Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank / Rodents

Options
  • 27-11-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for a bit of advise. I was out in the garden today and got a wiff of sewage, upon investigation I found what looks like a rat burrow into my septic tank (old tank, seems to be block and cement construction). I hate rats, think most people do. I'm looking into poision at the moment (bit worried about cat and dog eating dead rats).

The question is how do I back fill in the burrow and should I leave it until after I have poision down for a few days, I was thinking of pouring cement into it. Should i mix anything in with the cement (glass/wire) and will it set enough to trap/keep them in their burrow?? Also the fact they seem to be in the septic tank, is their any likely damage done to the tank/sewage pipes I should be worried about.

Also any advise about baiting stations would be much appreciated (how many, where to position, what poision to use, etc). I was looking at the self feeding stations, link below. Are these any good or should I go with the traditional square ones.

http://www.lkpoultry.com/categories/Vermin-and-pest-control/

Cheers, Phil

Ps - mods, hope this is the right forum please move if not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Stupid question, but are you sure its not a drainage trench?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Not sure what a drainage trench is but I'm positive its the septic tank.

p.s. fingers, love the username...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The septic tank needs drainage runs off of it, otherwise it will fill up and overflow. This ensures that it drains off into the land as it fills up.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

The burrow is down the side of the septic tank opening. Pretty sure its not the drainage tranch

Advertisement