that you were very disappointed with because, for one thing, it gave you an assignment at the end that was unrelated to the lectures and slightly related to the practicals which themselves were rubbish becuase you were basically left to sit and figure out what you had to do and just muddled through.

Now, lets assume in this report you would like to point out that you have done your best with the little you had been thought and you feel its not totally your fault if its wrong.

I'm not thinking of scrawling "weehay yer all c*nts" across the bottom more of a little disclaimer.

Do you think this is a bad idea and i should keep my mouth shut?

It's sooo much better that it has nothing to do with the lectures.

Are you following me?

Actually... what is the report?

JonB wrote: »
    I knew you where talking about a comp sci module before you even mentioned it was databases.

Ha, its an elective for me (albeit in-programme) so my first experience of a non-engineering module
    Fad wrote: »
    Databases is just AWFUL >_<

Currently trying to motivate myself to do the assignment, cannot understand the idea of just giving us tasks and hopelessly inadequate guides to do them (That said, I'm a little bitter on the basis that we're being made use access in the first place......).

EDIT: Tbh, I'd say nothing in the report, maybe use one of the various module feedback things you'll be given?

Mines done, its not great but it does what it asks for including the menial exercise that is the menu structure. I didn't bitch in the report but i did point out how i understood the concepts but not Access.
    It's sooo much better that it has nothing to do with the lectures.

Are you following me?

Actually... what is the report?
    The following Supporting printed document MUST be provided:
    I. A description of any assumptions made or additions to the information provided. This sheet
    should indicate where functionality can be located in the database to enable marks to be
    awarded. A maximum of two A4 typed pages are required.
    2. The entity-relationship diagram with corresponding relational tables.
    3. The menu system diagram showing an overview of the menu system. Written explanation is
    not necessary as the diagram should be self-explanatory.

My whole thing including the diagrams is two pages but it says what it needs to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What menu structure and macros are required for the database?

What menu structure and macros are required for the database?

Not entirely sure, the assignment says to refer to the practical which doesn't say much either mine gives access to the queries and reports required and allows simple navigation and editting of the tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

The real kicker is having to submit it on a CD. If the weather's half as bad as they say it's going to be tonight, I doubt I'll be able to make it in at all. :/

• Advertisement

The real kicker is having to submit it on a CD. If the weather's half as bad as they say it's going to be tonight, I doubt I'll be able to make it in at all. :/

Ditto :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The office was closed for a good while yesterday. Managed to submit it eventually after lunch.

Why has no one in CompSci heard of BlackBoard?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ironclaw wrote: »
    Why has no one in CompSci heard of BlackBoard?? :confused:
    Well, I've only done one CompSci course, as an elective, and the first time I saw a piece of paper was in the exam hall. I got lucky, I guess. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Not a hope of me getting to UCD this morning so i emailed Bertolotto, haven't had a reply yet.

Wheres this to be handed in? Haven't a clue where anything is in CS

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

It was to be handed in to the office, just to the left as you walk into CSI. But you've missed the deadline, so I'm not sure if the office will still accept it. If they don't you can probably just hand it to Dr. Bertolotto.

I emailed her this morning when i seen the snow but have got no reply

Advertisement