Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidls selling reindeer meat

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Lidl now selling springbok steaks:eek:, Lidl i love you.
    Now lets get some Elk and caribiou or muskox and we will have a feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Really?! In all stores? They still selling reindeer meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

I got some Venison steaks(New Zealand) the other day, that isn't Reindeer is it? I couldn't spot any Reindeer meat, only Quail from France,Pheasant from Scotland!

I had irish Venison before from a Farm up North, was proper gamey tasting unlike Lidls.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Em, Caribou is Reindeer, so they have that one covered
    baldbear wrote: »
    I got some Venison steaks(New Zealand) the other day, that isn't Reindeer is it?

Venison is any deer meat really. It will vary a lot depending on the breed of deer, the age as well as the time of the year (rutting season etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

awesom_o wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1116/reindeer.html

This is so wrong. On so many levels.

Just.. ugh.

:eek:

I'm a vegetarian so obviously the killing of any animals for meat doesn't appeal. So I'd love if you could explain to me why Reindeers are special and exempt among the many species of animals that are eaten around the world. Is it too cute? Has it been anthropomorphised too much with Rudolph etc? Let's get to the core of your difficulty with reindeer as meat. What are these many levels you allude to but haven't expanded on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Can someone please confirm what exotic meats Lidl are selling and in which stores? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PIMPHO wrote: »
    Can someone please confirm what exotic meats Lidl are selling and in which stores? Cheers
    In the Greystones branch the other day they had ostrich and springbok, and also had venison (from New Zealand), quails and pheasant (not particularly exotic.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Alun wrote: »
    In the Greystones branch the other day they had ostrich and springbok, and also had venison (from New Zealand), quails and pheasant (not particularly exotic.)

Same in Balbriggan, I didn't see reindeer, I will have to venture to IKea for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

spoonface wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian so obviously the killing of any animals for meat doesn't appeal. So I'd love if you could explain to me why Reindeers are special and exempt among the many species of animals that are eaten around the world. Is it too cute? Has it been anthropomorphised too much with Rudolph etc? Let's get to the core of your difficulty with reindeer as meat. What are these many levels you allude to but haven't expanded on?
    Obviously I don't agree with you dietary choices, but this is an excellant post. Eating this meat is no better or worse than any other meat from a similar source (wild, farmed etc).

Alun wrote: »

Quails are very rare these days, pheasants increasingly so in some places

I had the springbok steaks today, lovely, slight liver like flavour at first then meaty after taste. I will have to try the ostrich meat next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I noticed Quails there the other day, a pack of 2 for a tenner. Should've picked them up, they are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I bought eight Venison legs in Lidl yesterday for €50. Is that too dear?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LOL :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I bought eight Venison legs in Lidl yesterday for €50. Is that too dear?
    1. Dasher
    2. Dancer
    3. Prancer
    4. Vixen
    5. Comet
    6. Cupid
    7. Donner
    8. Blitzen

Looks like a good deal for a leg off each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jaysus, they're going to be slow on the delivering this year so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

So are LIDL selling reindeer meat or not? No sign on their website.

CiaranC wrote: »
    So are LIDL selling reindeer meat or not? No sign on their website.

No

Irish Times Nov 16th 2010
    Rudolph and the rest of the reindeers will need to be extra careful this Christmas: Lidl plans to stock reindeer meat in more than 500 of its UK stores. The meat is part of its Deluxe range, aimed, ironically, at the Christmas market. Animal-rights activists point to objectionable farming techniques for reindeer and claim the move is against the spirit of Christmas.

Traditionally eaten in Scandinavian countries, reindeer meat is served on its own or in a stew. Lidl says it has no plans to introduce the range in its stores in the Republic or Northern Ireland, which operate independently of Lidl UK. But one place where it is available in Ireland is Ikea, where it has been available since the Dublin store opened, last year. Selling for €2.90 per 100g portion, it comes from herds in Sweden. So far the company says it has had no complaints from Irish customers.

Derry Clarke, chef-patron of L’Ecrivain, in Dublin, says that in his experience there is little demand for the meat here, particularly given the time of year. “We don’t really have reindeer in Ireland; we have venison,” he says, “I have cooked it before, and it’s a bit more gamy than venison. I wouldn’t have it on the menu here, though.”

Pádraic Fogarty of the Irish Wildlife Trust says the meat tastes quite good. “My wife is Norwegian, and I have eaten it many times,” he says. “You can eat it like a steak or cooked in a stew with juniper berries and mushrooms. Reindeer are not rare or endangered, and I have never heard of any conservation issues.”

Fogarty says reindeer are safe on Irish soil for now. “I don’t know if the land here would suit them. They are used to a much colder climate. In Scandinavia it is eaten midweek. It’s a Monday dinner, not a special-occasion dish. Reindeer went extinct from Ireland 20,000 years ago, and in my opinion they are not likely to return any time soon.”

Advertisement