Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair allocation of space

Options
  • 28-11-2010 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

Moving in soon with my Boyfriend and my sister. We all get on pretty well but just wanted to see what was fair cos my mum has been intervening making sure my sis doesn't feel like a gooseberry etc

Anyways, its a 3 bed duplex. 2 double rooms, and 1 single. One ensuite and 1 upstairs bathroom and 1 downstairs bathroom.
    We agreed she could have the ensuite and we'd share the upstairs bathroom- my suggestion cos she'd like it and also me and the other half have diff hours so we'd be disturbing each other.

She has one two closets in her room and we've 3 closets.
    There are two in the single room that we said we'd share.

Thing is with the single room, suggestions have been made by mother (bit overprotective of my younger sis as she has health problems) that the single room my sister could turn it into a tv room for her/friends over so she wouldn't feel like a gooseberry in the main tv room and always be up in her bedroom- couldn't really fit a couch in there.

But since me and the other half are sharing a room, be nice for him to use it as a study as he works from home 2 days- also he snores quite a bit and i could go sleep there sometimes.

what ye all think? seeing as there are 3 of us, if we were all independent he'd be in the single room anyways, and me and the sis would have double rooms.
    Shes not pushing for anything but i do want to be fair.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Do you think she'd feel like a gooseberry, due to her personality or because you and boyfriend are all over eachother? I doubt she'd be able to use the single when her friends are over, unless it is very big. You could put a futon or sofa bed in there so you could both use it as an office and a bedroom/ small sitting room...

How are you dividing up rent? I would say if the single room is only used by her, then she should pay more than if it is only used by your partner for an office- then he should pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What age are you? And what age is your sister?

Time to cut the apron strings and stop deferring to you mother so much.

IMO no one should have the box room for their own personal use (unless someone is paying way more than the others).

The box room could be a study slash tv room depending on who wants to use it.

Ps. Any arguments that occur, solve yourselves - do not involve mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

honestly I think in your sister's position I'd resent being made watch TV in a box room more than having to sit with a couple in the larger, comfortable TV room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I live with my girlfriend and have the spare room converted into a computer room with a second TV in it. It works great to allow us to have our own space. My advise would be to do the same, but do not make it for the use of just one person; get your bf to put his computer in there and your sister to stick a second TV in it, and whoever wants to use it can.

I also agree with Amdublin above; in the nicest possible way I think you need to tell your mother to back off out of your affairs. Its your place, your freedom, and if she continues to interfere and tell your and your sisters affairs you will eventually begin to resent her for it. Its up to you and your sister how you organize the house, and while your mother can make suggestions, ultimately its none of her business. If your sister needs her to fight her battles for her then maybe she is not ready to move out of home.

Im sorry if that comes across as strong, but its better that it is said from the start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I agree with the above, not making her feel like a lemon would be a lot better than banishing her to the box room. Just means not lying across each other all the time on the couch. And when the three of you watch TV act like 3 friends, not a couple with a hanger-oner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If a room becomes private, it needs to be paid for by the person using it. This might be useful: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

If you are paying 2/3 of the rent ,the spare room should be yours,but as posted you could put a pc ,tv AND A small bed in it let anyone use it.MOST tenants i know have cable/tv satellite in their bedroom , as everyone has different taste in tv.
    IF Shes working,going out it should not be a big issue.
    You are all adults, make your own plan,its not your mothers business.
    if im paying 33 percent of the rent i would not expect to get the spare room.
    LET her watch tv in it, if she wants when the boyfriend is gone out, as long as shes knows, its not her room.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

hey thanks for the responses

ya think its fair that we all can use it when need be as we're all paying equal rent.

My sis is used to living alone and so is my other half so we'll just all have to adjust to living with people again.

It'll be grand once we're settled in i'm sure. Just have to sort out who'll be main person the rent will come out of their account and who's taking what bill. The joys.. any tips to make it easier?? thanks

Advertisement