Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Droid Android app

• 27-11-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I've just released my first android app into the android market, and would really appreciate if people could check it out and give me some feedback. I've tested on a Galaxy S and a HTC Desire so far, and would be interested to see how it performs on other devices. Information is available here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I've been meaning to try out some of these money management apps so yours is the first I've tried....

I like it. Very easy to set up and use. Not too many silly settings and needless features. Does (almost) everything I need.

I would like to able to sync it (with the Mrs. phone for eg.) and I'd also like to be able to export the transactions (.csv maybe?)

Excellent first app. Gave you a good review on market and appbrain.

Ohh ability to edit automated transactions afterwards would be good too. Eg. €50 for ESB every month and then bill is only €48...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭theblacknight

Thanks Scotty! If you open the auto transactions and select a transaction you can edit it using the menu. I will add an export feature to the to-do list.
    Thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

At first glance it seems pretty handy and I can see myself using it.

I normally store my stuff in a spreadsheet so being able to put an expense into the phone without pressing 600 buttons is a positive.
    +1 for the Export to CSV so that I could import to my spreadsheet once a week or month.

I'd like to be able to edit the categories on the Purchase screen. They're pretty comprehensive but snacks & tobacco are no good to me. Either changing the categories names or putting more detail into Other would be beneficial.

Anyway fantastic app for your first one on the market.

By the way, off topic but I've been trying to get into trying to write some apps for Android. I've done Java in college but the Android books are still gobbledegook. Is there any resource you'd recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭wba88

Nice app, especially for your first one.

I like the clean and simplistic UI. One suggestion would be in accounts take away 'Name:' so it just shows the actual name set up for the account. Works on a desire hd anyway. Ill rate it for you :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm will begin working on the next version in the next couple of days. I will try and include all of your suggestions. I will also be including a statistics section, that will give you aggregrate information about all of your transactions.
    By the way, off topic but I've been trying to get into trying to write some apps for Android. I've done Java in college but the Android books are still gobbledegook. Is there any resource you'd recommend.

I have found that Google's developer resources are very good. I also found a lot of good information is various blogs. I am planning on putting up some tutorials on my site, so if there is anything specific you would like to learn about let me know and I can try put together a tutorial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Take a look at anddev.org. It has info and tutorials out the YaYa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Thanks Scotty! If you open the auto transactions and select a transaction you can edit it using the menu. I will add an export feature to the to-do list.
    Thanks again!

Hi again, when I said about editing auto transactions I meant after the transaction has been made... Eg. you had €600 set up to be auto added to an account but later you found out the figure was actually €567. There is no way to adjust it (apart from doing a dummy debit transaction). Would be nice to be able to just click and alter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Nice app. One suggestion - an option to add fortnightly automated transactions.

Nice app. One suggestion - an option to add fortnightly automated transactions.

This is coming in the next update, thanks for the download and feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Nice app. I downloaded it and tried it out today. I'd echo the comment above about allowing the user to edit and customise the categories.

I'd also like to see the number of screens cut down for ATM. Maybe pre-populate it with some common withdrawals, €20/€40/etc perhaps and allow the user to setup a default account to withdraw it from (thus removing the "account pick" screen)? I'm thinking that when I'm at an ATM, I'd rather have my phone out for as few seconds as possible to make the note!

Edit: Maybe allow the user to customise and setup their own common ATM withdrawal amounts as each person is different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Just downloaded it too and left a positive review.
    One question though, I tried to move it to my SD card and I can't - is this something that you might change or is it something that can be changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'll be checking it out. I only posted a threadooking for suggestions for these apps.

Thanks for all the feedback and reviews. I've started working on the next update. My priorities are:
    1. Allow customisation of purchase categories
    2. Export transactions/accounts functionality
    3. Automated transactions two week schedule
    4. Customisable ATM interactions
    5. Gathering of some statistics
    I will also try and include other feature requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about security. Would it be possible to enable a password to access the app in the next update. I like to keep my account history private.

tech2 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about security. Would it be possible to enable a password to access the app in the next update. I like to keep my account history private.

