Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever tried collagen products?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all, especially ladies!
    I hope I won't look ridiculous by posting here, since I'm a man, but I have a question: have you ever tried collagen products? A friend of mine told me they work wonders on the skin (wrinkles, scars, loss of elasticity and stuff).

In my case,I have a scar I'd like to get rid of (or better, make less visible, I know I can't completely eliminate it), and I've been told these collagen products are excellent. However, since my knowledge of such stuff is zero or less, I thought of asking the ladies on the forum before making any "investment". :)

Many thanks in advance for all the answers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

tLL -> F&A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I read an article which described collagen creams as throwing bricks at a house in the hope it makes the walls stronger...by all account collagen molecules are too big to be absorbed by the skin and even the more recent hydrolysed collagen won't be integrated into the skins collagen framework. I'm no dermatologist but it put me off forking out for them. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Thanks Xiney, I was not sure where I should have posted it myself. :)

Thanks for the opinions. :)
    Update for whoever is interested: I'll be giving the product a try to see if it works. The cost is not excessive (infinitely lower than cosmetic surgeries and close to "covering" cosmetics), so I can afford a bit of a gamble. If anybody is interested I can post the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

What the previous poster said is true, collagen molecules too large to be absorbed. Also, your skin will stop producing its own collagen as it gets reliant on topical applications. You need to try retinol if you really want results. Just don't forget the sunscreen!

• Advertisement

Thanks lubie76. I'll have to check what retinol is then; I'm not an expert, all the information is more than welcome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dolblathanna

This is true that collagen is to big to go deep into skin. But it is not the collagen that gets in but the peptides and proteins that the collagen is made of. They are small enough to go deep into your skin and activate your own collagen producing cells.
    The thing is that most of the products do not have natural collagen in active form like that. Most of them are just bovine based which makes it even more non-actractive. Also make sure that the gel is locked in the bottle so you do not put your fingers into it and along with that all the bacteria that will destroy collagen.
    Hope that helped.

@dolblathanna: Thanks for your contribution. The product I used was based on fish, not on bovine sources; they told me it works much better, but, honestly, I don't have such a huge experience. The best part is that my scar looks better, which is what I needed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Not sure about collagen but I know that BioOil is fantastic at fading scars. It's not that expensive either :D I used it for a small scar on my face and within 2 months the mark was much less visible.

Advertisement