Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing new puppy to older dog..

Options
  • 27-11-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2 year old english bulldog 'seamus' and have just bought a 8 week old rottie today.

The bulldog wont leave the rottie alone, constantly sniffing her and occassionaly trying to hump her. Any one any experience with this situation as I dont want the rottie being stressed and dont want to keep putting the older dog out.

any help or suggestions much appreciated!

p.s. bulldog's are stubborn animals so bear that in mind :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is the bulldog neutered? You may be better off letting nature do its thing sometimes. The dogs themselves will need to naturally establish a pecking order, and humping is often a part of this. Male dogs will often hump eachother to establish dominance.

The bulldog will get a bit of a shock when the rottie is fully grown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

Seamus,

Bulldog is not neutered, he's starting out as a stud ( :cool: ) so won't be neutered at the mo..

Ah there actually getting on ok now, little rottie keeps winding him up! bulldog is just so strong just afraid if he plays rough he'll break her back! :eek:

Thanks for the reply..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Puppies, like human children are surprisingly flexible and can often take more of a bashing than an adult without suffering any serious injuries or broken bones. Just keep an eye on their interactions. Won't be long before the rottie is well capable of handling herself anyway :D

Before anyone else says it; if you don't plan on breeding the rottie, then get her neutered before her first heat and your life will be a million times easier. Trying to keep a female in heat away from external dogs is hard enough, I can't imagine the nightmare of doing it in your own home :)

Seamus,

Thanks for the advise, will consider it..

I can already see that she will be a handful when older :eek:

The training begins today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Good luck with her!! Always so happy when a doggie gets a doggie playmate!! I have a young dobie fella and when I introduced him to his nes baby sister I spent the first month worrying he was going to kill her! He was just so big and strong and he wouldnt leave her alone! So nosey and excited by her! Its been a year and she very much wears the trousers in the relationship! She is still a fair bit smaller than him and wont ever grow to be his size but she holds all the cards and bosses him around no end! Those first few weeks were the worst she was just so tiny and he just wanted to play and investigate her but he soon got over it and she learned to let him know when he was being too much in her face so it all worked out They the best of friends now but she will still let him know if he plays to rough or is annoying her!

• Advertisement

cjf wrote: »
    Good luck with her!! Always so happy when a doggie gets a doggie playmate!! I have a young dobie fella and when I introduced him to his nes baby sister I spent the first month worrying he was going to kill her! He was just so big and strong and he wouldnt leave her alone! So nosey and excited by her! Its been a year and she very much wears the trousers in the relationship! She is still a fair bit smaller than him and wont ever grow to be his size but she holds all the cards and bosses him around no end! Those first few weeks were the worst she was just so tiny and he just wanted to play and investigate her but he soon got over it and she learned to let him know when he was being too much in her face so it all worked out They the best of friends now but she will still let him know if he plays to rough or is annoying her!

Yeah thats exactly how the bulldog is but has calmed down since Sat but still have to keep a close eye on him as he is very playful and doesnt realise exactly how powerful he is!! Hopefully by the end of the week he'll be use to her and calm down a bit!! Once the first 2-3 weeks are over I'll be happy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Exactly! And the new pup will find her legs soon and start calling the shots! I love that my two have each other and they both like to play a bit rough so they can go off out in the garden and run rings around each other! Before we got her the other lad had no real outlet to play with other dogs because no one wanted to be his friend haha! But they have each other now and its great to see them out in garden playing! Good match a rottie and a bully!

She's already starting to call the shots, crazy little bitch :pac:

Bully just loves playing and some dogs dont know how to take him cos of his size so will be great for him to have a big strong playmate to wreck the garden with haha..

I'm amazed how big these rottie pups actually get, she's growing at some speed.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Where did you get her from? I have a 6 month old pup at the mo and a 4 year old male and the female is def going to be the boss once she matures, shes only 20kg roughly and hes 50kg and she is well able for him.

andreac wrote: »
    Where did you get her from? I have a 6 month old pup at the mo and a 4 year old male and the female is def going to be the boss once she matures, shes only 20kg roughly and hes 50kg and she is well able for him.

Bought her off a couple in Blanchardstown, mother and father were smashing dogs, great temperment and in fantastic shape.

She is 8 weeks old and crazy! Any advice for raring a rottie pup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Although this sounds daft, just leave them to it & only intervene if it looks like one might get inured. That way they'll set their own boundaries & form a pack order. :)

Advertisement