Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hope for Dublin manhood!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

chin_grin wrote: »
    Jays you get around wha?

:p

There needs to be a word for friends who are boys. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There needs to be a word for friends who are boys. :P

"male acquaintances" perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What do you suggest to toughen them up OP?

When they're newborns, leave them on top of a hill overnight in the winter and if they survive they'll be considered tough enough to be considered potential real men?

Nah mandatory military service, run'em up and down hills and being told when to eat,sleep and shíte will wise a lot of them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The new, cool anti-Pighead is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

It sounds like you're trying to be a bit too trendy yourself with words like "douchebaggery" and talk of zombies. And if you're so concerned about "bumboys" why are you paying so much attention to what other males look like?

You know what? - you're right. I take it all back! Thank you anonymous internet person for showing me the error of my ways and not realising I might be indulging in bad comedy on a snowed in Saturday night.

Do you give guitar lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Y'see; the kids they listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage.
    With their hippin' and their hoppin and the bippin' and the boppin', so they don't know what the Jazz is all about. Y'see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Waestrel wrote: »
    Up where I live, in oh-so-fashionable-but-tragically-pretentious South Dublin (or SoCoDu according to some) i have of late noticed a certain trend towards douchebaggery in the young that i had not previously spotted. Before, when I was young - being from Dublin 16 meant aspiring to go to DIT and do engineering with "the lads" - now it seems to be a prerequisite to being a bumboy. Weak, weedy young men with no ability to fix a puncture or crap in the woods, too used to "delicate" hobbies such as French horn and soft touch schooling which resulted in too few beatings during the formative junior cert years.

Everywhere is infested with scensters, and poseurs, emos and metros. With Skinny jeans hanging around their arses, A pair of converse high tops, hair screwed on to their heads and a pair of black rimmed glasses, they are the arbiters of cool in post Celtic Tiger Dublin. Ambition do not usually involve going to UCD for Orts, as that is too mainstream, rather the attraction lies in animation, media and other limp wristed quiche eating courses.

What is to be done about this? When the zombie wars erupt we will need to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with real men, those who can lobotomise a living dead with a well timed crack of a hurley,- instead we will have the company of girly men raised on x factor who think the zombies look like Jedward. What will we do? Their delicate nature will sell us all to ghoulish oblivion!

One of the best posts I've ever read on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Up where I live, in oh-so-fashionable-but-tragically-pretentious South Dublin (or SoCoDu according to some) i have of late noticed a certain trend towards douchebaggery in the young that i had not previously spotted. Before, when I was young - being from Dublin 16 meant aspiring to go to DIT and do engineering with "the lads" - now it seems to be a prerequisite to being a bumboy. Weak, weedy young men with no ability to fix a puncture or crap in the woods, too used to "delicate" hobbies such as French horn and soft touch schooling which resulted in too few beatings during the formative junior cert years.

Everywhere is infested with scensters, and poseurs, emos and metros. With Skinny jeans hanging around their arses, A pair of converse high tops, hair screwed on to their heads and a pair of black rimmed glasses, they are the arbiters of cool in post Celtic Tiger Dublin. Ambition do not usually involve going to UCD for Orts, as that is too mainstream, rather the attraction lies in animation, media and other limp wristed quiche eating courses.

What is to be done about this? When the zombie wars erupt we will need to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with real men, those who can lobotomise a living dead with a well timed crack of a hurley,- instead we will have the company of girly men raised on x factor who think the zombies look like Jedward. What will we do? Their delicate nature will sell us all to ghoulish oblivion!

