Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Oranmore

Options
  • 28-11-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

What's everyones views on the new Tesco?? It's a lovely store with PLENTY of staff anyway!! Although i was expecting bigger! I thaught it was ment to be a Tesco Extra? The Tesco in Ballinasloe is bigger than the new oranmore one. The oranmore one will be nice now when it is finished and maybe a couple of more shops will also open up??

I was down in Carraig Lair aswell. That place is a joke. It was like a ghost town. HomeWorld was extremly tidy, no music and I was afraid to talk in there because it was so quiet and akward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Haven't been in Carraig Lair for a few months, but I like it - especially the fact that it's nice and quiet! The homeware store is very well laid-out, and the coffee shop is a relaxing place to hang out... what's not to like?
    Only got in to the Tesco late on Thursday last: very impressive. Of course, you're right - it's not as big as the Ballinasloe store, but B'sloe is on a par with the purpose-built TescoExtra stores we have near where I live in Dublin. The Oran store is, I suppose, aimed at complementing the large supermarkets a few miles down the road in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

Its just i was expecting a large purpose built Tesco extra to compete with the six Dunnes Stores in Galway City. I was expecting people to be comming out from the city to do their shopping in oranmore. But anyway i prefer this store because its not too big, its very close to the town, and theirs potential for more businesses to set up. It will cater well for the people of Oranmore, Kilcolgan, Craughwell and Athenry.

I just think aswell that Carraig Lair should not have been built. Its too far from the town in a big open field. HomeWorld is great, but with no music, there is zero percent atmosphere and makes the experience feel akward and you want to get out of there as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

The new tescos is nice alright though it's seriously odd looking from the outside. You seem to come at it towards the back of the building with the big glass entranceway containing the travelators facing onto what will obviously become the new market square area (if that will ever materialize). I'll hold judgement until the whole development is finished since the plans seem to show new plenty of shops with streets, squares, laneways linking back to the Main Street and a new promenade with buildings that will cover up the pretty ugly view of tescos from the bridge but at the moment it's definitely not pretty (and looks fairly cheaply built too)...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

I've been to the Oranmore Tesco and it is a nice store, although I expected it to be a bit bigger. I also like how they optimised the site with the underground carpark.

But what puzzles me is the location. Maybe this has been discussed already but why is it not located just off the dual carriageway, as opposed to being in the middle of the village and right across from SuperValu. I can remember the road in front of SV being very busy on weekends and deadly around Christmas. I just think this could cause nightmare traffic issues, how did they ever get planning permission to build there? The only advantage to this location is that it's walking distance for a handful of people in the village, although they already have SuperValu in walking distance and this to just cause more traffic chaos.

The other question I have about the location is that this is water-front property, why put a supermarket there? Now don't get me wrong I suspect a supermarket is a better choice than a block of Yuppie flats, but I'm just surprised at the location.

Also how did Tesco drop the ball and not have their Off-Licence\ liquor licence for opening and will they have it in time for Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

its handy to have a tesco so close for the things you can't get elsewhere but I will continue to support supervalu and the other smaller local stores, especially the awesome hardware shop round the corner on the main street. I really hope it doesnt hurt those shops too much because the service at tesco just doesn't compare.

edited to add: I love the coffee shop in carraig lair too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

MRSWEEBRI; in fairness if Tesco had been built just off the dual carraigeway, the effects on the independent retailers would have been alot worse. I think Tesco could be good for the independents; seen as it has been built in the town. It will bring people from new towns such as Athenry, Craughwell and Ardrahan, who probably would not have shopped in oranmore prior to Tesco comming. These people will hopefully venture out onto the streets and into the independent retailers when they finish their food shopping at Tesco.

BOZACKE; I am completely against out of town Tescos. I feel they take the people out of the town and as a result there is no spin off business to the independents. Did they get their liquor license yet? I hope they don't get one, so the independents benifit from Tesco not having an off-licence.

Did ye hear Joyces 365 is expanding??

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

It's just a normal Tesco. The only difference is entrance is the wrong side and it is really awkward to get to. I don't think it should have been built where it is, it does not make sense whatever way you look at it. I was in it and ok I have negative bias but i think the place is weirdly laid out and it feels to "supermarkety" for me.

I naturally compare it to Supervalu down the road and I will continue doing all my shopping there. People will say it is more expensive but it is not for my spending pattern at least. It is relaxing to shop in Supelvalu, staff are nice and the food is always fresh.

I don't work in or for Supervalu by the way :-) but I hope people don't automatically switch over to Tesco because they are perceived to be "big & cheap"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Joyces are opening in Tuam. Where else are they expanding to?

I'm delighted to see Tesco in Oranmore, the Super Valu there is pretty useless, staff are terribly slow, and their range is very limited and overpriced.

Carraig Lair is a grand wee development, as mentioned previously the coffee shop there is great, the Lidl is always pretty busy, the ladies clothes shop is lovely and the homewares shop isn't bad either.

