Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny things your pets did in the snow today

• 28-11-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Our kittens (well, cats really at this stage) have just seen their first snow and they weren't too sure what to make of it.

The tom cat wasn't really impressed by the snow on his front paws, and every time he took a step he shook his front paws. When he got over to me he stopped, looked up at me, and then sat up on his hind legs with his front paws in the air, and demanded that I pick him up so that his front paws wouldn't be so cold!

Once he had become accustomed to the snow, he decided it might be fun to play with the brach of a shrub which was quite low due to the weight of the snow. He went over to it, sat under it and took a swipe at the branch, and was most indignat when some snow fell on top of him! He ran away, sat down and looked at it, trying to decide what he'd do with it in revenge. Next thing he jumped up, ran over to the shrub and attacked the branch with both paws until all the snow had fallen off it. I managed to get a brief video clip of it... Very funny! :D

Did anybody else's pets do anything funny in the snow today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SNOW? AH West Cork is a snow free area thankfully!

Takes me back to last winter though...

The move here was a great thing indeed,,, but so cold.. woke this morning to find one of the cats curled round my head..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Took my dog out and he barked like hell at the imposter in his friend the car's space.

Our friend the car is RED, damnit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

We've not been out for a proper walk yet this weekend, but here's Tegan in last year's snow:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two dogs love the snow, I can't move without them running for the door. Yesterday we were out from 8am until about 4, I am still recovering and thankfully they seem less exited today, but we've still been out twice(so far).
    We've had the fetch snowball game, which they got fed up with quite quick, no fun when you can't find the snowball, although they still run madly when you throw one, just don't bother trying to find it.
    Then there's the snow plough with roll, nose in the snow, run along until there's a good build up, then dive into it and roll about like a loon.
    They have also made snow angels dog style, and the boy has been doing "power slides" today according to the kids, runs like mad then brakes and slides, its very funny, but have yet to catch him on camera.
    They appear to love the ice as much as the snow and have made it their mission to find every bit of virgin snow and pounce all over it.

As for the cats.....they have been in bed since it all started and will only rush out for a toilet brake then straight back to bed.:D

Kylith thats just what my two are doing, times 100000000000000:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

convert wrote: »
    Our kittens (well, cats really at this stage) have just seen their first snow and they weren't too sure what to make of it.

The tom cat wasn't really impressed by the snow on his front paws, and every time he took a step he shook his front paws.

My kitten, who's almost 6 months old and has never seen snow before, went out in it a while ago. She'd been wanting to go out all morning, so it was funny when she took a look outside and seemed quite perplexed. She obviously had no idea why everything was white :D Then she acted exactly like convert's tom cat. She hates anything wet or cold on her paws, but she was determined to make the most of her chance at being outside.

I threw a snowball for her to chase after and the look on her face when it just disintegrated was hilarious "huh? where'd it go?" Hehe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

It was my dog's first time seeing snow he was so cautious of it. Stepping in it and wiggling his paws, he got so excited and starting hopping and bouncing around th place and yapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    he got so excited and starting hopping and bouncing around th place

Yeah this is what our guy is trying to do - funny, scary and sad at the same time as he had an op on his leg 2 weeks ago and is only allowed out of his crate on the lead to go to the loo!! Poor baby - hopefully we'll have some more snow for him to play in when he's allowed! :D:pac::pac: I'm not a fan of the cold but great fun when you're bundled up watching them run amok and play in the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bunny&spoon

Our lad is 8 months old so its his first time seeing snow. he was quite wary of it at first! he looked out the window and spent the next 20 mins barking his head off trying to warn my sisters dogs (who were out in the snow, loving it!) about the dangerous white stuff that had taken over the garden!

Bailey usually loves to get covered in muck/water from head to toe but one step into the snow and he was dashing to get back inside! after a few more attempts to get him out, he was loving it and then i couldnt get him back in! the snowball fetch thing was quite hiliarious, he couldnt understand where it went and kept coming back to me to help him find it. tried to take a drink, ended up playing bob for apples (apples replaced by ice of course:D )

Our other lad Minty loves rollin in the snow and waits til he comes inside to shake it all off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

well the kids here threw a snowball at squirell last night, dont think they were expecting him to catch it and then head home with it firmly in his mouth:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

JJ the cat has been trying to catch falling snowflakes! He's up on his back legs batting the air, and then very confused when hasn't caught anything. Must keep the camera close in case it starts snowing again! The cold doesn't seem to bother him. He sleeps in the shed usually (cat flap, basket and blankie!), and when I called him in last night to sleep indoors he didn't bother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Had the two pups out in the snow for ages today, they were loving every minute of it. But by the end there was so much snow on the smaller ones legs, he was walking like John Wayne:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

My own dog does the same thing every time it snows-refuses to go out and pee!!! Mind you, she does the same when it rains!:D The cat loves it, he has his big thick winter coat so he pounces around in the garden rediscovering familiar things hidden underneath the all the white.

