Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i entitled to Redundancy pay?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering could anyone give me some guidance on the following issue,

I was employed as a trainee accountant with a company for 3 and 1/2 years, and on completion was given a 1 year contract in a more senior position.

I was told recently that at the end of the year contract, my services are no longer required.

I was wondering would I be entitled to any redundancy payment from the company?

I never got a new written contract whenever I accepted the 2nd role, however the salary and job role did change.

Can anyone advise me where i stand? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

As far as I can see from the information given you are not entitled to a redundancy, the fact that you were a trainee in the company for 3 years won't matter because when you changed contract and were promoted the contract they gave you was for a year and they stated this to you at the time. Why was there no written contract and what does your original contract say? If the original contract has trainee in it, it is unlikely that you have a comeback on it. I hope it works out for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭joint 11th

As far as I can see from the information given you are not entitled to a redundancy, the fact that you were a trainee in the company for 3 years won't matter because when you changed contract and were promoted the contract they gave you was for a year and they stated this to you at the time. Why was there no written contract and what does your original contract say? If the original contract has trainee in it, it is unlikely that you have a comeback on it. I hope it works out for you

Thanks for the feedback.

I was promised a written contract, however this was never given to me, and as I was happy with the status quo, i didnt chase it up. Hence, i never signed saying it was for a 1 year period.

The original contract is the standard ICAI contract, which has a 3 1/2 year time frame.

I might speak to a manager to see is there any possibility of a redundancy payment, i suppose it is worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

joint 11th wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was promised a written contract, however this was never given to me, and as I was happy with the status quo, i didnt chase it up. Hence, i never signed saying it was for a 1 year period.

The original contract is the standard ICAI contract, which has a 3 1/2 year time frame.

I might speak to a manager to see is there any possibility of a redundancy payment, i suppose it is worth a try anyway.

Its worth a try asking anyways, as far as the law goes it appears that they are above board in letting you go without a redundancy payment although a written contract should have been given to you in the first place, without it you have no proof of any agreement. Good luck with it.

Advertisement