You seem motivated, will you take the imperative like a young
    Chernyshevsky did in 19th century Russia & act on those social
    maladies he perceived when asking the same question!
    Will you act on your convictions seeing as they are as
    noble as those who ask similar questions, I mean when we view
    life through the spectacles you've adorned we should first apply
    them to ourselves & see how we compare to humanity seeing as
    we are judging others for how they compare. I think your
    question is noble, perhaps a small genocide emocide is needed?
    Obviously we want more laddish goys being lads ladding about laddishly.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

22 thanks in my opening post! Must have struck a chord with some people. These people are my zombie smashing brethern. WE shall defend the mammies boys of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Uggs-Converse-Doobs
    -It's in the name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Before, when I was young - being from Dublin 16 meant aspiring to go to DIT and do engineering with "the lads" - now it seems to be a prerequisite to being a bumboy.

And when you were young everyone used to talk about real men became farmers/contractors/mechanics - men with callouses on their hands, not these pale "IT/engineering" types who have soft, girly hands and can't lift anything heavier than a laptop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I suspect that anyone who uses the word "douchebag" is a big poof who watches too much american telly.

(No offence :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

stovelid wrote: »
    Move out so.

Or do you live with your old pair?

Jebus chrisp - Its AULD PAIR!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

My generation probably looked at you and thought wtf as well.
    While todays youth learn French Horn you studied the manly art of Trombone:eek::eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056088705

Now we are all safe as Waestrel will get his trusty rusty trombone out,bring on the zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Being a dickhead's coooooooooooolllll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Ambition do not usually involve going to UCD for Orts, as that is too mainstream, rather the attraction lies in animation, media and other limp wristed quiche eating courses.

Ah now you can't really say anything about Ambition. You went to DIT "with the lads" instead of going to UCD, the best uni in Ireland for engineering. Arts degrees are for 2 groups, the ambitionless or those who know exactly what they want to do. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

While the zombies are munching on their large ponsy heads we can be tooling up to take care of business
    There is a certain breed of people who have defended this country, they are not it!
    roysh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

french horn...hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its a shortage of Skinheads....the lack of natural predators means poncey fashions have exploded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The lack of manhood these days has got the country into the mess it is now. "Guys" are too busy shopping and keeping up with the Jonses to see what was going on. Also, alot of "guys" these days read up on gossip columns on papers and things like that.

You then have the macho lager louts who thinks they're a real man if they can out drink other lager louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Cast aside your keyboards and go forth, big manly men. I'm sure there are trees to be chopped down or bears to be wrestled out there, and shame on ye for neglecting them.

I'm sure in the meantime the ladies will be grand; keeping warm in the pub, with the fellas who've read a book and have the odd shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Brendog wrote: »
    One of the best posts I've ever read on this site

I have to say he writes well.
    Refreshing for an AH OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm too manly to know what you mean by converse or high tops.

Also being a manly man automatically means I'm quite good with mathematics and all manner of engineering disciplines. I once used a small fraction of my testosterone to build a time machine just so I could kill the **** out of some dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

is this what the men of 1916 fought for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Fuinseog wrote: »
    is this what the men of 1916 fought for?

Is the gangsta culture in America what the men of the American revolution fought for?

No, it's clearly not. The men of 1916 fought for Irish freedom, not to set dress styles and trends among the Irish population.

Welcome to the 21st century by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

RMD wrote: »
    Is the gangsta culture in America what the men of the American revolution fought for?

No, it's clearly not. The men of 1916 fought for Irish freedom, not to set dress styles and trends among the Irish population.

Welcome to the 21st century by the way.

I think its fair to say if the men of 1916 saw the youth of today they'd be horrified.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

profitius wrote: »
    I think its fair to say if the men of 1916 saw the youth of today they'd be horrified.
    In fairness, when I see some of the youth today, I'm horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭paikea

I just want to add that forcing a youngster to serve the army is as clever as forcing him/her to have a lobotomy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I pity the youth of today; paying off the debt of the banks for the rest of the time they stay in Ireland and pay Irish taxes. Forced to live at home well into their twenties as rent is far too high to afford, college fees being brought in overnight so parents have hardly an opportunity to save up for them, employment prospects at low levels. There is no hope for them, unless they emigrate which means leaving friends and family at home in Ireland. So sad

Advertisement