Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Road Conditions...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

hardly any cars on the straffan road.
    Rear wheel drive cars are getting stuck going up the hill and loads of cars stuck in the station.
    Trains were severely delayed this morning and we easily have 5 or 6 inchs of snow on the ground.
    I saw one bus running but was skidding slightly.
    We turned around and came home:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

roads which are salted as per KCC
    http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/AllSaltingRoutes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

Well, at this stage there is absolutely no point salting the roads. First they have to clear the roads of all the snow, if not there will be 15 cm slush on the road instead of snow...and that is just as dangerous

Any snowploughs out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Disgruntled Dan

The army were clearing the paths in Celbridge this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 greengurll

Yeah fair play to them and some of them are so sweet. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

The army were clearing the paths in Celbridge this afternoon.

seen them doing the hill in Leixlip aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭gussieg

anybody know how area around maynooth is now? I'm out past carton and its very snowed up here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

gussieg wrote: »
    anybody know how area around maynooth is now? I'm out past carton and its very snowed up here

+1, id love to know too. I have missed last 2 days of work. I work out at Ladychapel and have to come from Dunshaughlin and im wondering whether i should chance it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Anyone have any idea of the state of the road from Naas to Blessington through Eadestown? I have to go there tomorrow, and am dreading having to drive to the M50 to get from one to the other.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of the state of the road from Naas to Blessington through Eadestown? I have to go there tomorrow, and am dreading having to drive to the M50 to get from one to the other.

Thanks

Both routes are deplorable.

I have a very very very important job up Captains Hill tomorrow. How did the army get on tonight with it? Does it look drivable for the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Couldn't make it to the office in Naas today because my estate in Maynooth was ridiculous with the roads covered in 5-6 inches of snow. Was advised not to try and drive by a few people who had made the attempt.

Anyone know what the back road from straffan to the n7 was like earlier today? I usually take this route to work. It had been pretty bad up to yesterday anyways.... and the n7 was a complete joke. Wondering whether it's worth trying it tomorrow?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Anyone drive from Celbridge/Maynooth into town today?
    I'm curious to know if the M4/N4 was treated last night. After my trip home yesterday I did not take the risk this morning.
    Seeing an SUV go off the road into the ditch in front of me was enough.
    I came onto the N4 at Maynooth and came off at liffey valley northbound on the M50 at 6.30am. lethal this morning so I am staying put tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Myself and the OH drove from Kilcock into Dublin 1 for work. It was slow going & if you know what you're doing it's fine. Don't have 4WD, just use the gears properly. Stopped off in Lucan this evening & then back to Kilcock. -10 on the M4 & black ice so took it seriously handy.

Both work in a small company so have to show up or don't get paid. The good thing about so many people staying home from work is that there was plenty of room on the roads. Also, roads so caked in snow in town, were able to park anywhere as can't see the double yellows (in a safe spot of course & not blocking anyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

If I'm reading this right, my road should have been salted, and I'm here to say not even close! I'm on the old N9, and at this point we need a plough first before any gritting can happen.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Maynooth isn't half as bad as yesterday (straffan Road Area near Straffan Wood) - you can actually grip the road a little bit due to tyre tracks through snow which has worn it down.

From the Barberstown roundabout through Straffan to the n7 is fairly bad - a ton of snow on the road so quite slippy in places. But very few vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

whats around maynooth like now plz? i will be comin from Trim- Summerhill - kilcock- maynooth anyone know what the roads around that way are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Just in from a drive from Kilcullen to home and i have to say the road is lethal on the turn after the Hanged Mans(Rathangan direction),my other half finished early thank God!
    Wouldn't like to be out an longer myself.
    The Curragh road was fine all the way and Donnelly's Hollow.
    Kilcullen itself is pretty bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

anyone got any idea on best route from Newbridge to Celbridge tomorrow? Usually get off roundabout at Kill and go through Straffan but I'd say that Kill-Straffan Road is lethal....should I just go up to Red Cow-M50 then off at Liffey Valley?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

