Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec Me a GPU Please!

Options
  • 27-11-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. My 4870 is giving up the ghost so I'm looking to replace it in the next week or so.

I can stretch to something priced between €150-€200, including delivery. I know that anything in this price range should be a step up from the 4870, but I'm out of the loop with graphics cards at the moment, so not sure where the best value lies?

I should point out that I have no brand loyalty, so anything from either camp is fine. I would however prefer something on the quieter side, be that a decent stock cooler, or even better, a good third party cooler. In fact, as this card is somewhat of an emergency stop gap, I'd be more than willing to sacrifice slightly lower fps in favour of slightly lower noise emission!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and look forward to the responses!

Oh, and the rest of the system;
    E8400 @ 3.8GHz
    Asus P5K Pro
    4GB RAM
    Corsair HX620.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

for around that price you would be looking at the AMD 6850 for around 180 with shipping
    or a good bang for buck card would be the Nvidia 460 for around 160 with shipping
    if your budget could stretch the best mid to high end card at the moment is the AMD 6870 for around 230 with shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Thanks Skerries, I'll check out some reviews on the 6850 and 460. I'm guessing they're closely matched in terms of performance, but sure I'll check them out anyway.

Also, I heard the 480 was relatively loud. Is the 460 similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The 460 is much better than the older 480 in terms of power consumption and heat. Aim for the 1GB one instead of the 768MB as there's quite a difference.

Monotype wrote: »
    The 460 is much better than the older 480 in terms of power consumption and heat. Aim for the 1GB one instead of the 768MB as there's quite a difference.
    Just found out I have to avoid the SE edition of this card, as it's a bit of a cut back version. But thanks... I hear the regular 460 clocks really well also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just found out I have to avoid the SE edition of this card, as it's a bit of a cut back version. But thanks... I hear the regular 460 clocks really well also?

Yes it does, you can easily oc it from 675mhz on the core to 850mhz. Havent gone any higher myself. Max temps oced never seem to go over 65c either, which is pretty amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

OP

Keep an eye on adverts.ie. There is always a selection of high spec kit going at good prices. I recently bought a Sapphire HD5870 Vapour X for just over 200 quid. The card is bliiiiiiiiisssssssssttteerrring. Running games at full res / spec now with beautiful frame rates. Might try and get another one to drive CrossfireX or Eyefinity tripple monitor at some stage.

dnme wrote: »
    OP

Keep an eye on adverts.ie. There is always a selection of high spec kit going at good prices. I recently bought a Sapphire HD5870 Vapour X for just over 200 quid. The card is bliiiiiiiiisssssssssttteerrring. Running games at full res / spec now with beautiful frame rates. Might try and get another one to drive CrossfireX or Eyefinity tripple monitor at some stage.
    I might just do that. Thanks for the heads up!

Advertisement