Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hope for Dublin manhood!

Options
  • 27-11-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Up where I live, in oh-so-fashionable-but-tragically-pretentious South Dublin (or SoCoDu according to some) i have of late noticed a certain trend towards douchebaggery in the young that i had not previously spotted. Before, when I was young - being from Dublin 16 meant aspiring to go to DIT and do engineering with "the lads" - now it seems to be a prerequisite to being a bumboy. Weak, weedy young men with no ability to fix a puncture or crap in the woods, too used to "delicate" hobbies such as French horn and soft touch schooling which resulted in too few beatings during the formative junior cert years.

Everywhere is infested with scensters, and poseurs, emos and metros. With Skinny jeans hanging around their arses, A pair of converse high tops, hair screwed on to their heads and a pair of black rimmed glasses, they are the arbiters of cool in post Celtic Tiger Dublin. Ambition do not usually involve going to UCD for Orts, as that is too mainstream, rather the attraction lies in animation, media and other limp wristed quiche eating courses.

What is to be done about this? When the zombie wars erupt we will need to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with real men, those who can lobotomise a living dead with a well timed crack of a hurley,- instead we will have the company of girly men raised on x factor who think the zombies look like Jedward. What will we do? Their delicate nature will sell us all to ghoulish oblivion!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Who gives a crap about them, they'll be the first to die in a zombie war anyway! they'll make weak zombies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Cocaines a hell of a drug..........huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I grew up in Dublin 16. I don't know any fellas who aspired to go to do engineering in DIT with the lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Douchebaggery?

Who are you to point the finger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Its funny how most people have Irish youth boiled down to either a) the type of posh dubliners the OP is talking about or b) a bunch of skangers.

Jesus wept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Waestrel wrote: »
    Up where I live, in oh-so-fashionable-but-tragically-pretentious South Dublin (or SoCoDu according to some) i have of late noticed a certain trend towards douchebaggery in the young that i had not previously spotted. Before, when I was young - being from Dublin 16 meant aspiring to go to DIT and do engineering with "the lads" - now it seems to be a prerequisite to being a bumboy. Weak, weedy young men with no ability to fix a puncture or crap in the woods, too used to "delicate" hobbies such as French horn and soft touch schooling which resulted in too few beatings during the formative junior cert years.

Everywhere is infested with scensters, and poseurs, emos and metros. With Skinny jeans hanging around their arses, A pair of converse high tops, hair screwed on to their heads and a pair of black rimmed glasses, they are the arbiters of cool in post Celtic Tiger Dublin. Ambition do not usually involve going to UCD for Orts, as that is too mainstream, rather the attraction lies in animation, media and other limp wristed quiche eating courses.

What is to be done about this? When the zombie wars erupt we will need to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with real men, those who can lobotomise a living dead with a well timed crack of a hurley,- instead we will have the company of girly men raised on x factor who think the zombies look like Jedward. What will we do? Their delicate nature will sell us all to ghoulish oblivion!

You should learn to chill out, old man.

You'll give yourself a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Up where I live, in oh-so-fashionable-but-tragically-pretentious South Dublin (or SoCoDu according to some)

Move out so.

Or do you live with your old pair?

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Its funny how most people have Irish youth boiled down to either a) the type of posh dubliners the OP is talking about or b) a bunch of skangers.

Jesus wept

He was a douche bag too. Bleedin' carpenter and you'd think we'd find some of his handiwork in the bible? Noooooooooooo. He went around waffling his brain softy waffly jargon and making people zombies and making people become vegans (may not be true).

Aw, can Jesus not heal the splinters from his fingys? Awwwwwwwww.

Any questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A recession might help.
    I can see this actually happening. The country will be in recession within two years. Mark my words.
    Then they won't have enough money to be scenesters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What do you suggest to toughen them up OP?

When they're newborns, leave them on top of a hill overnight in the winter and if they survive they'll be considered tough enough to be considered potential real men?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Not so long ago a generation aspired to go to Scotland picking spuds or working in the gardens / on the roads in England. You had it soft, in your own way :p

So the Celtic tiger generation got it even softer, they will harden the fúck up because they will have to, simples. Dont be a begrudger, i bet your Granny looked at you rocking out to Fame in your leg warmers and thought wtf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

awful dose of the Ghey doing the rounds in D16 at the minute, might explain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

What do you suggest to toughen them up OP?

When they're newborns, leave them on top of a hill overnight in the winter and if they survive they'll be considered tough enough to be considered potential real men?

Yes, this sounds good. Above Lough Bray near Glencree would be Ideal
    Dont be a begrudger, i bet your Granny looked at you rocking out to Fame in your leg warmers and thought wtf!!

Not that old!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yes, I too dislike those who are different to me.

Instead of milk give babies this. That'll sort the men from the douchbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

2 years service in the Army for everyone when they are 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    2 years service in the Army for everyone when they are 18
    Even women and disabled people?

Everyone is a bit harsh tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Even women and disabled people?

Everyone is a bit harsh tbh.

Especially them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I shouldve been clearer but since manhood was in the thread title I thought I'd leave it out, 2 years service for men so but then they might say that is sexist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I studied in DIT Bolton Street in the 90s... the place was full of engineering students, all blokes, dressed in brown suede boots & lumberjack shirts tucked into their Levis, and listening to Bryan Adams.

It wasn't something to aspire to, in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Especially them!!
    :eek:

Very harsh woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

You're right OP, everyone must conform. Individuality must be discouraged or else we wont be able to put people into neat little boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

You're right OP, everyone must conform. Individuality must be discouraged or else we wont be able to put people into neat little boxes.

Zombies burrow out of the neat little boxes they are buried in, unless the coffin is buried upside down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Go back to the old days, beatings for everyone!

Powerthirst works too, or failing that, Old Spice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Yes everything must be neat und tidy for the germans IMF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A real man would already be out hunting naked in the forest with nothing but a smeared coat of his own fecal matter to protect him, and yet here you are on the internet whining. I'd be out there too if I hadn't been cut in half by a landmine, mauled by lizards and left to die in the baking sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm going to abandon all my gender equality morals for this one. I am sick to ****ing death of my teenage boy friends WHO INSIST ON TELLING ME ALL THEIR ****ING EMOTIONS!

I'm a girl not Dr Phil for Christ's sake. Them and their skinny jeans and time consuming hair.

• Advertisement

I'm going to abandon all my gender equality morals for this one. I am sick to ****ing death of my teenage boy friends WHO INSIST ON TELLING ME ALL THEIR ****ING EMOTIONS!

I'm a girl not Dr Phil for Christ's sake. Them and their skinny jeans and time consuming hair.

Jays you get around wha?

:p

Advertisement