Yes this would be possible. The reason I didn't include this is that there is no real sensitive date (pin numbers/account numbers) saved. I will however include password protection for the accounts and auto transactions screens, so that you can still quickly and easily do purchases and ATM transactions without having to log in. You will also be able to enable/disable this feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

The password would assist in concealing your accounts from nosey friends and family that like to play with your phone ;)

In addition to being able to customize purchase categories it would be great to be able to make a note within that. Ie: purchase, dining, cash, 6 euro but then an option to note that it was restaurant x or y, still within dining rather than having to generate a new category.

It's the only functionality I miss from my old app.

Otherwise, great app, loving it so far. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Trying you're app for the last 2 days. Working well. I guess i would probably echo some of the suggestions above (customisable categories, customisable automated recurring charges)

I usually pay all my credit card monthly (may not be able to continue doing this mind you :(), and I was wondering if it was possible to set this to automatically deduct as it knows how much the bill is, and I could just input the date for when the billing month starts/ends and the date the payment goes through. Maybe this is too complicated, but it would be neat.

Also would be nice to delete purchases - I bought a couple of pints last night (not my first one of the night) and dutifully set about adding a groceries purchase, I hit my current account instead of cash, and as I couldn't delete it I tried to transfer the amount from my cash account to current, but did it the other way around -I was starting to get left with some pretty tricky sums to do a few pints into the evening - anyway I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks for the efforts:)

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions, a new version of the app is now available on the android market. I have implemented a lot of the suggestions that I got, and anything that I haven't added is still in the to-do list.

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions, a new version of the app is now available on the android market. I have implemented a lot of the suggestions that I got, and anything that I haven't added is still in the to-do list.
    Your timing is good as the app crashed yesterday and deleted all my accounts!

I updated the app but can't find anything different? Do you have a changelog that you could post?

• Advertisement

Your timing is good as the app crashed yesterday and deleted all my accounts!

I updated the app but can't find anything different? Do you have a changelog that you could post?

There is info at [url]HTTP://lambfruit.com[/url], most new features are available in the menu on the transactions screen, and the the home screen in the settings.

I've been getting installation unsuccessful every time I've tried.

Nevore wrote: »
    I've been getting installation unsuccessful every time I've tried.

Is there any specific error message? What phone are you using? Is this a fresh install or update?

There is info at [url]HTTP://lambfruit.com[/url], most new features are available in the menu on the transactions screen, and the the home screen in the settings.
    Ah, I see them now. Good job. Many worthy improvements! Only thing I could comment on is that you cannot re-order the lists - e.g. when you add a new category (to purchases or to ATM) it appears at the bottom rather than in alphabetical or numerical order!

I'm loving the app, though. Very useful for keeping tabs on balances while out and about.

Ah, I see them now. Good job. Many worthy improvements! Only thing I could comment on is that you cannot re-order the lists - e.g. when you add a new category (to purchases or to ATM) it appears at the bottom rather than in alphabetical or numerical order!

I'm loving the app, though. Very useful for keeping tabs on balances while out and about.

These lists will be sorted in 1.5.1 :).

Is there any specific error message? What phone are you using? Is this a fresh install or update?
    Fresh install. No specific error, just a stat message in the pulldown notification bar.
    Didn't seem to be a WiFi issue because I downloaded other things both before and after.
    I'll give it another go tonight.

Fresh install. No specific error, just a stat message in the pulldown notification bar.
    Didn't seem to be a WiFi issue because I downloaded other things both before and after.
    I'll give it another go tonight.

One of the articles here might be handy:

http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=1067233

None of their suggestions seem to have any effect. Odd.

Odd indeed. Had some reports of a similar issue from people on my app before but they always seemed to just go away after a while! As developers the install process is out of our hands really, would be interesting to see what the logs say.

• Advertisement

None of their suggestions seem to have any effect. Odd.

I could give an apk that you can install manually if you want to check it out, see if that makes any difference.

Advertisement