Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hope for Dublin manhood!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

paikea wrote: »
    I just want to add that forcing a youngster to serve the army is as clever as forcing him/her to have a lobotomy.

Teaching them some discipline, team work, responsibility, physical fitness, respect in the army is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Military training by it's nature does exactly the opposite to teaching responsibility, at least not in moral terms, and it positively discourages a number of other potentially useful skills and traits.

Military training by it's nature does exactly the opposite to teaching responsibility, at least not in moral terms, and it positively discourages a number of other potentially useful skills and traits.

Like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

profitius wrote: »
    Like?

The trait of questioning everything, always

The trait of questioning everything, always

Well the army isn't perfect but it would do a lot of todays youth more good than harm. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn;t know much about the army.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Well the army isn't perfect but it would do a lot of todays youth more good than harm. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn;t know much about the army.

It would, I agree. It would do far less harm to the trait of 'questioning everything' then living in the world they live in with mind-numbing television, vested-interests news reporting, cesspool internet, cheap and sh1te fast-food, immoral advertising, corrupt leaders to whom they are supposed to look up to etc. In Israel it is mandatory to do service, should be here too, even if only for three month's training

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

corrupt leaders to whom they are supposed to look up to etc. In Israel it is mandatory to do service, should be here too, even if only for three month's training

How will army training do anything to discourage mindless complicity to your appointed leader? It does precisely the opposite. That's what it's for. You want to train an entire generation to treat rank as sacrosanct.

As for Israel's mandatory service, without opening up a far bigger discussion about Israel itself, it's not without it's problems. Just like any other armed force, many Israeli soldiers have severe problems readjusting to civilian life outside of the highly disciplined and regimented environment of their service.

Life is not naturally highly disciplined or regimented, and although there's nothing wrong with having some people who are really good at that, having an entire society geared in exactly the same way exacerbates the potential social pitfalls that produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭paikea

I grew up in a country where you are forced to "serve the army" as they put it. I was lucky not to have to do it. I have a friend that ended up in a mental hospital because of the time he spent there.

I don't actually think of the army as a completely bad thing. What I do not agree at all is to force someone to be in that situation/environment if he/she does not want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sleeplessoul

Much as I dislike the emo culture/metrosexual culture, I have to agree with it being the 21st century, you can't let it get to you, every future generation is going to be much worse than the last in our eyes.

It's a both scary and exciting time to live in.

but I'm not looking forward to what lies ahead in 20 years time in teenage culture.

Advertisement