Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove heating chimney breast

• 27-11-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I got a solid fuel stove fitted at the end of last winter and have been very happy with it. Tonight, when I was picking up something from the mantle piece I noticed that it was very hot. I ran my hand up the internal chinmey breast and noticed is was very hot too. I don't think (not sure though) that this would have been hot at all with the old, open fire.

I am concerned now that the heat might damage the standard block in the chimney breast. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

id be interested in hearing this too to be honest,ive my eye on a stove like you are describing.serious heat from them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

depends on how you installed the flue in the chimney. I installed one directly into the existing clay chimney from the stove(below) and my chimney heats up like you describe (nice!!)- i would say it's normal from my limited experience:)
    DSC00785-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A couple of thoughts on this.

A stove is far more efficient than an open fire. An open fire will draw in significant volumes of room-temperature air which is lost up the chimney with the heated air. Hence, a chimney with a stove attached will only allow heated air up it at a much slower rate. Therefore, yes the chimney breast will be warmer.

Most stoves use a liner, and by the sounds of it, you don't have one. This may be acceptable (there are already many historic spirited discussions on this matter in this forum...), and that's how my stove is configured too, but this liner would keep the heat of the flue away from the existing walls. You may have chosen not to use a liner for many reasons:- acceptable quality concrete liner already installed; cost etc. It would be important that you be aware of the dangers of not using a liner.
    If the existing liner was to fail, it could allow hot gasses to escape the chimney and burn the brick-work or set fire to surrounding joists/beams or cause the liner to collapse.

Lastly, a warm chimney breast isn't a bad thing. I'm lucky to have a large red-brick breast which retains heat over the course of the following day. It acts as a radiator as it's filled with backfill/vermiculite which will release the heat slowly.

So, if you have concerns please engage a qualified chimney sweep to check over the installation and to give you peace of mind.

Advertisement