Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Road Conditions...

Options
  • 27-11-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Dunno what it's like elsewhere in the county tonight, but I'm just after driving through Maynooth from the M4. Snow/icey frost covering parts of the right hand lane on the M4, making overtaking quite dangerous.

Main St. is like a sheet of ice, as are most approach roads into the town-do avoid driving tonight if you can, there's been cars sliding and skidding all over the place, regardless of how slow they're going!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

I believe the NRA have taken charge for gritting the roads in place of the Co.Council. To be honest the back roads around Maynooth, which were usually Salted/Gritted by the council are atrocious. So much for their road safety.:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We had a heavy snow shower in Maynooth this evening,be careful as we had quite a thaw earlier in the day so it is a bit slippy.
    I have also heard the off ramp off the m4 is quite slippy.

I have seen the fritter out a few times today on the Straffan road so hopefully it is not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I was on the bus from Dublin at 7pm this evening and the roads in Maynooth were absolutely lethal.

I don't know who is responsible for gritting them, but they weren't gritted that time.

Coming off the M4 opposite Earthridge (I think Maynooth business park/campus is also beside the roundabout there?) the traffic was going 5mph.

After we were stopped for a few minutes (due to traffic not moving) when the car in front of us went to go forward, it slid and when our bus went to go forward (after the car got going) our bus started sliding to the left, luckily the driver managed to get the bus going properly and we got around the roundabout safely. Then when we came into the center of Maynooth and around the Manor Mills shopping center it was treacherous.

It took the bus nearly 35mins to get from Maynooth Rail station to Manor Mills shopping center.

An absolute damn disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

So its the NRA's fault ...shower of clowns !Would be more in their line to get out with a bit of grit than be running stupid offensive ads about male drivers .The cold snap was well forecast .Maynooth is treacherous ....like a skating rink...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ado75

Moan Moan Moan. Typicle whingeing about natural events we can do little about. Even If every road was gritted it would still be dangerous.

BBC traffic reports are telling UK drivers that only 20% of roads in the UK are ever gritted and to stick to major routes and even then they are dangerous.

I've driven 20km to work this morning. Most of the gritted roads were poor at best. Do I blame the NRA or the gritting crews? No. I blame the snow and the fact it's - 7.

Drive slowly and carefully - simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Dublin had it worse last night.

I was working in the O2 till 2am. It took 90mins to get home to Naas.

The city center was nearly impassable in places . It snowed more there .

Around Rathcoole it cleared .

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

shinobi wrote: »
    I believe the NRA have taken charge for gritting the roads in place of the Co.Council. To be honest the back roads around Maynooth, which were usually Salted/Gritted by the council are atrocious. So much for their road safety.:mad:

definately have to agree with this. Didn't know it was the NRA now looking after gritting - such a bunch of jokers.

The council always sorted the roads throughout Maynooth and while it was bad, the roads were usable. But it's an absolute disgrace now. Can't believe how bad Maynooth is to most places I've been in the last few days. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

definately have to agree with this. Didn't know it was the NRA now looking after gritting - such a bunch of jokers.

The council always sorted the roads throughout Maynooth and while it was bad, the roads were usable. But it's an absolute disgrace now. Can't believe how bad Maynooth is to most places I've been in the last few days. :mad:

I think you and others have gotten it somewhat wrong.

as I understand it, the NRA were given the job of centrally buying the salt/grit for the country...they are not in charge of gritters...thats still a local job

I was at a funerla in Dublin today and saw plenty of DCC workers out and about gritting

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think you and others have gotten it somewhat wrong.

as I understand it, the NRA were given the job of centrally buying the salt/grit for the country...they are not in charge of gritters...thats still a local job

I was at a funerla in Dublin today and saw plenty of DCC workers out and about gritting

As mentioned, I said I didn't know it was the NRA in relation to what someone else said. I'm not basing what I said on fact - just word of mouth from what someone else stated!! But the NRA are still a bunch of jokers!! :D

Do you work for the NRA or something!?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

ytareh wrote: »
    So its the NRA's fault ...shower of clowns !Would be more in their line to get out with a bit of grit than be running stupid offensive ads about male drivers .The cold snap was well forecast .Maynooth is treacherous ....like a skating rink...
    I believe you are confusing the NRA and the RSA there....

Maynooth is pretty bad, I was in Blanchardstown earlier, and it seemed clearer, but then where snow was left piled it seemed like there had been less to begin with. Saw a crew shovelling sand from a flatbed onto the road behind them coming from Moyglare around 12pm today when I got back.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Maynooth is pretty bad, I was in Blanchardstown earlier, and it seemed clearer, but then where snow was left piled it seemed like there had been less to begin with. Saw a crew shovelling sand from a flatbed onto the road behind them coming from Moyglare around 12pm today when I got back.

