Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate change bill.

• 27-11-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I saw in the examiner today that those f'ing greens want to ram through a climate change bill before they leave office. It didn't say what was in it so does anybody here know? We can probably guess ie. more tax :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Pacoa wrote: »
    I saw in the examiner today that those f'ing greens want to ram through a climate change bill before they leave office. It didn't say what was in it so does anybody here know? We can probably guess ie. more tax :mad:
    Well the fcukers got their say in the 4 year plan by doubling carbon tax :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

The sooner the f*&k&*g greens are gone the better. They don`t stand for anything remotely green or good, they just turned out to be a shower of clueless idiots with daft ideas.
    That Gormley gives the impression that its wrong to be a farmer, Ireland shouldn't grow grass or have livestock....
    Yet what have we got since they came into the government ? A big housing bliss across the countryside, Drive out into the countryside now and all you see in every field is a big monument of a 2 storey house facing the road with a big gas guzzling 4X4 outside all owned by the banks!!

The Arabs have a great way of showing disgust to someone and thats give em a slap of the sole of your shoe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

global warming never existed for the reasons it said were the cause. Governments latched onto it to create jobs, an industry, and raise money by taxes such as a carbon tax. Its sort of a conspiracy theory in my view

plenty articles on the net no need for me to cite i think, though sceptics may wish to google climate gate. There are enough articles against climate change as for it except that state agencies are pushing the view it does exist as if they said it didn't then gov would cut the projects. Jobs for the boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

John_F wrote: »
    global warming never existed for the reasons it said were the cause. Governments latched onto it to create jobs, an industry, and raise money by taxes such as a carbon tax. Its sort of a conspiracy theory in my view

plenty articles on the net no need for me to cite i think, though sceptics may wish to google climate gate. There are enough articles against climate change as for it except that state agencies are pushing the view it does exist as if they said it didn't then gov would cut the projects. Jobs for the boys

Totally agree. Anyone that's studies any type of geography or weather patterns at third level will see scientific data of natural weather patterns which were occurring 1000 years ago before any CFCs or CO2 interfered with the ozone. Temperatures rise year on year for a fixed period of years, they also fall for a fixed period of years. All of my third level Georgaphy lecturers believed that Global Warming was and is a farse but a great way for governments to take in extra revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

I'm not a violent man...... but I'd gladly kick seven sorts of sh**e out of those greens. They've tried to nail country living at every opportunity. If this recession has a silver lining at all, is has exposed them for what they truly are.... spineless, clueless, idiots with half-baked ideas and more concerned with tweeting that governing what was a small open economy and is now an economic disaster zone...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

I listened to a fella talking on the radio who had written some book about it he made out it was a load of bull and even if we stopped producing emissions here the rate at which india and china are developing it wouldnt make a difference :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    The sooner the f*&k&*g greens are gone the better. They don`t stand for anything remotely green or good, they just turned out to be a shower of clueless idiots with daft ideas.
    That Gormley gives the impression that its wrong to be a farmer, Ireland shouldn't grow grass or have livestock....
    Yet what have we got since they came into the government ? A big housing bliss across the countryside, Drive out into the countryside now and all you see in every field is a big monument of a 2 storey house facing the road with a big gas guzzling 4X4 outside all owned by the banks!!

The Arabs have a great way of showing disgust to someone and thats give em a slap of the sole of your shoe!!

im indifferent to whether the greens survive or not but il be absolutley brokenhearted if fianna fail are not made extinct in the next decade

We could do with a few politicians like this fellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

I tend to take the opposite view. The facts of climate change are incontrovertible: the climate is changing, and quickly. The vast majority of climate scientists (99%) accept that human activity has brought on these changes, chiefly through the greenhouse gases that have been released into the atmosphere in the last three hundred years. Naturally enough, this has become politicised.

I think we don't have the political or economic means of addressing this problem, either in this country or in the world at large. It is simply too big and the stakes are too high. This isn't surprising - there are lots of problems we can't deal with - but climate change will be the undoing of us if we don't work out some way of dealing with it.

• Advertisement

theroad wrote: »
    I tend to take the opposite view. The facts of climate change are incontrovertible: the climate is changing, and quickly. The vast majority of climate scientists (99%) accept that human activity has brought on these changes, chiefly through the greenhouse gases that have been released into the atmosphere in the last three hundred years. Naturally enough, this has become politicised.

I think we don't have the political or economic means of addressing this problem, either in this country or in the world at large. It is simply too big and the stakes are too high. This isn't surprising - there are lots of problems we can't deal with - but climate change will be the undoing of us if we don't work out some way of dealing with it.

