Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticker residue on bonnet

• 28-11-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I managed to pick up a nice little Megane at auction today but have noticed that one of the previous owners had two small stickers right at the front of the bonnet at some stage. They were removed long before I ever saw the car but the outline and residue from the stickers still remain.

Any suggestions as to the best way to remove whats left of them without putting any blemish on the paintwork? They're located in quite a prominent position.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tar remover or petrol should help remove any adhesive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

WD-40 should do the job.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

If tar remover doesn't do the job, then a little elbow grease and T-Cut should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

if its sticky try heat it a small bit with a hairdryer or similar before using tar remover.. i would recomend holts tar remoner gel.. if its just an outline it might need to be polished out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heatgun/hairdryer then use a piece of folded paper to scrape it off. Or maybe you can just pull it off by hand. Tar remover or some oily substance should get whatever is left off without damaging paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just a word of warning about tar remover; I sprayed a good bit on the bonnet of my transit to get a load of residue off, some dripped down to the headlamp and actually cracked the plastic. I think there may have been a slight crack in the plastic already and this just worsened it. It's great to use to get rid of the gunk, but just make sure to only use what's needed and don't go overboard :) A heat gun will help but shouldn't be necessary if it's just a bit of residue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hope you're not planning to do this outside today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

It is actually substantially hardened. I managed to get a small bit off using my nail and persistence the other day but it was slow progress. Don't really want to take a scraper of any sort to the bonnet for fear of scraping it.

Advertisement