Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new rig remington sps varmint 308 win

Options
  • 27-11-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Was finally able to get me out to the range today,allthough a rather cold day ,to test my new remington sps varmint in a choate ultimate sniper stock,with a zeiss conquest 6,5-20x50 scope.:D
    Sighting in the scope and testing some ammo at the 100 yard range.
    Testing 3 different rounds of ammo,lapua scenars 167gr,remington premier match 168gr and hornady match 168gr.
    All shot with bipod and rear rest.
    Out of the three,the scenars seems to be givin the best groups,but not not bad the two others either,the only thing wrong here is the Prize of them.!!!!43 euro for the scenars 20 rounds!!!!!:mad:
    Think its time to try hps ammo from griffin:)
    Have some pictures attached.Sorry about the quality,takin in a hurry:)

Remington 700 sps varmint.JPG

Lapua scenar 167gr.JPG

lapua scenar 167gr 2.JPG

Hornady match 168gr.JPG

remington premier match 168gr.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi lads

Was finally able to get me out to the range today,allthough a rather cold day ,to test my new remington sps varmint in a choate ultimate sniper stock,with a zeiss conquest 6,5-20x50 scope.:D
    Sighting in the scope and testing some ammo at the 100 yard range.
    Testing 3 different rounds of ammo,lapua scenars 167gr,remington premier match 168gr and hornady match 168gr.
    All shot with bipod and rear rest.
    Out of the three,the scenars seems to be givin the best groups,but not not bad the two others either,the only thing wrong here is the Prize of them.!!!!43 euro for the scenars 20 rounds!!!!!:mad:
    Think its time to try hps ammo from griffin:)
    Have some pictures attached.Sorry about the quality,takin in a hurry:)

Remington 700 sps varmint.JPG

Lapua scenar 167gr.JPG

lapua scenar 167gr 2.JPG

Hornady match 168gr.JPG

remington premier match 168gr.JPG

Nice set up, nice grouping, best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Nice bit of kit, well wear..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Very nice rig Norwayviking.

The Lapua scenar are a dedicated target round so no surprises they performed the best. I would caution you against using them as hunting rounds. A little to fast/powerful and have a tendancy to go through the animal. i used them when i had my Sako and she loved them. Well able to hit 600yds with a high degree od accuracy. Then i swithed to HPS foe that extra bit the Lapua lacked.

From a hunting point of view i would stick with the Hornady.

Out of curiosity what was the amount of clicks/moa of difference between your Lapua 100yd zero and your Hornady 100yd zero (if that makes sense).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

ezridax wrote: »
    Very nice rig Norwayviking.

The Lapua scenar are a dedicated target round so no surprises they performed the best. I would caution you against using them as hunting rounds. A little to fast/powerful and have a tendancy to go through the animal. i used them when i had my Sako and she loved them. Well able to hit 600yds with a high degree od accuracy. Then i swithed to HPS foe that extra bit the Lapua lacked.

From a hunting point of view i would stick with the Hornady.

Out of curiosity what was the amount of clicks/moa of difference between your Lapua 100yd zero and your Hornady 100yd zero (if that makes sense).

Hi Ezridax

The rig is for target only,so its only going to be shooting match ammo,the stock is to heavy to carry in the field:)
    And the difference in zero was little or none i would say:D,the only one you could really see the difference on is the remington premier match,which had a tendendy to go a bit high with the "scenar" zero.:)
    And a chronograph would probably have helped a bit too,espesially when going on longer ranges.
    Do you know what velocities you get out of a 26" barrel,with Hps and scenars?

With HPS you are looking at around the 2750fps with 155 gr.

With Lapua you are looking at 2550fps (or so).

The difference is the HPS are faster (obviously), but at the longer distances such as 500+ yds the Lapua have not got the speed retention of the HPS. The BC of the Lapa is almost identical to the HPS with Lapua having 0.470, and HPS 0.445. So you would be using more MOA/Clicks to achieve target strikes at the same distances.

Its down to HPS make up. They use a better primer, powder and Sierra match king bullets instead of Lapua's own Scenar/Scenar silver jacket bullets.

Not to mention the fact that the HPS cost €52 per box of 50. Compare that to Lapua and for 50 Lapua 167gr you would pay around €105 (dealer dependant).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

With HPS you are looking at around the 2750fps with 155 gr.

With Lapua you are looking at 2550fps (or so).

The difference is the HPS are faster (obviously), but at the longer distances such as 500+ yds the Lapua have not got the speed retention of the HPS. The BC of the Lapa is almost identical to the HPS with Lapua having 0.470, and HPS 0.445. So you would be using more MOA/Clicks to achieve target strikes at the same distances.

Its down to HPS make up. They use a better primer, powder and Sierra match king bullets instead of Lapua's own Scenar/Scenar silver jacket bullets.

Not to mention the fact that the HPS cost €52 per box of 50. Compare that to Lapua and for 50 Lapua 167gr you would pay around €105 (dealer dependant).

Thanks Ezri much appreciated.:D
    Have to look in to hps and see what they can provide of ammo,or else ill be bankrupt by next christmas,with the prices for the scenars anyway!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Enjoy the new Rig!

Have a read of this. Will cover most questions and probably create a few. :D

Have a read of this. Will cover most questions and probably create a few. :D

Thanks ezri
    Just out of curiosity.
    I have a 26" barrel and a 1:12 twist,and i think i read somewhere that the loss per inch is around 20-25 fps,so if i am going to shoot 600+ yards the 155 gr hps would be suitable for that i belive,cause i seen you thread and your 30" barrel got you 2950fps, so i would probably be in the region of 2800-2850 from my barrel then i believe.
    What are your thought on that Ezri?

A chap i shoot with recently shot the 155 HPS through his 26", 1:12 rifle and if memory serves he chrono'd them at 2780 (average). Thats represents a drop of 42fps/per inch loss from 30" barrel.

I'm basing number on similar trends. So for want of a more measured set of numbers i would take an average fps value for the sum of my values and yours. That is unfortunatley the best i can offer until an actual chrono test is done.

I will say this though. Having shot beside lads with 1:12, 26" barrels i can tell you they are well capable of reaching the 1,000 yd mark.

• Advertisement

A chap i shoot with recently shot the 155 HPS through his 26", 1:12 rifle and if memory serves he chrono'd them at 2780 (average). Thats represents a drop of 42fps/per inch loss from 30" barrel.

I'm basing number on similar trends. So for want of a more measured set of numbers i would take an average fps value for the sum of my values and yours. That is unfortunatley the best i can offer until an actual chrono test is done.

I will say this though. Having shot beside lads with 1:12, 26" barrels i can tell you they are well capable of reaching the 1,000 yd mark.

Thanks Ezri
    Yeah i guess your right,probably best to chrono my own rounds and take it from there.:D
    I am quite new to the long range shooting,so here to learn:)
    Only been shooting 308(7,62x51)(army and hunting) and 6,5x55 competion to 300 meters before.
    Thanks for the advice Ezri.
    You will probaly hear from me again:D

No problem.

If you need me my address is;

ezridax,
    sitting at home,
    on the laptop,
    reading boards.ie.

:D:D

No problem.

If you need me my address is;

ezridax,
    sitting at home,
    on the laptop,
    reading boards.ie.

:D:D

Ha ha ha good one ill remember that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

well wear its a smashing rig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Well wear hope it stays shooting well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

congrats nice set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Nice Rifle
    Nice Stock
    Great Grouping

:cool:

Enjoy and may you have years of enjoyment from your new boomstick!:)

Advertisement