Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

neck warmers

• 28-11-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

WTF...

watching MOTD now, cant help but notice this worrying sight....

talk about ghey

lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kneck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

lol, what a knumpty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

watchin too much eddie murphy lately....

watchin too much eddie murphy lately....

No, reading too many of your threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

It is fucking freezing these days.

Wouldn't blame them.

• Advertisement

Ashley Young was wearing a ridiculous one, but apparently it was because he lost a bet and that was his forfeit. What a dignified man, honouring a bet like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Snood is an interesting development, esp as a brass neck doesn't feel the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Who started it anyway....Buffon?

You would think running around for 90 mins would keep you warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ashley Young was wearing a ridiculous one, but apparently it was because he lost a bet and that was his forfeit. What a dignified man, honouring a bet like that.

:pac:

I don't think he is ever gonna live that down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

WTF...

watching MOTD now, cant help but notice this worrying sight....

talk about ghey

lol
    They've some neck alright. Id say my wife would slit my throat for wearing one.In all fairness-what a pack of pansies.The rugby an gaa crowd will be lovin this one-and I dont blame them. I was mortified when I saw it. Gloves,tights and neckwarmers.On a soccer player.Jesus wept his eyes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

players on 50 grand a week+ should have some balls and get out there and play.

not worry about getting cold, poor fu|kers.! my heart bleeds for them..

Imagine the French players in the world cup now, they must be dolled up to the nines in scarves, blankets, gloves, hats... wollies....:)

disgrace, if I was a gaffer I wouldnt let anyone out on the pitch like that, looking like a pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I always hated players wearing gloves when they play, especially gloves and then short sleeve tops, really bugged me. The kneck warmers are taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A good dose of HTFU needed

Was watching MOTD, I think they pointed out none of Mick McCarthy's players had them, proper order

It is fucking freezing these days.

Wouldn't blame them.
    Theyre supposed to be playing football.That consists of running around a pitch for 90+ mins. That SHOULD keep their poor little arses warm. SCARVES,GLOVES+TIGHTS.-OMFG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Global cooling..

It's even effecting the most pampered of us...

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its 55 grand a week if they wear one with a Nike sign on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

horrible looking things and like somebody above said youd think running around for 90 minutes would be enough to keep them warm. between gloves neckwarmers and goalkeepers wearing tracksuit bottoms id wonder are they men at all?! didnt henry used to wear tights of some description?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its 55 grand a week if they wear one with a Nike sign on it.
    And 60 for matching gloves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Henry was the first player to wear tights routinely in winter I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

The manlier-than-thou attitude some people seem to have is really tempting me to use the roll eyes emoticon...

It is freezing cold these days and I'm sure anything that helps exposed areas of the body get warm and stay warm is useful. I'm no physiotherapist, but I would think that warm neck muscles are less likely to be strained while heading a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Theyre supposed to be playing football.That consists of running around a pitch for 90+ mins. That SHOULD keep their poor little arses warm. SCARVES,GLOVES+TIGHTS.-OMFG.

True. I was looking at it from my own perspective, a goalkeeper's perspective. Had a match this morning, could have done with a neck warmer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

god i wonder how sunday league players cope? i know theyre not pros but rain hail or shine they play and they dont resort to gloves tights or neckwarmers. if the pros are that worried about a bit of cold maybe they should stay at home in front of an open fire and look at murder she wrote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im wearing one right now. A fine €2 investment in Penneys. I also wear black leggings in these cold months. The options are be cold or not be cold. I take the not be cold option. Simples :cool:

:confused: They are playing :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

sonic85 wrote: »
    maybe they should stay at home in front of an open fire and look at murder she wrote?

Jessica Fletcher is the biggest mass murderer unknown to mankind, she covers up everything by blaming the locals.Ph33r her you should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Who started it anyway....Buffon?

I don't think he started it but I've never seen anyone wear as much clothes while playing top flight football as Buffon does.

Even if you ignore the fact that he's having an altercation with a Scottish policeman, he's wearing a jacket under his jersey while playing international football. :D

qrnpmr.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

d22ontour wrote: »
    Jessica Fletcher is the biggest mass murderer unknown to mankind, she covers up everything by blaming the locals.Ph33r her you should.

Too right! Would you invite her over for tea. No. you know why? Someone would die and she'd conveniently solve the mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i dont think they wear them to be warm in fairness, its more a fashion accessorie than anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Totti's been snooding it up for years

totti.jpg

I want an MCFC one like Tevez for when I'm home at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

In fairness a lot of these players come from warm countries and you perform better when your warm rather than cold, I don't know how they can keep them on for the whole 90 minutes. I wear one too for a while if I had training or a match in some of the temperatures they play in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

My neck is rarely ever that cold when playing ball, but the media will always love to have a moan about how pure and manly the game used to be in comparison to today.

