Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope and cold weather

Options
  • 27-11-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I was out with the rifle last night after mr fox. It was absolutely freezing but anyway no sign of him. I was out for about an hour or more and i came back in. I just looked though the scope and nothing! The inside was frozen, or im thinking the gas inside had some reaction to the cold, anyone else ever seen this?

After a while inside it was perfect again. I have tissue paper wrapped around it and tape so im hoping that will work tonight. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ArseLtd wrote: »
    I was out with the rifle last night after mr fox. It was absolutely freezing but anyway no sign of him. I was out for about an hour or more and i came back in. I just looked though the scope and nothing! The inside was frozen, or im thinking the gas inside had some reaction to the cold, anyone else ever seen this?

After a while inside it was perfect again. I have tissue paper wrapped around it and tape so im hoping that will work tonight. :cool:

That should be frost on the lense not the inside, takes severe cold for gas to freeze.
    If you give the lense a wipe of isopropyl alcohol it will not condensate and freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

That should be frost on the lense not the inside, takes severe cold for gas to freeze.
    If you give the lense a wipe of isopropyl alcohol it will not condensate and freeze

Nope! It wasn't on the outside. Of course thats the first thing i tried, i wiped front and back lens. But i could see on the front lens it was on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

what sort of scope is it

ormondprop wrote: »
    what sort of scope is it

Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40. I got it off ebay over a year ago and this is the first problem i've had with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

as was said before the gas inside should not freeze unless some moisture has managed to get inside somehow and that is whats freezing, have you had it long and is it still under warranty as i would email simmons about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As you got the scope off the bay I would think it was opened at sometime in the past and the ANTI fogging nitrogen gas escaped out. The water vapour in air inside the tube will freeze now just as you have seen for yourself.
    It will also start to fog up when the dew point of the air inside gets below a certain point and starts to condensate on the inside of the colder glass lens.

clivej wrote: »
    As you got the scope off the bay I would think it was opened at sometime in the past and the ANTI fogging nitrogen gas escaped out. The water vapour in air inside the tube will freeze now just as you have seen for yourself.
    It will also start to fog up when the dew point of the air inside gets below a certain point and starts to condensate on the inside of the colder glass lens.

That sounds right Clivej. I think i'll see if i can send it away to Simmons for repair. I remember it saying it had warranty on it. Thanks for that.

Advertisement