Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidls selling reindeer meat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Emmmm - ok. Try explaining the concept of reindeer meat to children, there would be tears. Probably not the most PC of dishes at Christmas!

But I would try it myself to be honest - I like most meat anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Really? A species that is under no threat of extinction or destruction of habitat, and has been of systemic importance to Arctic cultures for countless millennia is somehow wrong because of what, marketing memes to sell toys to children. Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

This might upset some people - but thanks for the heads up, having lived in Sweden for a while this is what I have missed the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Excellent news. I've not had it in a while. Thanks for the heads up OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

awesom_o wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1116/reindeer.html

This is so wrong. On so many levels.

Just.. ugh.

:eek:

ridiculous thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Whats wrong with reindeer meet?
    In Scandinavian countries they sell canned reindeer meatballs and reindeer sausage. If you are vegan or vegetarian you will have a problem with all meat that is sold for food but to say Lidl is wrong for selling it is crazy. To me it sound very tasty and i might actually try some during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

great news...

thanks OP;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Thanks for the heads up OP, will call in tomorrow.
    Must see if I can get some lingonberries, or lingonberry jam. OP do you know if they have any in Lidl to go with the Reindeer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Ive never tried reindeer meat before, might pick some up tommorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Sure wouldnt it taste alot like regular deer....venison or whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Thanks to the OP countless reindeer shall be gracing the tables of Ireland! :D
    Talk about a fail....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 HarryDog

awesom_o wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1116/reindeer.html

This is so wrong. On so many levels.

Just.. ugh.

:eek:

How much is it. I fancy that. What goes with it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Is it dear?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I think this this had best be moved to a more appropriate forum...

To Food and Drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Reindeer meat's really good, i made reindeer fajitas once, excellent. The tongue is a bit pungent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Clearly it is ok to kill cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, and a select few species of fish but it is not only morally wrong but downright barbaric to kill any other animal to eat. Some of them are so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Since ive tried kangaroo and springbok at the german xmas market in galway, might as well stay in the crazy meat eating mood and try some out!! thanks for that op!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

They're also selling Pheasant, Quail, Goose and Duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

That link said only British stores were selling it, does anyone know if Irish Lidls stock it?

Oh and thanks op. You should be applauded, using your free time to come on here and promote reindeer meat. I'm sure many new households will be enjoying reindeer this christmas because of you. You've probably increased demand, which means more reindeer will be killed for next christmas, and we'll get more competive prices. So thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I hope they do.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Andrew42

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Must see if I can get some lingonberries, or lingonberry jam. OP do you know if they have any in Lidl to go with the Reindeer

All depends on where you live of course but I'm nearly sure the food shop in IKEA sells lingonberry jam, come to think of it, they may even sell reindeer products.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why didn't they just label is venison? Or even caribou

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think ye're missing the OP's point folks, which is that it's a little bit weird to cash in on Christmas by selling bits of Rudolph.

Not necessarily that it's wrong to eat Reindeer or anything, simply that it's an amusingly deranged bit of marketing. It would be like doing Bambi brand venison or Shaun the Sheep chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think we can all agree that Lidl/Aldi are very european or international in the food they stock, reindeer meet is very common in some parts of the world. They are jsut offering these lines in the UK and (maybe) Ireland. The fact that they are also selling pheasant, venison and springbok in the same promotion is pretty much proof that it isn't an attempt to cash in on xmas (how are any of the other linked to xmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They don't sell reindeer meat at any other time of the year, though.

It's an interesting "Hey kids! If you love Santa's reindeer, you'll love... eating Santa's reindeer!" sort of thought process they seem to have going.

Didn't know they do pheasant though, I might have a look for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Ikea sells reindeer meat in its foodhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    Why didn't they just label is venison? Or even caribou
    Because then they would miss out on all the free advertising they are enjoying from the likes of RTE! and word of mouth marketing like this thread.
    They don't sell reindeer meat at any other time of the year, though.
    If it was more popular they would, many people suffer/buy foods they would not ordinarily eat at christmas, I expect very few people would cook a turkey during the year, hams would not be as popular either. Sprouts, marzipan, goose & goose fat, mince pies-there are many foods which the cynic in me thinks are being pawned off on us at this time. If it really is so good then there will be a demand and people might buy it during the year, like I see hot cross buns available at other times other than easter.

Speaking of easter lidl should get in rabbits around that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dacelonid wrote: »

I believe they sell some in Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They do indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Come to think of it, all the major supermarkets are both blasphemous and distasteful to sell lamb at Easter - the celebration of the Lamb of God!

Advertisement