Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts

• 28-11-2010 5:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Where is the best place to do it? UCD, NUIG? Anywhere else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

TV career not going well for you then Ray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Hey Foley, What's the point of those cringey one liners before the ad-breaks???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Well if we're all taking the piss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Give it a rest, you lot! :p
    Ray Foley wrote: »
    Where is the best place to do it? UCD, NUIG? Anywhere else?
    A large number of colleges offer a degree in Arts ... Trinity, NUIG, UCD, UCC, many others.

"Arts" covers a very broad range of subjects, so you really can't decide that Arts as a block in one college is better than another.

What subjects do you want to do? ... some colleges are definitely stronger in certain subjects. Do some research, talk to people. Look at the syllabus / course descriptor online. You may find that in the subjects you want to do, the course in certain colleges is more appealing, or vice versa. They *will* vary in emphasis.

Think about what colleges you would prefer to attend. What ones are easier to get to? Think about costs of accommodation, travel, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

Give it a rest, you lot! :p

A large number of colleges offer a degree in Arts ... Trinity, NUIG, UCD, UCC, many others.

"Arts" covers a very broad range of subjects, so you really can't decide that Arts as a block in one college is better than another.

What subjects do you want to do? ... some colleges are definitely stronger in certain subjects. Do some research, talk to people. Look at the syllabus / course descriptor online. You may find that in the subjects you want to do, the course in certain colleges is more appealing, or vice versa. They *will* vary in emphasis.

Think about what colleges you would prefer to attend. What ones are easier to get to? Think about costs of accommodation, travel, etc.

Trinity don't offer as much subjects as the others do they? what is the points range?

Where can I find a list of what each college offers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Trinity don't offer as much subjects as the others do they? what is the points range?

Where can I find a list of what each college offers?

From their websites! :)

I'm pretty sure in TCD it's called TSM though.. If so, here's a link to trinity!

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/faculty/

Edit: Here's a few more

NUIG:
    www.nuigalway.ie/arts

UCC:
    www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    From their websites! :)

I'm pretty sure in TCD it's called TSM though.. If so, here's a link to trinity!

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/faculty/

How does the points work for this. Different subjects have different points.

How does the points work for this. Different subjects have different points.
    Aye, it depends on the combination of subjects.

See page 2 for last year's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

NUIM hasn't mentioned, you should look into them as well. They're also the only University to offer Business and Law as arts subjects atm afaik

Nah. Full of priests is that town. And priests have had a lot of bad publicity of late!

• Advertisement

Nah. Full of priests is that town. And priests have had a lot of bad publicity of late!

Clearly you haven't been around maynooth as of late. Been here a year and a half now. perhaps met one priest....

They do have a really good Arts programme and offer some opportunities that other programmes don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've heard Trinity to be the best. I'm sure NUIM is grand but theres no college atmosphere there at all.

I've heard Trinity to be the best. I'm sure NUIM is grand but theres no college atmosphere there at all.

There's plenty of atmosphere! Everyone knows everyone else and there's always great craic and fun around! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP, What subjects were you thinking of doing?

... there's no college atmosphere there at all.
    Such a definitive statement, crayolastereo ... speaking from personal experience?

Sorry but aren't you in 5th year.

unknown13 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP, What subjects were you thinking of doing?

Some Geography or something. Haven't a clue really, hence I'm talking about Arts.

In UCD you can do Geography with most things except German and Celtic Studies. It is up to you where you decide to go at the end of the day. Look at the other colleges and see what combinations they offer with Geography.

IMO. NUIM has the best Arts programme in the Country and this is coming from a UCD student. The subjects you can do there are the best in the country for an Arts programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Close relative went there, just going on what she told me everyday, but maybe she's a recluse or something.

Close relative went there, just going on what she told me everyday, but maybe she's a recluse or something.

I have heard very good things about NUIM and Social Life in NUIM in particular. The end of the day, YOU didn't go or don't go there. So don't look down on places, particularly when the source of your information is: Hear say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

A person makes their own college experience, end of. Don't go on hearsay or such nonsense would be my only pearl of wisdom. Leads to narrowmindedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

In my opinion UCC has the best accessibility as far as Arts is concerned. They provide a wide range of subjects and modules with a lot more of a focused approach when one decides to further in their specific subjects.

UL is appalling or so I've been told by everybody doing a degree there. The standard and methods of teaching are prehistoric. (Not my words but a student who suffered through the course).

NUIG is probably the second best in my opinion based on what the college actually puts out there in terms of post graduates they are top notch. I don't know much about their methods or course content but I wouldn't be afraid to say it isn't too dissimilar to UCC.

Trinity...the amount of people I know who have dropped out of Trinity (not for difficulty but for sheer immovability) is ridiculous. It's apparently very strict and the arts have been long under appreciated there according to many. Unfortunately Ireland's most prestigious college (at least in name) has lost much of its history for producing academics. That's not to say that they don't but albeit they're provided from different courses such as Dentists and what not

After everything you must understand no matter where you go you will finish your degree and have a Ba. No matter where you go you will finish in the same place, whether you have been taught close to home or at the other end of the country.

Choose your college for subjects. Not points, not friends, not anything other than your interest. Wasting time following other people will only hinder you.

Advertisement