99%.... are you for real, the people who carry out these studies dont even accept the world was warming up, did you google climate gate?

also if you look at the facts that governments dont want you to know

take time to look at these videos if you are open to topic

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushvision

plenty more videos that are not propaganda available if ya look beyond the cover

topic is v discussed in oz and nz because of carbon trading (a tax) and carbaon tax

Yes, I am for real. I put forward a point of view that differs from the consensus on this thread so far. Climate change is a fact. Prof. Bob Carter's (the bloke in the videos) work needs to be set against the work of others in the field, the overwhelming majority of whom support the view that human activity is a cause of climate change. That is simply what most climate scientists think.

That said, I think carbon taxes and carbon trading are most likely a scam. But we do need to work out a way of reducing GHG emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

-3 c here at present with up -11c forecast to night

global warming my ar$e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

snowman707 wrote: »
    -3 c here at present with up -11c forecast to night

global warming my ar$e

Weather is not climate.

Could do with a bit of global warming here. All the water troughs are like blocks of iron.

Tis a scam i say, A SCAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bucklesman wrote: »
    Yet if we get a bit of extreme weather the global warming activists latch onto it to spout their bs. What exactly is the base average global temperature that they are using? I would think that it would be impossible to find an average global temperature.

why did the phrase change from 'global warming' to 'climate change'.... because al gores term wasn't working out when the world wasnt heating up, so said 'lads we have to come up with a new word....ahhhh climate change'

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Yet if we get a bit of extreme weather the global warming activists latch onto it to spout their bs. What exactly is the base average global temperature that they are using? I would think that it would be impossible to find an average global temperature.

You're right about its being difficult to establish average global temperature, which is why people like U.S. National Climatic Data Center (those damn global warming activists) use temperature anomalies instead. The data are all there on the net if you're interested.

John_F wrote: »
    why did the phrase change from 'global warming' to 'climate change'.... because al gores term wasn't working out when the world wasnt heating up, so said 'lads we have to come up with a new word....ahhhh climate change'

Global warming describes the observed trend of rising temperatures at different locations around the world, climate change describes the effects of global warming. Simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You're right about its being difficult to establish average global temperature, which is why people like U.S. National Climatic Data Center (those damn global warming activists) use temperature anomalies instead. The data are all there on the net if you're interested.
    What are the or were the perfect normal temperatures? It's very easy to draw a graph or give data if you want to back up your case whether it's true or not is another thing.

Yeah, that's the problem: is it true or not?

On the one hand you have almost all scientific opinion, every major scientific body in the world, thousands of working scientists saying that climate change is human-caused. On the other hand there is a tiny number of scientists taking the opposite view. Obviously, differences of opinion in science are a good thing but in this case I think the majority view is correct.

Then there's the politics of climate change. I am suspicious of the "carbon tax and trade" lobby because I think that is probably a scam. However, the other side are worse. Look at who is paying for the anti-climate change lobby: big oil companies, the Heartland Institute, the American Enterprise Institute... These are not disinterested observers, giving their money out of simple generosity.

I think in the end two things help: to separate the science from the politics as best we can, and to keep asking "who benefits?" Follow the money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Well if you ever see John Gormlet turf/wellie attack ye will know who it was
    Shauny2010 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

A record long cold period in January now followed by record low November temperatures quickly followed by record low December temperatures. Call me stupid but if AGW is real there would be no need to punish people by increasing taxes as they wouldn't have as much need for home heating.

Teclo wrote: »
    Call me stupid but if AGW is real there would be no need to punish people by increasing taxes as they wouldn't have as much need for home heating.

I can't, it's against the charter. :P

The idea of putting a tax on fuel in order to encourage people to reduce their carbon emissions is to stop or minimise climate change before it gets too warm.

It's to encourage energy efficiency measures like insulation and upgraded boilers, as well as getting people to switch to renewable energy.

Bucklesman wrote: »
    I can't, it's against the charter. :P

The idea of putting a tax on fuel in order to encourage people to reduce their carbon emissions is to stop or minimise climate change before it gets too warm.

It's to encourage energy efficiency measures like insulation and upgraded boilers, as well as getting people to switch to renewable energy.
    Stop climate change :D

Yeah, that's the problem: is it true or not?

On the one hand you have almost all scientific opinion, every major scientific body in the world, thousands of working scientists saying that climate change is human-caused. On the other hand there is a tiny number of scientists taking the opposite view. Obviously, differences of opinion in science are a good thing but in this case I think the majority view is correct.

