Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poision and Pets

Options
  • 27-11-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for a bit of advise. Found a rat burrow in the garden today, was going to set poision in baiting stations. But I have a cat and dog who have full run of the garden (bout 1 acre) and I'm worried they will eat any poisioned rats they may come across. Firstly will they eat the rat? If they do will the poision harm the dog/cat. Assuming it will, are there any poisions that will kill the rats but won't harm the pets??

Also any advise about baiting is much appreciated (how many, where to position, how often to bait to keep rats away)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

as the rats that've eaten the poison will come out into the open to seek water before dying it's entirely possible that the cat or dog might snack on them...and yes, secondary poisoning is likely, sorry

Eradibait (available in UK, not 100% sure about Ireland) is one bait that's not passed on - we used it as we had hens free ranging

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

as the rats that've eaten the poison will come out into the open to seek water before dying it's entirely possible that the cat or dog might snack on them...and yes, secondary poisoning is likely, sorry

Eradibait (available in UK, not 100% sure about Ireland) is one bait that's not passed on - we used it as we had hens free ranging

Thanks for the quick reply chicken, just the type of thing I was looking for. just did a quick google search, looks like its not for sale in Ireland. Anyone know of this type of poision for sale in Ireland or online with Irish delivery??

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

We had a problem with rats in our estate last year but the man laying the poison wouldn't put it in our garden because of the our dogs. Apparently once the rats have eaten the poison they slow down so enabling dogs to catch them more easily and become victims of secondary poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

do not put rat poison down if you have pets its a slow painful death if they do eat some not worth the risk buddy get plenty of rat traps or more cats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Had a cat a few years back who caught himself a rat that had been poisoned. My cat shat himself sideways for two days, but pulled through in the end. Lived another 11 years after that. Died aged 21. I miss him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Poison and pets do not mix- period .

Our landlord wanted to put poison down in pipes but we said NO.

And of course other wild life will suffer; birds etc. Poison is undiscriminating.

Set traps? They work fine. There was a thread on the accommodation board on this; rats will also crawl away to die and stink a house out. Traps work fine.

Our wee dog is a keen ratter as are our cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

One of the worst cases I saw when I worked in a vets was one of suspected secondary rat poisoning. Dog died despite Vit K drip trying to clot their blood,which was leaking from eyes, mouth ears etc. Not a nice death.
    Last winter I had a rat living in my composter. We named him Ron and he stayed there until mid-feb, when he moved on. We only ever saw his tunnel and foot prints in the snow. No bother, just washed hands after using the composter and tapped on the top before opening it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ABEasy wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply chicken, just the type of thing I was looking for. just did a quick google search, looks like its not for sale in Ireland. Anyone know of this type of poision for sale in Ireland or online with Irish delivery??

Cheers

As it isn't a poision and doesn't contain any chemicals there are no restrictions on shipping or handling so you can buy it on-line from a UK source. I see it listed on Amazon uk.

As it isn't a poision and doesn't contain any chemicals there are no restrictions on shipping or handling so you can buy it on-line from a UK source. I see it listed on Amazon uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ERADIBAIT-POISON-CHILDREN-LIVESTOCK-ANIMALS/dp/B003DJ3HBO

That is quite disgusting and as other internal methods, inhumane, causing great suffering.

See this thread.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/weeds-pests-diseases/anyone-tried-eradibait-getting-rid-rats-mice_13632.html

Traps are fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    EradiBait is consumed as a food source as part of a rodent's natural eating habit. After ingestion EradiBait coats the lining of a part of the rodent's lower gut. This coating of the fine hairs called villi disrupts the message system to the brain, causing it to stop drinking. Dehydration commences causing kidney dysfunction, coma and eventually death.

Good god thats horrendous. As much as rats are vermin, at least give it a somewhat painless death using some kind of quick trap. That stuff sounds like itll give the animal and unbelievably torturous ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

anniehoo wrote: »
    Good god thats horrendous. As much as rats are vermin, at least give it a somewhat painless death using some kind of quick trap. That stuff sounds like itll give the animal and unbelievably torturous ending.

