Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec 63 alarm fault - driving me nuts

Options
  • 28-11-2010 4:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My Astec alarm is about 4 years old now and yesterday evening it went off for no reason at 9pm when it wasn't even armed. The panel was flashing "Tamper Zone 2". I checked the sensors in this zone and they were not moved or messed with in any way (I've 5 kids and that was my first thought, i.e. they had done it!).

So I went to bed around midnight and set the alarm only to be woken at 1am by the alarm going off and with the same message flashing on the panel.

As I don't have the engineer's code, I thought of turning the power off to the alarm using the rcb that the alarms wired into. However, "battery" started to flash and the alarm went off but then the panel went blank so I couldn't disarm it. I turned the power back on and the panel came back to life and then I could disarm it.

The panel has been flashing "code 77 call engineer" for about 5 months now but I know thats the service interval code so I ignored it. As the battery has never been changed, could this be the reason? Or has one of the sensors gone bad, i.e. should I take the cover off and see if the wiring is ok? Or could it be down to a fault with one of the lights in my kitchen as the alarm is also wired off the same rcb. One of teh lights has been flickering on and off for a few days. I had a quick look at the wiring a few minutes ago and it all seems fine though.

Any idea what's wrong with this alarm as its woken my wife and kids (and probably the neighbours up a few times) and I'm bloody knackered at this stage:mad:?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tamer zone 2 is either a device faulty or a wiring fault on that zone.
    For now remove a sensor from that zone and leave it disconnected. That should prevent any further activations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 defjam008

Hi, I was just checking if i could disconnect a sensor from the alarm without causing problems, the new window does not open now so do not need the sensor, can this be done?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

defjam008 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just checking if i could disconnect a sensor from the alarm without causing problems, the new window does not open now so do not need the sensor, can this be done?

Thanks!

Any sensor can be disconnected. If you open the sensor there should be two cores of a cable in the outer terminals and two cores joined together in the center terminal. the outer two need to be joined together, that is if this is the middle of a loop. If there is a resistor in this device then the resistor will need to be put in series with the two outer cores. If there is only one cable using two cores then join the cables together, if there is a resistor then you need to put the resistor in series with these cores. If there is access to this window I would install a shock sensor on the window if there are no openings.

Advertisement