Then there's the politics of climate change. I am suspicious of the "carbon tax and trade" lobby because I think that is probably a scam. However, the other side are worse. Look at who is paying for the anti-climate change lobby: big oil companies, the Heartland Institute, the American Enterprise Institute... These are not disinterested observers, giving their money out of simple generosity.

I think in the end two things help: to separate the science from the politics as best we can, and to keep asking "who benefits?" Follow the money!
    Do you think governments are being generous giving scientists money? We know for a fact that they have doctored data to make the situation look worse than it is. It wasn't so long ago when they had weapons of mass destruction and would have no bother using them, now all of a sudden they want to save the planet from it's climate :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Europe was far warmer than now during the medieval warm period, I guess it must have been wildlife farting too much.
    Then we went from that to the little ice age and we have been warming up since then.
    Ice melts in the Alps shows people lived high up in the Alps where it would be impossible to live today.

We have weather stations that either moved or have areas build up around them, concrete will create warming as opposed to having a grass surface around the weather station.
    Are we to believe that airplanes at airports where there are weather stations are not responsible for warming up the area?
    The moving weather stations of China, it would be like saying the temperature results at Oak Park represent Kilkenny since Oak park was opened to replace Kilkenny - this is what happened in China.
    Temperature results used are not comparing like with like, a weather station that started off as rural but got a lot of buildings put up around it over time is not comparing like with like.
    Same with the airports, is Dublin airport the same now as it was lets say 30 years ago when it comes to it's weather station?
    Millions more use it, lots of new buildings, lots more airplanes use it. I bet Dublin airport would give evidence of warming and it would be due to humans but not the way the climate change people would want to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It's a bit like the whole debate about the Irish Property market a few years back, where vested interest, namely politicians and bank economists dismissed the whole idea of a price bubble as nonsense. Remember Bertie's "why dont they go commit suicide" comment.

In the end, it was the university professors, the most educated of them all, who were proved to be right.

Farmers have a vested interest in not wanting to believe the whole "global warning" thing, but you cant dismiss the science. There are people stil out there who believe the earth is flat.

You dont believe me!
    http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Min wrote: »
    Europe was far warmer than now during the medieval warm period, I guess it must have been wildlife farting too much.
    Then we went from that to the little ice age and we have been warming up since then.
    Ice melts in the Alps shows people lived high up in the Alps where it would be impossible to live today.

We have weather stations that either moved or have areas build up around them, concrete will create warming as opposed to having a grass surface around the weather station.
    Are we to believe that airplanes at airports where there are weather stations are not responsible for warming up the area?
    The moving weather stations of China, it would be like saying the temperature results at Oak Park represent Kilkenny since Oak park was opened to replace Kilkenny - this is what happened in China.
    Temperature results used are not comparing like with like, a weather station that started off as rural but got a lot of buildings put up around it over time is not comparing like with like.
    Same with the airports, is Dublin airport the same now as it was lets say 30 years ago when it comes to it's weather station?
    Millions more use it, lots of new buildings, lots more airplanes use it. I bet Dublin airport would give evidence of warming and it would be due to humans but not the way the climate change people would want to admit.

That's been looked at and debunked.

However, over the Northern Hemisphere land areas where urban heat islands are most apparent, both the trends of lower-tropospheric temperature and surface air temperature show no significant differences. In fact, the lower-tropospheric temperatures warm at a slightly greater rate over North America (about 0.28°C/decade using satellite data) than do the surface temperatures (0.27°C/decade).

HOGAN SHIFTS POLICY ON CLIMATE CHANGE AS BILL 'NOT A PRIORITY'

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1103/1224306980840.html

Looks like the climate change bull will be gathering a bit of dust for a while, no harm! Looks like hogan has more sense in him than gormless ever will, also seen him on tv a few times and he keeps his calm every time
    A RADICAL shift in policy on climate change is to be outlined by Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan today, when he announces that a climate change Bill is not a priority.
    He said the other fundamental difference between him and Mr Gormley was that he believed that environmental protection and a competitive economy were complementary, not competing. “We are aiming to become a low-carbon competitive economy,” he said.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    It's a bit like the whole debate about the Irish Property market a few years back, where vested interest, namely politicians and bank economists dismissed the whole idea of a price bubble as nonsense. Remember Bertie's "why dont they go commit suicide" comment.

In the end, it was the university professors, the most educated of them all, who were proved to be right.

Farmers have a vested interest in not wanting to believe the whole "global warning" thing, but you cant dismiss the science. There are people stil out there who believe the earth is flat.

You dont believe me!
    http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/
    What have people that believe the earth is flat got to do with people that don't believe in this man made climate change nonsense?

Advertisement