Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom bb

• 27-11-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

ive been having problems with my eircom bbb for about week now , firstly it a problem with "unidentified network" and it wouldnt connect me to the net or even detect my modem, and i rang them up and they couldnt figure it out and said id need an engineer to be sent out for just 150.... anywaysi declined that and about 20 mins later that problem somehow sorted itself out,
    but now its barely ever connecting me to the nhet, and when it does it for no more than an hour it just says "access: local" any ideas on how to fix this i cant be arsed dealing with them over the phone anymore, so has anyone had similar problem before and they sorted it ?? im in d15 thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It would help if you could tell us in a clear way what exactly is your problem?

Are you using the wireless network or connecting by cable?

Have you checked your line stats?

What speed are you syncing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

im connecting with an ethernet cable.
    Speed
    8128/512 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    27/14 dB
    is my sync speed im guessin ??
    my problem is highly unreliable internet over the last 4 or so days
    and how does one check line stats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Adzer81

Sounds like the problem we had a few weeks ago

how old is the modem?

we rang customer care & they sent somebody out to check the modem

if its determined the problem is the modem they offer you three choices:

buy your own new modem

buy one off them for €50

or they will replace it free of charge if you comit to staying with them for at least 12 months

also there was no cost involved to send out the engineer

hope this helps :D

i dono how old exactly it is but its a netopia 3347nwg
    how much do modems cost ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Is your connection dropping regularly?
    Have they recently upgraded you from 7 to 8 mb?

If yes to both then tell them to drop it back to 7 and it should solve the problem

• Advertisement

yes i drops very regularly at the moment and sometimes doesnt come back for hours,so i dont know if its a modem problem or what, im not sure if my speed has ben increased lately but it does say im c0onnected to 8mb so maybe ill ask them to drop it down thanks,
    would you think moving to wireless might solve this ? im thinking of getting a wireless adapter key thing for my pc

Ring Technical support ask what speed your line is on as mentioned as this could be the problem the speed could be to high for your line

If this doesnt solve the problem explain as you mentioned in the post & they should send somebody out to test the modem for you

well i did ring them in the middle of last week and they did offer to send someone out but for a price of 150euro ??? which i declined

niallith wrote: »
    yes i drops very regularly at the moment and sometimes doesnt come back for hours,so i dont know if its a modem problem or what, im not sure if my speed has ben increased lately but it does say im c0onnected to 8mb so maybe ill ask them to drop it down thanks,
    would you think moving to wireless might solve this ? im thinking of getting a wireless adapter key thing for my pc

Ok, if it drops for hours i'd rule out the increase in speed.
    Go to troubleshoot -> statistics -> dsl next time your having the issue, refresh the screen a few times and let us know roughly what your SN Margin is

ok ill do that, currently stats are
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8128 512
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 11.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.00 14.00
    CRC Errors 3915 0

if that helps at all

• Advertisement

Thats very odd as we didnt have to pay :confused:

maybe if you ring up again when you have a chance hopefully you will get someone else & ask how much it will cost & you will get told free this time

dont see why they would treat their customers differently :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your snr is dire and that is the cause of your problems. Once you snr goes under 10 you are in danger of disconnects.

Judging from your attenuation you are pretty close to the exchange so there must be some problem with your line. This could possibly be internal with your wiring or with your dsl filter.

Every time you increase your speed it puts pressure on the snr so one possible answer is to ask Eircom to decrease your speed and this should stop the interrupts.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

niallith wrote: »
    ok ill do that, currently stats are
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8128 512
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 11.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.00 14.00
    CRC Errors 3915 0

if that helps at all

SNR looks too low, the next time you get disconnected check the SNR and if it's below 6 then ring Eircom and ask them to drop the speed down to 7mb

Edit: Just seen CRC errors, tell them to lower your speed, your line can't handle 8mb

Advertisement