Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me I'm giving up the fags again!

Options
  • 28-11-2010 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Went back on the cigs in 2009 after being off them for fifteen months cold turkey. Have made four attempts since then but relapsed each time. Have been smoking in excess of 20 cigarettes per day mostly in the evenings for the past 35 years. My health has suffered immensly serious stomach ,throat and bone problems .

I have to give them up before they destroy me. Each time I've gone back on them its been due to a stressful incident but I know deep down that they have caused more stress than helped me solve the problem. Need to be able to stand up to the brainwashing that they are the crutch that will help me overcome stressful situations.

Have tried hypnotherapy forked out in excess of €1000 this year alone on Hypnotherapy but to no avail. also used patches. This time I am going cold turkey but feel it would be beneficial to be able to relay my progress on this site - the highs and the lows as it I live alone and its hard not to be able to share my feelings and concerns.

Money is not a motivator for me . My motivation is health and fortunately I am still fit despite my health problems and want to remain so.

Would appreciate your support as I am starting tomorrow!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Hi

You could try talking to your doctor. A friend of mine got tablets that helped her to kick the habit once and for all.

She is off them 4 months now. I was thinking of doing the same I also smoke up to 20 a day.

Good luck - I hope you succeed!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

First off, I can confirm that you'll definitely get support here! It's not always the most active of forums, but we've all been in the same boat at some stage, so those of us who are here, will surely be glad to listen.

Secondly, it's great that you've managed to quit before. Fifteen months is a lot longer than any quit attempt I've made (including my current attempt) so I hope that gives you confidence for this attempt. Seriously, 15 months cold turkey was a great achievement!

So the best of luck with it. All of the readers here will be rooting for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Thanks for your support.

Day one has gone ok . Have been to my doctor but because of the vaIrious medications I'm on I cannot take the nictotine replacements therapies that are available. So its cold turkey for me.

Went for a long walk today and felt great. Fortunately I am still very fit and able to jog and walk so that increases my motivation to succeed as if I continue to smoke I will not stay that way.

Its great to have the support and I am taking it one day at a time.

Will be away from my computer until Thursday but will keep informed of my progress and will take it one day at a time

Thanks again

Thanks for responding. Have been to my doctor but because of the various medications I'm on I cannot take the nictotine replacements therapies that are available. So its cold turkey for me.

So far so good. I will not have access to my computer until Thursday night but will send an update then .

Your support is much appreciated as it takes away the isolation

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Best of luck over the next few days then... you can do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Beala

Best of luck OP :) I unintentionally gave them up last Tuesday because I had a fairly bad sore throat. Fully recovered now and still off them ! Googled some tips and one which I'm finding surprisingly good is having a small glass if water whenever I feel the dreaded craving! I don't know but it seems to take my mind off it for awhile. Also I've started drinking camomile tea because I've heard when you go off the nicotine, caffeine has a stronger effect on your system. Just something to be aware of if you drink a lot of
    coffee. Best of luck with it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Was in a similar enough situation to yourself OP.

I got champix from the doctor and giving up was the easiest thing i done. I've been off cigarettes going on 2 years now.

They are not nicotene replacement but are not suited to everyone. Well worth trying if they suit you though.

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    Thanks for your support.

Day one has gone ok . Have been to my doctor but because of the vaIrious medications I'm on I cannot take the nictotine replacements therapies that are available. So its cold turkey for me.

Went for a long walk today and felt great. Fortunately I am still very fit and able to jog and walk so that increases my motivation to succeed as if I continue to smoke I will not stay that way.

Its great to have the support and I am taking it one day at a time.

Will be away from my computer until Thursday but will keep informed of my progress and will take it one day at a time

Thanks again
    Fell after three after my last attempt so decided to wait until the new year and try with the help of Champix. Have taken my first weeks tablets and stopped new years eve. Have been ill over Christmas so this has made me more than ever to succeed this time . Day one completed and so far no cravings or side effects from the tablets

Thansk Coalbucket for the advice on champix. My doctor prescribed them for me a week ago and so far no side effects.
    My giving up date was 01/01/2011 and so far so good. The fact that I had been ill with bronchitis since Stephens day provided an addtional motivator for me. Have to admit sick and all that I was I managed to puff and cough my way to a few cigs per day - but was looking forward to my start date to arrive.

No cravings today but a feel good feeling inside of what I am going to achieve
    and the satisfaction that I will get from not being a slave to the weed

Hope you have a happy new year

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    Thansk Coalbucket for the advice on champix. My doctor prescribed them for me a week ago and so far no side effects.
    My giving up date was 01/01/2011 and so far so good. The fact that I had been ill with bronchitis since Stephens day provided an addtional motivator for me. Have to admit sick and all that I was I managed to puff and cough my way to a few cigs per day - but was looking forward to my start date to arrive.

No cravings today but a feel good feeling inside of what I am going to achieve
    and the satisfaction that I will get from not being a slave to the weed

Hope you have a happy new year
    Many happy returns, well done, konw what ur going through, its hard, but we will take it one day at a time, best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

Now that I've read your story I'm thinking of you and hoping you'll get to where you want to be. You have your finger on the button when you say you have to stand up to the brainwashing...

One stat I vaguely remember from a pal who worked in smoking cessation (and had a pack of B&H a day!!!) - every unsuccessful attempt to stop makes the next attempt more likely to succeed. Important also not to be beating ourselves up....

Anyway good luck on this New Year's resolution - keep logging!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

How are you getting on ShinShin?

Day four now....you've just seriously improved your health!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Porridgemonster

I gave up smoking over 5 years ago when my daughter was born,up to that I smoked nearly 40 a day.
    I just quit without patches,gum,tablets,etc but I always kept a pack of 20 and a lighter with me because I felt I missed them more when I didnt have any with me.
    It worked for me,although I still carry them around with me 5 years later (in case of emergency):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I gave up smoking over 5 years ago when my daughter was born,up to that I smoked nearly 40 a day.
    I just quit without patches,gum,tablets,etc but I always kept a pack of 20 and a lighter with me because I felt I missed them more when I didnt have any with me.
    It worked for me,although I still carry them around with me 5 years later (in case of emergency):D

Lol! I have no idea how you can do that! :eek:

Just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

Congrats five years on.....:)

Shinshin where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Shin Shin - I hope you are keeping OK and still off them auld smelly fags
    If not then try try try again!

Navan

still clean after 11 days . See my posts on thread post for all those who quit evil fags.

Congrats to you also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Daveymouse

Hi all, I was a chain smoker for 30 years and never went longer than one day without having to start again. But at 10.30am on Jan/14/2008 I had my last fag ever, and I've not wanted one again since. All I did was read a book called "Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking" It deals with the physiological problems of giving up and once that's delt with and you have finished the book, you only then stop smoking and you find the physical side is really easy to deal with.

Advertisement