Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this mini-pc worth?

• 27-11-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am about to buy this from eBuyer for playing HD content on my TV.

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop, Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NOOPT, NVIDIA ION, WLAN, Wired Keyb... - Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop, Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NOOPT, NVIDIA ION, WLAN, Wired Keyboard and Mouse, Linux
    £199.97

Is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

silvine wrote: »
    Hi,

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop, Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NOOPT, NVIDIA ION, WLAN, Wired Keyb... - Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop, Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NOOPT, NVIDIA ION, WLAN, Wired Keyboard and Mouse, Linux
    £199.97

Is it worth it?

My son just bought a Compaq with roughly the same spec for €199.99 from Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Hi,

£199.97

Is it worth it?

No just buy a media player. Can get em for under 40. Search amazon and ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CYCLONE-MICRO-USB-UPSCALING-MULTI-MEDIA-HD-HDMI-PLAYER-/180511471620?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item2a07527804

This is what i use with an 8gb usb and fullhd tv
    you'll need a gold hdmi cable though too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I want install Boxee on XBMC on it. Was that Tesco PC big?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Hi,

£199.97

Is it worth it?

Yep, it is worth it. Throw XBMC on it and you have a great HTPC. And it is much more flexible and updateable than a standalone media player.

The most important feature is the Nvidia Ion, it can handle 1080p H264 provided you use the right video player. The Atom on its own definitely wouldn't cut it.

The only thing is that it is now an old model, you might get the newer one for around the same. R3700 I think.

I don't know what Compaq bryaner is talking about, but unless it is capable of 1080p H264 then it is not comparable.

I want install Boxee on XBMC on it. Was that Tesco PC big?

10" netbook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

cullen5998 wrote: »

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CYCLONE-MICRO-USB-UPSCALING-MULTI-MEDIA-HD-HDMI-PLAYER-/180511471620?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item2a07527804

Will that play blurayrip .mkv's, not likely. You need Nvidia Ion or Intel Atom power for that.

@Op, I bought a Boxee box, review here. My first impressions of it were just Ok, but if they revert to something similar to the old user interface I'll be perfectly happy.

cullen5998 wrote: »

Why a gold hdmi cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They work for DSG and have to sell a target figure of them? Its all porkies BTW

I undecided about the Boxee box. I found an Acer which I can buy for EUR250 (the same price as this box). Is there the box that makes it more useful than using a PC?

Also what kind of changes are they making to the UI?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

I bought 3 of these from ebuyer in the UK. I got rid of Linpus, its the worst Linux distro. I put Win7 on 2, and Win XP on 1. Win 7 is supported, XP is not so a bit more hassle to get the drivers. Comes with a lovely little keyboard and mouse, and a mount to hook it on the back of a flat screen TV. Brilliant little PC. Hardest part was registering with Ebuyer as a Rep of Ireland customer.

• Advertisement

Fuzzballs wrote: »
    I bought 3 of these from ebuyer in the UK. I got rid of Linpus, its the worst Linux distro. I put Win7 on 2, and Win XP on 1. Win 7 is supported, XP is not so a bit more hassle to get the drivers. Comes with a lovely little keyboard and mouse, and a mount to hook it on the back of a flat screen TV. Brilliant little PC. Hardest part was registering with Ebuyer as a Rep of Ireland customer.

Why'd you buy three? It's this or a boxee box. I've a copy of win7 at home so might go for this or is ubuntu worth a shot?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

bryaner wrote: »
    Why a gold hdmi cable?

Don't you know your HD telly could blow up if you use an 5 euro HDMI cable from ebay. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

HDMI is a digital connection, it carries just 1's and 0's, therefore it either works or it doesn't, there is no in-between. So a €5 HDMI cable will perform the same as a €150 one as long as it works

marco_polo wrote: »
    Don't you know your HD telly could blow up if you use an 5 euro HDMI cable from ebay. :eek:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11276_7-226-3.html

Yea..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    HDMI is a digital connection, it carries just 1's and 0's, therefore it either works or it doesn't, there is no in-between. So a €5 HDMI cable will perform the same as a €150 one as long as it works
    bryaner wrote: »

Jeez, I'll add a few extra smilies the next time if it helps lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

Bit late replying to this, but i needed 3 for a job i was doing. You can install Win 7 or Win XP via any external USB DVD drive. I have a Buffalo one. But any will do. If you dont have one. You could try and use WINtoFLASh to put either of them onto a USB device and install that way. Some people swear this is better, but ive had nothing but trouble installing Windows this way.

Jeez, I'll add a few extra smilies the next time if it helps lads.

Lol.. :):):):)

Sorry dude my head was slightly clouded from humor because of my weekend bollox acting.. ;)

Advertisement