Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got My Test Next Wednesday

• 28-11-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Two questions to ask:

Firstly, my car is taxed to this month and in normal circumstances it would be perfectly legal to drive on it for another month, but how do the testers view this? Will they refuse to go out in the car because of a tecnicality like the above?

Secondly, the forecast is for snow until next Thursday and I am wondering is it likely that my test will be rescheduled? (It is in the afternoon by the way at about two o'clock.)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If your car is taxed on the day of the test, then you should be ok.

It is somewhat likely that your test could be cancelled, but it's difficult to say.

Last winter, if there were any centres that were rescheduling tests, there was a table on the driving test website showing which ones were and weren't. Keep checking the website as they might put something similar up.

Best of luck in your test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

If your car is taxed on the day of the test, then you should be ok.

Basically my tax expires this month, but isn't it true you're allowed a month's grace period after the expiry date? What I'm wondering is will the tester accept this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The test will not go ahead because YOUR CAR IS NOT CURRENTLY TAXED ON THAT DATE.
    You need to have your documents and discs covering you and your car for the test date.
    Also, you should check that all lights and indicators are working too.

If the present icy weather stretches to your test date, it will be canceled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Basically my tax expires this month, but isn't it true you're allowed a month's grace period after the expiry date?
    No, however there is an informal grace period allowed by gardai if they are in a good mood. Not the same thing.
    What I'm wondering is will the tester accept this.
    No.

If your tax disc says 11/10, then on 01/12/10 the car is technically not taxed. If you then had a test on 01/12/10, you would forfeit your €70 and the test would be cancelled. Harsh i know, but them's the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Your test will NOT be cancelled because your tax is expired. It most likely will be if the current dangerous road conditions continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just to go against the majority here. We've had ex testers on here who tell us that you will be taken out for your test even if you do not have tax. The same is not true for NCT and insurance however.

loobylou wrote: »
    Your test will NOT be cancelled because your tax is expired. It most likely will be if the current dangerous road conditions continue.
    Just to go against the majority here. We've had ex testers on here who tell us that you will be taken out for your test even if you do not have tax. The same is not true for NCT and insurance however.
    Incorrect.

From the RSA website
    Soyou must have a current motor tax disc, a current insurance disc and a valid NCT disc (if required) clearly on display, a confirmation booking will not suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Hi,

I have my test in Rathgar in the morning. Is it likely to be cancelled?

Will I still need to go to the centre?

Thanks.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Incorrect.

From the RSA website

I can't find the posts relating to this, but despite the above, the test will not be cancelled due to not having current tax on a car.

I know it's madness, but there's been at least two ex.testers that have clarified that they will not cancel a test due to no tax.

I can't find the posts relating to this, but despite the above, the test will not be cancelled due to not having current tax on a car.

I know it's madness, but there's been at least two ex.testers that have clarified that they will not cancel a test due to no tax.

That was comments from EX testers, who maybe worked for SGS and applied some common sense.
    The current testers work for the RSA and most of them would look for the slightest excuse to abandon the test, which is adding more expense to to the person taking the test.
    I would NOT recommend taking the chance to appear for the test without everything in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Can't find the link right now but there was some legal challenge made to this at some stage.
    Despite how strange it sounds (and despite what it says on the RSA website), the tester must conduct the test, even if the car is untaxed.
    Would love to see what happens if the candidate drove through a Garda checkpoint though.:D

agentgreen wrote: »
    Hi,

I have my test in Rathgar in the morning. Is it likely to be cancelled?

Will I still need to go to the centre?

Thanks.

??? :confused::confused::confused:

agentgreen wrote: »
    ??? :confused::confused::confused:

Being honest, i'd say there's no hope. The roads around Rathgar are lethal now, they'll be worse in the morning.

Being honest, i'd say there's no hope. The roads around Rathgar are lethal now, they'll be worse in the morning.
    Thanks.

It's at 9.15. So I still don't need to go to the centre to get a slip or anything, do I?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 magochre

I checked the RSA website (rsa.ie) and they've stated it's likely there will be disruptions to tests tomorrow due to the weather, they haven't listed where yet but advise you to keep checking the site as they'll update it when they have decided.
    They say they will contact you in the event your test is cancelled by them and will at some point reschedule a new date for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

That was comments from EX testers, who maybe worked for SGS and applied some common sense.
    The current testers work for the RSA and most of them would look for the slightest excuse to abandon the test, which is adding more expense to to the person taking the test.
    I would NOT recommend taking the chance to appear for the test without everything in order.

Tests cannot be cancelled due to out of date tax, it's not at the testers discretion. They can only refuse to go out in a car if Ins or NCT discs are out of date, ie for health & safety reasons.
    Had a pupil in Tallaght last week who was tested with his tax 2 months out of date.

brian076 wrote: »
    Tests cannot be cancelled due to out of date tax, it's not at the testers discretion. They can only refuse to go out in a car if Ins or NCT discs are out of date, ie for health & safety reasons.
    Had a pupil in Tallaght last week who was tested with his tax 2 months out of date.

I learn something new every day Brian, but I still would not recommend anyone going for a test without everything in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

I learn something new every day Brian, but I still would not recommend anyone going for a test without everything in order.

True, it's always better to have everything in order, it wouldn't look good if you were stopped and prosecuted by the gardai on your test, but it's not the testers job to enforce the law.

Apperently some years ago there was an industrial dispute at the Motor Tax office which prevented people from renewing their car tax. A tester refused to take a car out with expired tax, the applicant took the dept of transport to court because he was unable to renew it, and won the case.

Since then all testers have been instructed not to cancel a test if a car has expired tax.

If thats true why would they not then remove the information from the website

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Max Power1 wrote: »
    If thats true why would they not then remove the information from the website

It's Ireland. Now what would anyone be wanting with that interweb thing?

• Advertisement

brian076 wrote: »

I don't have the money at the moment to tax the car and my test is tomorrow, so are you sure this is OK?

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Driving-Test-Disruptions/
    I dont think your test will take place tomorrow, just read the above link to the RSA website.

Well, as expected, my test got cancelled last week. I now have it tomorrow morning and the conditions are still quite dangerous, so has anyone any advice on what approach to take that will make me look like a careful driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

If your test is before 11.05 it is not supposed to be happening in Rathgar (which is where I think you said your test is on), according to the RSA listed cancelations. After that it is up for review again?

ADIDriving wrote: »
    If your test is before 11.05 it is not supposed to be happening in Rathgar (which is where I think you said your test is on), according to the RSA listed cancelations. After that it is up for review again?

My mistake, it's actually at 14.05 and it's in Churchtown. 11.55 was the time I was originally scheduled for.

Advertisement