No definitely not!Turn left (slip lane with thin 'bollards'/spikes) before Avoca and go into Newcastle going to the far end of the village (NOT turning right in the centre) and turning right at the burnt down ("Thatch") pub then its straight all the way to Celbridge .Has got to be a good 15 mins quicker and roads were good as yer gonna get this morning and evening.Thats the way I will be going to/from Laois past Newbridge tommorow anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Scruff101 wrote: »
    anyone got any idea on best route from Newbridge to Celbridge tomorrow? Usually get off roundabout at Kill and go through Straffan but I'd say that Kill-Straffan Road is lethal....should I just go up to Red Cow-M50 then off at Liffey Valley?

Thanks!

I would merge off after Browns Barn Citywest road and head towards Fonthill,head all the way down that road pass the Fonthill train station and straight through all the junctions pass The Penny Hill pub continue straight till you come to the dual carriageway flyover take a left to go down on it head up towards the Spa Hotel Lucan merge off after that then take the left to Celbridge,thats what route i would take personally,good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Scruff101 wrote: »

Thanks!

Its probably more roundabout then the other routes mentioned but I can say that (until the current batch of snow anyway) the road from Naas to Clane thru Sallins was absolutely fine and the Maynooth road from Clane looked grand as well. It would be the way Id go if it were me (I dont know the other ways!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Seconds Away

Kildare county council have only enough salt left to last 5 days. If they get a delivery today it will be enough for 2 more days. If the bad weather lasts more than a week it looks like we ain't going nowhere for Xmas.:mad:

They got caught short last year by the weather and not having enough salt. Surely this year they would have organized enough to last from November to April if needs be? I really really dispair of Kildare Co Co sometimes (quite a lot of the time in fact)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MissAlex

Is the NRA not getting the salt for the whole country this time, I thought from the news reports over the last while that they had taken over the salt for all the councils and were handing it out themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Where were Kildare COCO last night the M7 was a total disgrace this morning.

I got on it at Kildare Village heading to Dublin and the road was totally covered in ICE. this was at 6am there was alot of traffic on the road but no one apart from a few lorries used the overtaking lane as it had a few inches of snow on it.

30mph the whole way to Dublin and that was even to much

If the cant keep the motorways clear what chance have any of the lesser roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Seconds Away

eiei0 wrote: »
    Where were Kildare COCO last night the M7 was a total disgrace this morning.

I got on it at Kildare Village heading to Dublin and the road was totally covered in ICE. this was at 6am there was alot of traffic on the road but no one apart from a few lorries used the overtaking lane as it had a few inches of snow on it.

30mph the whole way to Dublin and that was even to much

If the cant keep the motorways clear what chance have any of the lesser roads.

Kildare County Council have only 30 tonnes of salt left. They need on average 200 tonnes of salt, per night, to treat main roads and motorways . They expect 90 tonnes from Carrickfergus salt mine today after that its wait and see and hope the thaw comes soon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Husband slid the car off the road about 4 hours ago going VERY slow on the road to Kilcullen just past the five-road junction at Carnalway. Must've been black ice, so avoid those back roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Kildare County Council have only 30 tonnes of salt left. They need on average 200 tonnes of salt, per night, to treat main roads and motorways . They expect 90 tonnes from Carrickfergus salt mine today after that its wait and see and hope the thaw comes soon ?

90 tonne if far from enough . cant believe this happened a second year in a row

I heard some bloke from the NRA on the radio going on about how they admit that they were caught with their pants down with regards the weather. No mate, last year you were caught with your pants down by the snow. This year its just plain negligent and shockingly incompetant on the part of everyone responsible that there is not enough salt supplies. This weather was not a surprise to anyone; it was predicted weeks ago and there was plenty of time to prepare. Its just plain laziness/stupidity/incompetance that we are left short on supplies to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

The road between Newbridge and Naas was also a disaster this morning....clearly not treated either!

Advertisement