Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice & Snow Gear

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭jlang

Use "yaktrax" as promotional coupon code when ordering from scoutgear.com for 5% discount. (Worked for me).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The screws in the soles has worked fine for me over the various snow events we had during 2010. Just got a pair of Yaktrax delivered from Amazon now, probably won't get the need to try running with them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

jlang wrote: »
    Use "yaktrax" as promotional coupon code when ordering from scoutgear.com for 5% discount. (Worked for me).

Yep.

Depending on how much you buy, the shipping may end up being more than the $6 international quoted at checkout, but you can ask them to confirm the total before shipping. Still works out way cheaper though, I got the 4 pair for €55, as against 1 pair for €25 in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭PJW

Got this link off a friend so dont know if there any good, but they are a cheaper alternitive to the Yaktraks.

http://www.safetydirect.ie/4720/Anti-Slip-Shoe-Spikes/product.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Anyone got an opinion on how YakTraks or the screws are on runs that will cover varying surfaces, some tarmac, some brick/concrete and some ice/compacted snow. I'm curious about how it feels on screws/YT on hard surfaces ? I'm prepared to slip the YT on and off if need be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Anyone got an opinion on how YakTraks or the screws are on runs that will cover varying surfaces, some tarmac, some brick/concrete and some ice/compacted snow. I'm curious about how it feels on screws/YT on hard surfaces ? I'm prepared to slip the YT on and off if need be.

I found it very slippery on all kinds of tarmac/concrete/brick/tiled footpaths. Slipping them on and off would be too frustrating for me so I just ran on snow and grass.

I found it very slippery on all kinds of tarmac/concrete/brick/tiled footpaths. Slipping them on and off would be too frustrating for me so I just ran on snow and grass.

Thanks - I would not have guessed that. I'll look at the screws option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Posted this last week, I'm sure ye prob saw it, just a cheaper alternative to the yaktrax

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056162318

Posted this last week, I'm sure ye prob saw it, just a cheaper alternative to the yaktrax

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056162318

Cheers. I'm going to take the photo to my local running store tonight and see if they have anything like it (not living in Dunnes territory)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jmccormac

Hi
    I looked at the prices of Ice Grips from many companies and some companies like safetydirect.ie advertise at one price say €16.50 but then you have to register with the website and then discover that you have to pay €7.50 delivery and €5.04 VAT which brings the final price to over €29!

I eventually found a crowd called snowsafety.ie who advertised that they will supply and deliver for €21.99. I rang them and got them to reduce the price to €19/pair when I bought 4 pairs together which was pretty good for delivery to the door.

I've ordered a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes from Amazon. Apparently they last longer than Yaktrax. I only got 20-30 miles out of Yaktrax last winter. Order now before the snow comes!

product_landing_microspikes_new.jpg

I've ordered a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes from Amazon. Apparently they last longer than Yaktrax. I only got 20-30 miles out of Yaktrax last winter. Order now before the snow comes!

product_landing_microspikes_new.jpg

20-30 miles :eek: what a swizz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

glasso wrote: »
    20-30 miles :eek: what a swizz.
    Others used them for the 4-6 weeks snow with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Those Kahtoola's are a serious piece of kit.

I don't understand how you could wear out the steel rings on the Yaktrax Pro by walking or running in snow & ice.

There is a lighter version the Walker which is a plastic band, but even this wouldn't wear out on snow and ice. Unless they are being used on cleared concrete you couldnt be abrading them away that quickly.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Others used them for the 4-6 weeks snow with no issues
    I don't understand how you could wear out the steel rings on the Yaktrax Pro by walking or running in snow & ice.

There is a lighter version the Walker which is a plastic band, but even this wouldn't wear out on snow and ice. Unless they are being used on cleared concrete you couldnt be abrading them away that quickly.

Both myself and my OH's Yaktrax snapped after walking/running 20-30 miles. Walking on concrete was kept to a bare minimum (whenever somebody cleared the footpath in front of their house). It was the Yaktrax Pro we had, in fact I think I went through 2 pairs! Strange that nobody else had that problem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Both myself and my OH's Yaktrax snapped after walking/running 20-30 miles. Walking on concrete was kept to a bare minimum (whenever somebody cleared the footpath in front of their house). It was the Yaktrax Pro we had, in fact I think I went through 2 pairs! Strange that nobody else had that problem!

I wore them quite a lot last winter. I had the standard Yaktrax walkers but used them for running. I'd say I put in about 100 miles on them in total and no problems. I expect them to last through the winter again this year....

ordered Wintertrax (cheaper version of yaktrax made by them but not marketed by them but has the extra strap like yaktrax pro) - will see how they go for running if the snow and ice arrives this year.

Advertisement