Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Manchester United thrown down the gauntlet?

• 27-11-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

After todays impressive and unexpected 7-1 victory over Blackburn have United thrown down the challenge to Arsenal and Chelsea?

This is first time United have gone on a goal rampage this season and have wiped out Chelsea's impressive goal difference. They played like a team possessed today Nani, Anderson and Berba on form with Rooney improving on his way back to full fitness. United top of table now although Chelsea play tomorrow against Newcastle. Looking to great Christmas period!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

talla10 wrote: »
    After todays impressive and unexpected 7-1 victory over Blackburn have United thrown down the challenge to Arsenal and Chelsea?

This is first time United have gone on a goal rampage this season and have wiped out Chelsea's impressive goal difference. They played like a team possessed today Nani, Anderson and Berba on form with Rooney improving on his way back to full fitness. United top of table now although Chelsea play tomorrow against Newcastle. Looking to great Christmas period!!

No they haven't , it was only blackburn after all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

If throwing down the gauntlet is hammering a poor Blackburn team at home then yes.

In terms of what I'd consider the gauntlet; then no. Comfortably beating one of the challengers would be throwing down the gauntlet.

Best performance of the season from them so far coincided with a piss poor performance from Blackburn. Good win, expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I would say United picking up points while playing shit is a far bigger worry to the other teams than the battering of a horrible Blackburn side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

FC United of Manchester would have thrashed Blackburn today.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I would say United picking up points while playing shit is a far bigger worry to the other teams than the battering of a horrible Blackburn side.

Exactly.

By their own standards United have been shit this season yet they still top the League. And that should concern Chelsea, Arsenal and City more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It was a good performance but it wasn't a masterclass by any means. They just took virtually every chance that came along.

No doubt there will be a massive fuss about Berbatov but the fact that he has scored 8 of his 12 PL goals this season in two games is very telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'd say what today might be a bigger indicator of is that United have put their patchy form behind them and are settling into their Christmas period swagger. The fact that we came through our patchy form unbeaten and level with Chelsea is the bigger deal imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Agree with above.
    They turned it on today against a poor side if they do this for the next 3,4,5 games that would be a gauntlet this is only one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

It was a very impressive performance but Blackburn were really terrible. If Utd can improve their away form then I would have them as favourites for the league. Historically they dont hit full form until after xmas anyway so they're definitely turning it on at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It was a good performance but it wasn't a masterclass by any means. They just took virtually every chance that came along.

No doubt there will be a massive fuss about Berbatov but the fact that he has scored 8 of his 12 PL goals this season in two games is very telling.

That was against two poor teams though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If a 6 goal winning margin over a rubbish* team is throwing down the gauntlet then we've already done it twice this season, home and away, where's our thread?

*Blackburn were rubbish today

December will tell a lot with games against arsenal and chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It tells more about the muck teams he scored those 8 goals against than anything else tbh.;)

Essien wrote: »
    If a 6 goal winning margin over a rubbish* team is throwing down the gauntlet then we've already done it twice this season, home and away, where's our thread?

Here it is!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055955976

to be fair everyone kinda looks forward to playin chelski these days the way they are playing.

Yes there will be a massive fuss about him but only in this game. Utd fans remember well who the majority of his goals were scored against and when he starts hammering them in against the bigger teams we'll get really excited :)

BERBA wrote: »
    to be fair everyone kinda looks forward to playin chelski these days the way they are playing.

wind-up-lamp01.jpg

cson wrote: »

Touche!

So I'll go ahead and say all this nonsense belongs in the United thread then yeah?

I know, poor form is shite. :( This must be how spurs fans feel all the time....poor bastards. [/sarcasm]

I know, poor form is shite. :( This must be how spurs fans feel all the time....poor bastards.

Have you seen Spurs lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

In terms of what I'd consider the gauntlet; then no. Comfortably beating one of the challengers would be throwing down the gauntlet.

United have played Liverpool and City so far they are playing Arsenal and Chelsea in next few weeks so hopefully can beat both. I agree Blackburn were terrible but nobody expected United to win by 6 and score 7 & today was their best performance to date and Utd are now top of table so id say its a pretty significant result maybe not the win itself but the manner of victory and scoreline was impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

Touche!

So I'll go ahead and say all this nonsense belongs in the United thread then yeah?

yeah id agree and i started thread so if any mod can move it please...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Great performance by United today, but both Arsenal and Chelsea hammered teams earlier in the season too.

Word of caution - who can guarantee that Berbatov won't go missing in games again, and that Rooney's ego won't be thrown into the spotlight again before the season is over.

I will not rule them out under Fergie, but some things could go wrong yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I know, poor form is shite. :( This must be how spurs fans feel all the time....poor bastards. [/sarcasm]
    I mean fair enough you went to have a dig back...

But have you seen them playing lately?

Nobody wants to play them at the moment, they would whoop chelski atm IMO.

talla10 wrote: »
    United have played Liverpool and City so far they are playing Arsenal and Chelsea in next few weeks so hopefully can beat both. I agree Blackburn were terrible but nobody expected United to win by 6 and score 7 & today was their best performance to date and Utd are now top of table so id say its a pretty significant result maybe not the win itself but the manner of victory and scoreline was impressive

Meh tbh.

Arsenal and Chelsea have won by 6 at home already this season.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

I'd settle for whoopin the scousers tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

*Chelsea

Super Shitfest Saturday

The Soccer Forum

Any Thread

Spurs v Chelsea

Liverpool v Manchester United

Super Shitfest Saturday

The Soccer Forum

Any Thread

Spurs v Chelsea

Liverpool v Manchester United

agh wish we were playing the goons again this weekend to be honest!;)

• Advertisement

Oh lord. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Looking forward to the end of the season when the gunners finish ahead of ye yet again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

eight in two games is really a **** ratio.. top of the goal scoring charts too.. utd have been below par all season so far.. yet they are top of the league, all there players seems to be coming back from injury and in to form.. yeah the rest of the season does not look good for utd..

roll on may and title number 19..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

people will do well to remember this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

according to most utd fans their team has been below form for 3 years, they were below form when they last won the league and last year too :p

this thread reminds me of liverpool fans when they beat southampton 7-1 or whoever heavily back in the day, "its ours to lose now"

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    eight in two games is really a **** ratio.. top of the goal scoring charts too.

The point he was making is that its all well and good to be scoring 5 against Blackburn, he hadn't scored a league goal since September. Since his last goal United have drawn with Birmingham, Sunderland, West Brom, City and Villa, he played all of these games. Now if Berbatov had chipped in with a goal in 2 or 3 of those games they would have been a hell of a lot more valuable than his 5 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have United suddenly thrown down the gauntlet? No. The challenge was always there. It's not like United started the season hoping for a top four finish.

All that has happened is what seems to happen nearly every year. A lesson many ABUs fail to heed, and it is this - you write Sir Alex Ferguson off at your peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Have United suddenly thrown down the gauntlet? No. The challenge was always there. It's not like United started the season hoping for a top four finish.

All that has happened is what seems to happen nearly every year. A lesson many ABUs fail to heed, and it is this - you write Sir Alex Ferguson off at your peril.

QFFúckingT

All that has happened is what seems to happen nearly every year.

You hockey Blackburn at home? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Gross man Gross, we like to deal in nett totals here, his nett total is 11 in 15. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

d22ontour wrote: »
    Gross man Gross,we like to deal in nett totals here, his nett total is 11 in 15. :p

? Christian-gross.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement