Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stay in New Zealand

Options
  • 28-11-2010 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Right, I've come over to New Zealand on a WHV, I've been here about two months now and been working on a dairy farm. I'm working for my third cousin and her husband and really enjoying it. From what I know my whv only allows me to work for one person for 6 months. If I wanted to continue to work for the same person and they are happy for me to work for them how do I go about it. Is the next step sponsorship, not that I know what that is! Just something I have heard people mention! I haven't a clue on the first place I should be looking or who I should be talking to so any advice is appreciated.

Many thanks
    Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

My whv allowed me to work for 12 months with the same employer. Maybe it's changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

When I was on my WHV (2005) you were restricted in the months you could work for one person (3 maybe? Can't remember) but it was never enforced. The kiwis were a bit more laid back than the Aussies were.

Not very helpful though, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Glad to hear that about the laid backness to the working period. The only thing is I don't want to screw up my chances of staying and also to get my employer in trouble....

Anyone else know anything?? Can you change your visa type? Don't even know who to talk to about it here....

Thanks
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Immigration NZ:
    Auckland, New Zealand - 09 914 4100
    New Zealand, but not Auckland - 0508 558 855

Contact Immigration directly, they should be able to inform you of your options, and clear up the question of whether or not you can stay in one job for more than 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

It's no problem here in NZ. I've been with the same employer for 7 months now and have checked it out with agencies and labour dept. Australia is alot stricter on the conditions of the WHV. Enjoy the rest of your time here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Tracybal

Hi

I was in New Zealand last year and was told could work for one employer for the year if I wanted. I worked in a company for 7 and half months and had no problems, was asked if I could work for full year with them, but I left to do some travelling before heading home, and also I had friend who worked for 10 months with one employer in Christchurch.

Hope this helps, but just check immigration in case it has changed in d past year. I know New Zealand immigration are not as strict as Oz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There is not restriction on length of time working for the same employer in NZ as far as I know. 12 months is the length of the WHV so that is how long you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

*post in wrong thread*

Advertisement