I believe Tesco are getting their liquor licence sometime around the first week of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

NR04 wrote: »
    MRSWEEBRI; in fairness if Tesco had been built just off the dual carraigeway, the effects on the independent retailers would have been alot worse. I think Tesco could be good for the independents; seen as it has been built in the town. It will bring people from new towns such as Athenry, Craughwell and Ardrahan, who probably would not have shopped in oranmore prior to Tesco comming. These people will hopefully venture out onto the streets and into the independent retailers when they finish their food shopping at Tesco.

BOZACKE; I am completely against out of town Tescos. I feel they take the people out of the town and as a result there is no spin off business to the independents. Did they get their liquor license yet? I hope they don't get one, so the independents benifit from Tesco not having an off-licence.

Did ye hear Joyces 365 is expanding??

Joyces seem to be in the courts quite alot for consumer offences...like rotten meat being kept in freezers and wrong prices displayed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

swe_fi wrote: »
    It's just a normal Tesco. The only difference is entrance is the wrong side and it is really awkward to get to. I don't think it should have been built where it is, it does not make sense whatever way you look at it. I was in it and ok I have negative bias but i think the place is weirdly laid out and it feels to "supermarkety" for me.

I naturally compare it to Supervalu down the road and I will continue doing all my shopping there. People will say it is more expensive but it is not for my spending pattern at least. It is relaxing to shop in Supelvalu, staff are nice and the food is always fresh.

I don't work in or for Supervalu by the way :-) but I hope people don't automatically switch over to Tesco because they are perceived to be "big & cheap"

The reason for what appears to be a wierd layout is that this was meant ot be phase one of about 3 phases (though little chance of the rest being built now). Its also not a purpose built tesco thank god, as they are taken from the kindergarten school of architecture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I normally head into Dunnes in Briarhill for a big grocercy shop or to Lidl in Oranmore for to get my smaller bits (and stock up on some cheaper stuff). I went into Tesco for my weekly shop last week and found most things really overpriced and the selection pretty poor compared to Dunnes. I wont be using it for my usual shop. However Im really glad its there for bits and pieces, toys, cds, Dvds, some clothes - all that kind of stuff is really handy to have nearby... I cant tell you how often the kids have come home from school on a Friday with an invitation to a party on a Saturday and sorting out a gift in that situation is a pain in the ..... and Tesco really do have a decent selection of stuff for that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

What I don't get about the place is when you come up the travelators you are straight into Tesco and cannot even see the other units. Surely they are going to be reliant on some passing trade but they won't have any. Seems like a very strange design to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

They had no Gravy Bones...

Lucy is sad.........

3538548515_385291bed0_z.jpg?zz=1
    DSC_2174 by Crowded_House, on Flickr

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I have to say at first I found the layout very odd, but then someone told me it's supposed to open out onto a square at the front along with other shops in the future. I think it'll be a nice development if/when it is completed. Hopefully the square will look out onto the bay.

This is what part of it is supposed to look like.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2010/0630/1224273605535.html

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Could someone tell me if either the new Oranmore Tesco or the one in the city centre sell entertainment media i.e. games?
    Need to know if it's worth travelling in from Doughiska for this.

Could someone tell me if either the new Oranmore Tesco or the one in the city centre sell entertainment media i.e. games?
    Need to know if it's worth travelling in from Doughiska for this.

Not sure but they might have it in Xtravision in Oranmore - call them and ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes they sell Games, but only new releases and their prices aren't great, but no-one ever really went to Tesco for the latest releases. Xtra Vision would be a better bet.

New Tesco is great, infinitely better value then super valu, and far more variety than Lidl. Design is because it was part of a new town center and there was to be a plaza which Tesco was to overlook, hence the odd looking 'back' entrance now.

What do you be buying that's cheaper in Super Valu than in Tesco? I've lived in Oranmore since Super Valu opened and 'Valu' is not something I'd put on its list of positives. Would never shop in Super Valu over Tesco, it's ludicrously expensive. I used to shop in Lidi and then get some small pieces in SV the odd time. Lidl is great, but the lack of variety kills it compared to Tesco.

What do you be buying that's cheaper in Super Valu than in Tesco? I've lived in Oranmore since Super Valu opened and 'Valu' is not something I'd put on its list of positives. Would never shop in Super Valu over Tesco, it's ludicrously expensive. I used to shop in Lidi and then get some small pieces in SV the odd time. Lidl is great, but the lack of variety kills it compared to Tesco.

I didn't say it was cheaper though, but it depends on what and how you buy. Of course, the cheapest item (as in cheapest Cornflakes box) you might find in Tesco if you compare it to Supervalu but if you compare 2 "quality" items there is no difference. A lot of people would agree with you though (although you are wrong :D). It's not that big of a deal for me really, just not impressed with this particular Tesco, its just another bland supermarket.

Advertisement