I'll never understand somebody giving out about a player wearing gloves, your hands being cold is probably the worst thing about playing any sport outside in the cold, and in a game that forbids the use of hands, a nice pair of warm gloves can only make a game more pleasant. I actually don't give a sh*t if somebody thinks I'm a bigger pansy because of it.

I'd take short sleeves and a pair of gloves over just long sleeves everyday of the week if it's this cold, cold hands are far far more uncomfortable than cold arms imo. Although long sleeves and gloves are obviously the ideal warm smart feminine mans option. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »
    Although long sleeves and gloves are obviously the ideal warm smart feminine mans option. :p

Pfffffft, onesie ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Frisbee wrote: »
    Pfffffft, onesie ftw.

But you're a girl so you could even get away with wearing a pair of uggs at a match. :p

I don't understand why and I have nothing against it but I just can't wear gloves while playing ball, I seem to have a mental block to it or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »
    But you're a girl so you could even get away with wearing a pair of uggs at a match. :p

I hate you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I blame the modern day football jerseys to be honest,they are like tissue paper.
    Paper thin and absolutely zero insulation in them.
    I cant understand why there aren't two types of jersey ,a winter one and a summer one.The manufacturers could make a mint.
    They could even incorporate a snood into them and perhaps a hood too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I blame all the sport physios and doctors that recognise that keeping yourself as warm as you can without hindering your football is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Neck warmers, and ahem neck warmers..

post_1492157_1233161848_med.jpg?imageId=12408642

Some neck indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't think he started it but I've never seen anyone wear as much clothes while playing top flight football as Buffon does.

Even if you ignore the fact that he's having an altercation with a Scottish policeman, he's wearing a jacket under his jersey while playing international football. :D

qrnpmr.jpg

Ya but look at that fcuker Kenny Miller.....He's just aking the pis with that silly hat !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I honestly don't get the problem with it. "Sure they make thousands a week, they shouldn't dress appropriately for the weather? Clearly this makes them homosexuals."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was playing football on thursday, and i was freezin me balls off, even though i was running around. AND, i was wearing gloves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Xavi6 wrote: »

I want an MCFC one like Tevez for when I'm home at Christmas.

You live in Australia? Shouldnt you be getting Speedo Banana Hammocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Just in from a match about 35 mins ago. No base layer, gloves or cycling shorts. Given the option though I'd have worn them and a snood, no problem. It's fookin' freezing out there and some eejit calling me 'ghey' is water off a ducks back.

Honestly I cant see why people have a problem with gloves, neck warmers etc. Running around does not keep your hands warm.

You wont catch me in anything less than a big fleece, gloves and a cap playing astro turf from now on and I always wore gloves when playing 11 aside if it was cold.

A few of the lads I play astro with have the full body armour stuff tights, vest etc. They look like the job for keeping warm, I will definitely consider investing in them over the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I find the worst thing about this weather is getting hit in the face with the ball I gloves are a god send in winter conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I found it very hard to warm up during training this week, my legs were still blue after doing several laps and stretches. Some sprint training sorted us out :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I can understand goalkeepers wearing more clothes as they don't do alot of running. Van der Sar must have been freezing yesterday!!!

Gloves on players arn't that bad. If your wearing decent ones they could even help for throws ins with a wet ball.

But that snood yolk is ri-dic-u-lous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Had to google snood
    Footballers playing in the UK who, not realising it will result in their ridiculing and questioning of their sexuality, often wear snoods when the temperature drops below that which would be considered a threat to the existence of humans in the country they are from (for example Marouane Chamakh of Morocco and Arsenal). Typically, the temperature in question is average for the time of the year, and comparisons are often, somewhat hilariously, drawn to the scene in Cool Runnings when the Jamaicans emerge from the airport wearing all their clothes to combat the cold weather.

I find the worst thing about this weather is getting hit in the face with the ball I gloves are a god send in winter conditions.

Not so much the face but getting a slap of a ball on cold ears is just killer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I wore full length under armour leggings and shirt in the winter back in my rugby playing youth, so did most of the rest of the lads. Leggings are almost the norm in rugby, they keep you warm and help prevent injury! Still wear the leggings under my trackies during cold kick abouts.
    Always wear gloves in the winter, cold hands are a bollocks.

I don't see what the fuss is about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement