Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help OPF calculation

• 27-11-2010 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

never received OPF, as i was full time. Now my hours been reduced to 32 per week. ( 11e p.h.). Any suggestions how much is OPF and other social welfare entitlements. I have 8 and 7 year old and dont receive any maintenance.
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

how many days per week are you working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Vaida123

I was working 5 days per week ( 8 hours per day).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

To calculate your OPF rate, take your gross earnings and deduct your PRSI, union fees, Pension deductions. Then subtract 146.50. Then half your answer. And that answer then is your means from your employment. So your weekly rate would be 196 + 29.80 per child, minus your means.

If you have been reduced to 3 days or less you may also have an entitlement to half rate Jobseeker's Benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

The number of days or hours you work is irrelevant. You can work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, it is what your gross weekly pay that is counted.

You can earn between €146.50 and €425.00 and still get a portion of OPF. The first €146.50 is disregarded, and the remaining amount is roughly halved and taken as means.

eg if you earn €200 pw , you are allowed €146.50, so the calculation would be as follows

€200 - €146.50 = €53.50. This figure is halved = €26.75. This equates to a means of €20 pw. There is also allowance for PRSI/Union fees/and PRSA.

Now, how that will change in the budget is anyone's guess, but at the moment the payment rate for adult and 2 children is €255.60, means of €20 would be deducted (if you were on the example given above of €200 pw), so total payment to you would be €235.60.

I'd advise you to apply ASAP, as there is a huge backlog with One Parent Family claims.

• Advertisement
Advertisement