Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice & Snow Gear

• 27-11-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I imagine today's isn't the only snow/ice we'll have this winter so I'm looking for some solution so I can keep up my training.

These are my options:

1. DIY alterations to old running shoes as explained by robinph and heffsarmy.

2. YakTrax Pro.

3. Cross Country Shoes

I'm thinking the YakTrax Pro would be the best idea but would like to hear experience/advice from other Boards members.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I imagine today's isn't the only snow/ice we'll have this winter so I'm looking for some solution so I can keep up my training.

These are my options:

1. DIY alterations to old running shoes as explained by robinph and heffsarmy.

2. YakTrax Pro.

3. Cross Country Shoes

I'm thinking the YakTrax Pro would be the best idea but would like to hear experience/advice from other Boards members.

I would be interested to hear reviews on the YakTrax as well. I saw them on Amazon for ~£20 and thinking of getting them. I have heard mixed reviews but that was mainly from hikers so wondering what runners think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I bought a pair of YakTrax Walker this morning in Base Camp on Middle Abbey Street. They have very few left (medium and large) and have no small sizes. The Pro range don't seem to be available in any shop in Dublin.

I've ordered a small pair for my OH from Capel Camping on Capel Street. They are getting a big delivery at 2.00 today apparently.

Will report back on how I get on.

Just back from 6km walking in YakTrax Walker and they really are great. As far as I can tell the only difference between the YakTrak Walker and the YakTrax Pro (which they market as better for running) is the velcro strap across the Pro. Might try running in them tomorrow.

Capel Camping are already sold out (apparently they sold 150 units today) but will get another order on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Just back from 6km walking in YakTrax Walker and they really are great. As far as I can tell the only difference between the YakTrak Walker and the YakTrax Pro (which they market as better for running) is the velcro strap across the Pro. Might try running in them tomorrow.

Capel Camping are already sold out (apparently they sold 150 units today) but will get another order on Wednesday.
    Tempted by a pair, did you notice them much walking? like would you imagine they d be fully comfortable to run in? and grippy enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This isn't worth a new thread and this one seems relevant...

What are the footpaths in Dublin city like now? Away at the moment but heard there was alot of snow... Worth bring my gear into work tomorrow for a lunch time run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

On my way home from work at 7 it seemed hit and miss. Some are covered in snow, some ice, some a mix of slush and grit, and some lovely and clear (infront of hotels etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »

What are the footpaths in Dublin city like now? Away at the moment but heard there was alot of snow... Worth bring my gear into work tomorrow for a lunch time run?

Did 10km around city centre at lunch. Plenty of compacted snow but was grand. 25s per km slower for same HR.

That being said the uphill ride home on a fixie with a big gear was "interesting".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

mloc123 wrote: »

I'm out in Dundrum/ Sandyford and the pavements are slushy and nasty today, worse that icy and snowy. I couldn't even walk quickly in decent walking boots.

I haven't run in a week and I am having withdrawal symptoms.

Got out at lunch time, wet and slushy but fine to run on. That said, if you are a heavy heel lander I could see that causing alot of problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

For anyone over this side of the city (Dublin 2/4) Sandymount Strand is a good option for running at the moment.
    Was down there at lunchtime and if you keep in near the wall it's in decent nick.
    It's low tide around lunchtime at the moment.

Also isn't it funny how runners become more friendly the more extreme the conditions become ?
    I passed a fella today and he gave a big thumbs up as if to say 'we must be mad' or something like that ...

PK

Patrick_K wrote: »
    For anyone over this side of the city (Dublin 2/4) Sandymount Strand is a good option for running at the moment.
    Was down there at lunchtime and if you keep in near the wall it's in decent nick.
    It's low tide around lunchtime at the moment.

Also isn't it funny how runners become more friendly the more extreme the conditions become ?
    I passed a fella today and he gave a big thumbs up as if to say 'we must be mad' or something like that ...

PK

What time were you there at?

Between 1 and 1.30 or so.
    Were you that fella ? :)

Between 1 and 1.30 or so.
    Were you that fella ? :)

Didn't do thumbs up but I was there - red hat, green jacket.
    You? Not many there!

Nope was quiet enough, think I only saw 2 others, neither of which match your description.
    Thumbs up guy had no hat which I thought was quite mad.
    I'd a black hat + leggings, grey long sleeved top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I was down there around 1.30pm or so. I had no hat and gave someone a thumbs up. Blue top on, black leggings.

I nodded to another but got no reaction so that was probably Tunney ;)

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I was down there around 1.30pm or so. I had no hat and gave someone a thumbs up. Blue top on, black leggings.

I nodded to another but got no reaction so that was probably Tunney ;)

Sorry, didn't realise I knew you.

neraw1111 you'll catch your death of cold out with no hat on a day like that !
    Thumbs up none the less. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

neraw1111 you'll catch your death of cold out with no hat on a day like that !
    Thumbs up none the less. ;)

I was only venturing out for a test run but was enjoying it so much I decided to stay out. I was fine till the sleet. Brrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Am going to order some Yaktrax Pro today. Anyone know which site is best value for them?

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Am going to order some Yaktrax Pro today. Anyone know which site is best value for them?

Ordered mine from Amazon. Still waiting on them. The screws trick works but terrified of a screw coming through the sole.

So far my runners are fine, if this is gonna hold up for another week I might retire my current active runners to the homemade solution.

pgibbo wrote: »
    tunney wrote: »
    Ordered mine from Amazon. Still waiting on them. The screws trick works but terrified of a screw coming through the sole.

Ordered mine Monday due to arrive today (hopefully), anyone know of how well they work (friends using them or whatever)

I'm just back from 2 miles running with the YakTrax in the snow. I didn't slip at all, but then again the snow being fresh meant it was crunchier.

I've found compression socks a must for running in the snow. I'm overusing my calves in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I've been using microspikes, great investment. They look similar to the yaktrax.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Pocket-Traction-System/dp/B0030I3Y48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I bought a pair of Stabilicers while over in London last weekend. Went out with them for the first time today, put them on a pair of Inov-8 295s. I found them to be great, no loss of traction going uphill on black ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

I've been using the YakTrax Pro the last few days and they are really good. I did 70mins last night between compact snow on paths and icy roads. It wasn't my usual pace and I suspect like Tunney that I am still using my calves more.

Apart from that its nice weather for running :)

dapope wrote: »
    I've been using the YakTrax Pro the last few days and they are really good. I did 70mins last night between compact snow on paths and icy roads. It wasn't my usual pace and I suspect like Tunney that I am still using my calves more.

Apart from that its nice weather for running :)
    +1, used them last night and even running on sheets of ice never felt i would fall.obviously pace is slower and gait is probably messed with but they allow you to do a bit.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    +1, used them last night and even running on sheets of ice never felt i would fall.obviously pace is slower and gait is probably messed with but they allow you to do a bit.

I find the YakTrax 10-15 seconds per km slower. The DIY jobby is 20-25 seconds slower per km. I felt more secure on the ice with the YakTrax but on areas where the ice had melted the screws are better. I think for full on ice - YakTrax, once it starts to thaw screws.

Advertisement