Didn't go reading to the extent of how it works earlier so thanks for posting this, had planned to do it later as I did wonder how a cereal based substance would work. I suppose the other pet safe option is human traps but that still leaves the OP with the problem of what to do with them then. I know you wouldn't catch me in a mile of a live wild rat!

I know a humane trap and release is a bit pointless for rats as if theres one theres probably loads. I dont know, i just think an instant death is better,if such a trap exists. Poison is such an awful way to go i think even if its vermin. Catching them in a box and carbon monoxide gassing is painless and quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Seriously, just be glsd you know where the rat is. There are probably loads out there that you dont.
    I honestly think that unless it is in the house then don't bother.
    Most humane kill are cats or traps
    Another way is to get or borrow a hamster, or just its droppings. Apparently, hamsters have a much stronger bite and low tolerence of other rodents and their smell scares other rodents off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I know a humane trap and release is a bit pointless for rats as if theres one theres probably loads. I dont know, i just think an instant death is better,if such a trap exists. Poison is such an awful way to go i think even if its vermin. Catching them in a box and carbon monoxide gassing is painless and quick.
    How would you administer the carbon monoxide?
    Catch them in a humane trap, then get a good terrier to dispatch them instantaneously. Lethal rat traps often can catch the rat by the leg and result in a slow painfull death. Poison is the most cruel way to kill rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Jinxi wrote: »
    One of the worst cases I saw when I worked in a vets was one of suspected secondary rat poisoning. Dog died despite Vit K drip trying to clot their blood,which was leaking from eyes, mouth ears etc. Not a nice death.
    Last winter I had a rat living in my composter. We named him Ron and he stayed there until mid-feb, when he moved on. We only ever saw his tunnel and foot prints in the snow. No bother, just washed hands after using the composter and tapped on the top before opening it

Jesus, thats horrendus. Looks like i'll be going the trap route. Anybody know what type trap works best and what is the best way to bait it (and how to keep the dog away from it) ?? And with live catch traps whats the best way to kill the rats caught??

Have found 3 types, on the links below 2 live catch, 1 instant kill type.

http://www.lkpoultry.com/categories/Vermin-and-pest-control/

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Big-Snap-E-Rat-Size-Trap-Reusable-Use-years-/200457950082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eac399382

How would you administer the carbon monoxide.
    If you google "carbon monoxide or dioxide mouse chambers" you'll find it. It is the most prefered method for large scale rodent providers i.e feed for snakes etc. Also on Ear to the Ground the other week, the main mink farm in Donegal uses gassing as their method of euthanising. It is painless as the animal basically just falls asleep and then dies.

If you google "carbon monoxide or dioxide mouse chambers" you'll find it. It is the most prefered method for large scale rodent providers i.e feed for snakes etc. Also on Ear to the Ground the other week, the main mink farm in Donegal uses gassing as their method of euthanising. It is painless as the animal basically just falls asleep and then dies.

That is their publicity stunt talk... It is in fact slow suffocation.

it is only if the person or animal is already asleep that it dies painlessly and the stress of caging the mink to gas them is ignored of course.. the cruelty in that is appalling; please google fur farms donegal and watch the videos?

Utterly cruel and inhumane.

Thankfully fur farming is on its way out by law.

Those appalling mink farms do that to avoid marking the fur. They also use electrocution ' mouth and anus, for the same reason

ABEasy wrote: »
    Jesus, thats horrendus. Looks like i'll be going the trap route. Anybody know what type trap works best and what is the best way to bait it (and how to keep the dog away from it) ?? And with live catch traps whats the best way to kill the rats caught??

Have found 3 types, on the links below 2 live catch, 1 instant kill type.

http://www.lkpoultry.com/categories/Vermin-and-pest-control/

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Big-Snap-E-Rat-Size-Trap-Reusable-Use-years-/200457950082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eac399382

Ironically we now have a wee new hole in the wall here! Wee dog has been patrolling all night, bless her.. we have mouse traps but when the snow eases will get a couple of simple rat traps from the creamery. No ned to research.... You make it all too complicated. Been here done this many times...

Advertisement