Good stuff. Hopefully they cover the majority of Maynooth and up my way at Straffan Wood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

personaly i blame people buying cheep tires or useing all weather/summer tires for part of the probs with hold ups ect.

iv a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM and Vredestein wintrac xtreme on both cars
    [powerfull RWD soarer and octavia TDI FWD and about the only taxi that worked all the bad weather in jan.well in my base anyway] didant have any probs last year or this.

Irish drivers just cant cope with it [sic]
    iv been all over north kildare and dublin all weekend

Stealthirl wrote: »
    personaly i blame people buying cheep tires or useing all weather/summer tires for part of the probs with hold ups ect.

iv a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM and Vredestein wintrac xtreme on both cars
    [powerfull RWD soarer and octavia TDI FWD and about the only taxi that worked all the bad weather in jan.well in my base anyway] didant have any probs last year or this.

Irish drivers just cant cope with it [sic]
    iv been all over north kildare and dublin all weekend

Just to note, there's a recession on - a lot of people can't afford a packet of crisps let alone a lovely set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM and Vredestein wintrac xtreme tyres for probably a weeks use!! ;) It would be nice though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Just to note, there's a recession on - a lot of people can't afford a packet of crisps let alone a lovely set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM and Vredestein wintrac xtreme tyres for probably a weeks use!! ;) It would be nice though! :)

got mine last year and i put them on when its forcast to be bad ;)
    only €135 for a set of 2
    well worth it as €135 is better then a repare bill for a crshed car :D

3 things i dont cheep out on with a car brakes,tires and serviceing !
    brakes are all that will stop you
    tires are your only contact with the road
    serviceing will keep the car in better condition and prolong its life aswell as prevent costly repare bills

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Do you work for the NRA or something!?! :)

No I don't

apologies for giving you the real story and not some anecdotal stuff I heard in the pub

why exactly are the NRA jokers anyway? driving around Ireland is a lot better in recent years I think

Riskymove wrote: »
    No I don't

apologies for giving you the real story and not some anecdotal stuff I heard in the pub

Lighten up already! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

The road conditions are the worst that I have seen during this cold snap

The M4/N4 has not been treated at all , the traffic nearly stopping already ( 06:40 )

Good luck all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Maynooth was a complete disaster yesterday evening. Down by Straffan Wood was awful, there was a crash on that road.
    All the roads bar the main ones were like glass, very scary driving on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

NRA better prepared me hole. M4 is a disgrace :mad:

andreac wrote: »
    Maynooth was a complete disaster yesterday evening. Down by Straffan Wood was awful, there was a crash on that road.
    All the roads bar the main ones were like glass, very scary driving on them.

Completely agree with this - the roads around Straffan Wood and the estate itself are just lethal.

None of it is helped by the idiots who think they're invincable when they drive in the snow - stupid carry on like driving right up behind you - they really should have some cop on! :mad:

Someone behind me yesterday with those wheel sock things on and they thought they were exempt from driving slowly! Ridiculous carry on!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lors1

just heard evelyn cusack on the news on kfm telling us that this bloody weather is to last till next wednesday, ah come on sick of been housebound now at this stage, kids off school fighting over the telly , to cold for them to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Anyone know what the road between Naas and Sallins is like? Going to have to pick someone up at Sallins station later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Brief report, and my humble opinion.
    Newbridge to Monasterevin took an hour and a half. Newbridge town and locality pretty slippy, very high levels of slush and snow on the roads at 1600.

M7 between there and Monasterevin (I think J12 to J14 off the top of my head) the same, traffic moving between 20mph and 30mph. On-ramp from Ballymany to M7 fairly tough going, quite slippy. At about 1700, off-ramp at Monasterevin passable.

Hope that helps, though it's a little bit old - had to get a cuppa and a shower when I got in!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

It's also worth remembering that councils have let go a lot of staff since 2009, so there may not be as many drivers and workers to cover the same area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

We're supposed to drive out to Donadea from Malahide tomorrow to view a house....are we better off cancelling it? Are the roads really bad out that way? The house is on a back country road too if anyone around Donadea could tell me how it is around there? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Clare Bear wrote: »
    We're supposed to drive out to Donadea from Malahide tomorrow to view a house....are we better off cancelling it? Are the roads really bad out that way? The house is on a back country road too if anyone around Donadea could tell me how it is around there? Thanks.

The roads are pretty much covered in Slush out there,However take your time and you'll get there,Zero traffic just things are moving slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Clane to Kilcock road is relatively good, but the surrounding back roads are pretty bad. It depends how far off the main road your heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Disgruntled Dan

Seems the qualty of the salt is not up to scratch.:eek:
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Quality-of-salt-is-gritty.6646702.jp
    What will they blame next.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

FWIW, it's been snowing heavily in Maynooth since around 7.30pm this evening, and the lesser roads are lethal. A trip out to Donadea from Malahide and back again will take anything up to and beyond 3 hours I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Anyone drive from Celbridge/Maynooth into town today?
    I'm curious to know if the M4/N4 was treated last night. After my trip home yesterday I did not take the risk this morning.
    Seeing an SUV go off the road into the ditch in front of me was enough.

Advertisement