Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy

Options
  • 28-11-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hey, anyone here studying energy? I'm hoping to put it down as my first place on the CAO and have a few questions about it.
    • I'm doing ordinary maths (need a b3 requirement), will I struggle a lot? I'm quite good at maths but we can't do higher in our school.
    • I'm doing biology as my science subject, how difficult will physics be if I haven't done it for leaving?
    • Whats the overall work load of the course like?
    • Whats the most difficult aspect of it?
    • Do you enjoy it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Hi there,

I can't tell you exactly what the course is like because this is the first year of it but I do Applied Physics and have done some of the modules on the course especially in the Power and Science branches.

Higher Level Maths would be a bonus as Engineering Maths and Science Maths 1 are basically leaving cert revision courses. Engineering Maths is quite heavily calculus based with a bit of vectors and matrices, though despite what some pupils will say the lecturer is quite good if your willing to sit through the stuff and work at it. The highest level of maths I can see you needing is basic vector calculus unless you choose the markets option in which probability theory is quite advanced from what I hear (I haven't done it myself).

Usually its not that important for first years to put in much outside work. But if you havent done physics for the leaving then you will need to put quite a bit of work into the basic modules in first year. They don't go much further than the leaving cert course and an hour a day in the library studying not including reports or projects and you should be fine.

The work load for the course looks similar to most science courses, some modules will have mid-terms, some will have labs, good time management and it shouldnt get too heavy.

The most difficult aspect I found of the course was Thermal Physics, the lecturer is a genius, very engaging and a great teacher but he expects alot in return.

The most enjoyable aspect of the course for me is the challenge, Thermal Physics was nearly everyone in my courses favourite module because despite the level of difficulty it challenged us and nearly always left us wanting to learn more about whatever we were learning about. This semester for one class we were made make a weather station from scratch and by the end of it we got it working perfectly, seeing the practical outcomes from all the theory is gratifying.

Tho someone who has done the course would be better there isnt anyone who has done more than 3 months of it. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Thanks very much Entropic for the reply! it helped me a lot to get a understanding from a students point of view. I'm even more eager about the course now.

I must do extra bit of revision in those areas of maths and start looking into physics especially over the summer when the leaving is finished with. Would it be difficult to teach myself from a leaving certifcate book with the help of the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Hey man, sorry about the late reply. It's exam time and I just plain forgot :p.

You should be easily able to teach yourself the stuff, if you can get your hand on the physics book for leaving cert and just read through it a few times youll start to pick up enough for you. I would recommend doing the same with the math, but you would only need the 4th book (is it still T&T3 for pass and 4&5 for leaving) as long as you do the problems at the back.

There are too many things on the internet to even try and point you in the right place but just for pure interest and learning from one of the greatest teachers ever try to download Feynmann's Lectures on Physics. One of the greatest physicists teaches a first year physics class. I still watch it becuase of the legend that is Richard Feynmann.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

No bother at all

Goodstuff, must check them out. Thanks for all the advice it really helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

I dropped out of the course and switched (Thank God)....it is tuff.Physics supposidly very hard to get around if you havnt done it for the LC....I was there for a few weeks and didn't have a clue what was going on.Also hard chemistry aspect to the course and I know somebody who failed the year because of the chemistry.The science with the least amount of emphasis on it is Biology and this was the only science I had done beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

your no more the shtig then i am Bryan Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

First semester is just a basic run through of basic sciences and an Energy module which covers an overview of the course really. It seems very interesting. Not a choice to choose to meet a lady though :(

Applied Maths is a brilliant help for physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

Hi im another LC student who wants to do energy....... myrs and thhev fav subject in school is HL maths and physics, but i neva did chemistry, would i be at a big disadvantage?.... Also what are the hours and the workload like for this course???

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Hi im another LC student who wants to do energy....... myrs and thhev fav subject in school is HL maths and physics, but i neva did chemistry, would i be at a big disadvantage?.... Also what are the hours and the workload like for this course???

Please stop the text speak do ya know how hard it is to read it.
    to answer your question not doing chemistry for the leaving cert will not hinder you with the course, the hours like all science subjects the hours would be around 30 hours per week and the work load would be fairly large as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I didn't do any science bar App. Maths for the LC and I'm finding it grand.
    Some people do find the work hard though, especially Physical Chemistry.

The hours will depend on what stream you choose, but in 2nd semester of 1st year I've 25hours a week. The workload depends on the work you put in really. We haven't been getting loads of projects like other courses yet though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement