Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny City on Wikitravel

Options
  • 27-11-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I appreciate this thread may seem trite in the light of the hardship people are under. However Kilkenny City has a fine entry in Wikitravel.org. It currently has a rating of guide which is one level below the top grade of star. I'm not sure how to add a map and more pictures to the page. I have written a walking tour route and other bits earlier in the article. I would love for Kilkenny City to be the first article in Ireland to reach Star grade. I think Dublin and Sligo are the only other guide level articles on Wikitravel. If you can help it would be gratefully appreciated. I love KK and want it to be the best. Ideally I would love a proper tourist website to be set up. What we have at present is bland and uninspiring. If you have any thoughts on this or other tourist related matters please post. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I agree wholeheartedly, we need a website that properly represents Kilkenny. There's very little there at the moment and certainly not a whole lot in terms of events, restaurants, night life and other places of interest. It would do a fine job in selling the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

We could also log on and slate Dublin so that it can't take the top spot.

I have been in quite a few world cities and I have never EVER seen the concentration of junkies that I have in Dublin city centre. Not even close. Not even in New York where there's meth and stuff like that.

Being on those streets off O'Connell street is like those scenes in zombie movies where someone's walking along and out of the corner of their eye in the alleys they can see shadows moving around and lurking, waiting to pounce.

Then you can't even buy a ticket for the Luas without some gear bag coming over to 'help' you.

The streets are filthy, the buildings are minging, the people are predominately A-Holes. God, I hate the place so much. When i am standing on the street there, I just wish I was somewhere else, I just want to leave. No other city has this effect on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I take it you don't like Dublin much then...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I agree with everything fabbydabby says about Dublin.

In my experience and also from picking the brains of others, I haven't seen a capital city that has the infestation of junkies that Dublin has. It's unreal.

Unfortunately, if you're to use that as a stick to beat Dublin with, the sad truth is that Kilkenny has just the same problem. Granted, nowhere near on the scale of Dublin but in a scenic, leisurely city with a population of around 30,000 you'd notice the filthy dirty inhumane rancid zombie scobes all the more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

fabbydabby, that's a fairly ill considered rant tbh.

I get through eastern/midwestern U.S. cities on a regular basis and there are levels of urban decay, societal breakdown, drug crime and street level menace the likes of which this country (Dublin included) has thankfully never experienced.

I imagine your NYC comparison pertains to Manhattan and not some neighbourhoods in Queens or The Bronx.

It's true NORTH OF THE LIFFEY and up around Christchurch and Thomas street junkie seem to own the streets.

The streets are dirty you're correct.

Should you wish to look up when on O'Connell, Marlbourough, Henry, Mary, Capel Streets you may reappraise the architectural merit of buildings you have labelled, eh 'minging'.

As for everyone being an 'A-Hole' that's perhaps indicative of a 'rus in urbe' chip on the shoulder?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

fabbydaddy, that's a fairly ill considered rant tbh..

Dublin is great from College green up to Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Streets between Georges Street and Kildare street.

I would say to fabbydaddy that I have been through cities in the U.S. where the urban decay, drug apocalypse and criminal menace make Dublin look like Mary Poppins back garden so eh, all things in perspective.

Sorry but Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Streets between Georges Street and Kildare street are just as lethal. They are on you like a dose of salts. Just stand at any bus stop and wait.... To paraphrase "if you stand there- they will come" particularly scary if you have children in tow.
    You are being unduly harsh on fabbydaddy. As you say all things "in perspective" but its time to fix the lens were looking thru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

t63m wrote: »
    Sorry but Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Streets between Georges Street and Kildare street are just as lethal. They are on you like a dose of salts. Just stand at any bus stop and wait.... To paraphrase "if you stand there- they will come" particularly scary if you have children in tow.
    You are being unduly harsh on fabbydaddy. As you say all things "in perspective" but its time to fix the lens were looking thru.

Based on my own experience I have never encountered problems in the Grafton/Dawson/Kildare St area.

You may have and I wouldn't discount that.

As heroin use is a given and is here to stay, surely the issue should focus on policing the city? Why a combination of begging and low level junkie menace is ignored to a large degree by the authorities is baffling.

Effectively labelling the city as a cesspit and its inhabitants as A-Holes is a generalisation which the poster is entitled to, but if you're talking of being 'unduly harsh' then perhaps those are statements with which you should also take issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Based on my own experience I have never encountered problems in the Grafton/Dawson/Kildare St area.

You may have and I wouldn't discount that.

As heroin use is a given and is here to stay, surely the issue should focus on policing the city? Why a combination of begging and low level junkie menace is ignored to a large degree by the authorities is baffling.

Effectively labelling the city as a cesspit and its inhabitants as A-Holes is a generalisation which the poster is entitled to, but if you're talking of being 'unduly harsh' then perhaps those are statements with which you should also take issue.
    Should have qualified my last post -I of course agree with you about fabbydaddys generalisation and in no way endorse those comments!
    Yes policing is the issue here and there is a very big elephant in the room. An ineffiicent legal system both criminal and civil that is loaded against victims. Let me give an example- if say 10 junkies aged 17yrs 11 months and 30 days break into your house today burn it down to the ground destroy your livlehood etc., and even say these same thugs were your neighbours -did you know that more than likely they'll be dealt with under the Juvenile Liasion system with a wrap on the knuckles especially if its a first offence.
    You are not entitled in Irish law to know their names or anything about them !
    Why because they are under 18 and therefore classed as children! despite the fact that they are all well known to the local community as gurriers with a string of anti social offences.
    BTW I would not classify junkie menace as "low level" Its begging/threatening with menaces

Advertisement