I was in my BF's parents for dinner today, their two were running around llike loons! The lab was barking away at her own echo as it was so quiet and calm here, and the cocker was trying to squash any piece of snow he hadn't already stepped on. A load of snow fell from a tree branch on top of his head and he just collapsed to the ground with a "HUH! Where did that come from?!!" look on his face :p

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I've gotten a good laugh from all your posts!
    On our walk yesterday, my fella found a stick (well half a tree, really) and went sprinting up the road, shaking the stick (ie trying to killing it), and growling. He'd try to stop and go sliding along the icy road, then come racing back towards me, still with stick in mouth- nearly took the knees off me!
    I'm hoping for more snow all week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Here's Holly going mental in the snow! She loves it :)

http://yfrog.com/f7n2uz

We were out in the wide fields in the snow early this morning.. dogs racing like puppies, ears flying back.... collie eating snow..rolling in it, their white bits looking dingy and grey.. They are old hands at snow now and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

In a world full of snow my dog found something to roll in, 4 inches of snow, running loose in a field, he stops dead, digs then rolls.
    So now he's sulking in his bed after I washed one side of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

My cat went ice-skating! The funniest thing - she found a stretch of v. smooth ice and kept running at it and launching herself on for a long slide. :D

Outside time is definitely much shorter these days though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My dog hates the snow. He pretty much refuses to go out in it.

My mum brought him for a walk earlier and after about 5 minutes started crying and tried to stop having his feet on the ground and refused to move again until my mum picked him up and carried him home.

He was the same last winter. Really hates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Brook loves the snow, it's written all over her face!!! :)

27.11.10 Brook2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

The last few days have been a lot of fun with Bruno.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Loves the snow :)

• Advertisement

It is my imagination or does snow make dogs hyper? Wee dog has been way above herself all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Poor lilly is still house bound because of the cut on her paw. when she goes out for a pee she comes in lloking like she has a severe cocaine addiction.:D

So even though her snow time is restricted, her couch time (usually confined to night) has been extended. Her new thing is trying to catch the mouse cursor on the screen of the laptop. Hilarious. If you move it off the edge of the screen she goes looking for it at the back of it:D:D

Thats sort of snow based behaviour isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

My dog a samoyed absolutely loves the snow, loves eating it and rolling round and digging in it! then he discovered his waterbowl was frozen over:P he soon figured out how to get the ice, scratching and moving it with his nose then turned it over and got the ice out of the bowl and ran around the garden with a big round block of ice in his mouth( was very amusing to watch):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The snow is driving my dogs mental with happiness. They're wrestling all day, playing with balls, digging random things out of the snow.

And its making them all talkative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

my boys first christmas, therefore his first snow!

after skidding around on the ice for a while it started to snow again and he was jumping in the air to catch the snowflakes, I think he thought it was food and tried to chew it!!!
    he looked so confused and frustrated! but he loved messing around in it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Warning!This is not funny....only to cat owners.

Ive spent the past 3 days opening the door constantly to a seemingly neurotic cat (its me really) who paws the door like a maniac non stop and seems to be going "oooh my gaaawd lemme outside, leeemmme ouuutssiiiiide pllleeeease,whirly things to catch pleeease" Only to get this:

004_6.jpg ....a stare!

He does 2 steps and sits down.Half in and half out.Hes outside enough to feel like he's there, but not enough to get cold....WTF?

Im the sap holding the door,letting all the f**kin heat out and imagining the ESB bill in Jan ...just so he can sit and staaaaare??:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

^ That's the same as our cat these days. The first couple of days the snow was a novelty, but not anymore. She still thinks she wants to go out, but as soon as the door is opened she looks unimpressed that everything's still white.

There's about a foot of clear, dry ground along the wall of the house, so she walks along that, then sits down looking to see if there's a way to get to the nearest tree/other interesting things without having to walk in it. When she realises there isn't she comes back in and sulks for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bulger the deaf White cat has just woken and seen snow for the first time !! Lol. Poor guy hasn't a notion what's going on. Look of total WTF !! :)

This is kinda the expression
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3wdHxyGcLoQ/hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My guys are adoring the snow :D

The big guy just runs and runs and runs he seems to take great delight in disturbing fresh ground.

My littlest one is not keen on snowmen though I have to go up to everyone we see and touch them to reassure her that they aren't going to attack her. Otherwise she just stands there barking at them looking really confused :rolleyes:

My neighbours must think I'm mad going around touching all of the new residents (they already think i'm mad for having 4 dogs ):D

Advertisement