Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 2.2 iPad Alternatives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Doesn't Android need a hardware back button.

I think it'll be next year before we see any credible alternatives to the iPad. The Android OS (and apps) just aren't designed for tablets right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Is Gingerbread meant to be designed/suitable for tablets?

Thanks OP, that first tablet looks really good for the price! So tempted to buy it.. Let us know how you get on with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

p wrote: »
    Doesn't Android need a hardware back button.

I think it'll be next year before we see any credible alternatives to the iPad. The Android OS (and apps) just aren't designed for tablets right now.

Gingerbread will be out soon (December) and will be optimised for tablets, archos and Samsung have excellent tablets soon to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Im aware china cheap stuff i had very bad feelings about that.Mean one time use hardware.

• Advertisement

The Samsung Galaxy Tab looks good!

draffodx wrote: »
    Gingerbread will be out soon (December) and will be optimised for tablets, archos and Samsung have excellent tablets soon to be released.
    Has that been confirmed? Last time I checked there was no confirmation that Gingerbread would be targeting tablets.

Has that been confirmed? Last time I checked there was no confirmation that Gingerbread would be targeting tablets.

Not officially but very strong rumours that Gingerbreads focus will be tablet optimised. I would be very surprised if its not.

Samsung advertise the Tab as coming with Gingerbread by the way.

Gingerbread came out today, not aimed at tablets. It'll be Android 3.0 which looks like it'll be out in feb.

Gingerbread came out today, not aimed at tablets. It'll be Android 3.0 which looks like it'll be out in feb.

Nothing mentioned about tablets but in the SDK download there are additional packages for developers that want to develop for the Galaxy Tab.

HoneyComb will include device recognition so that an app will know if it's on a phone or a tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

i think the archos tablets are a good rival to the ipad. Run android too.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_7/index.html?country=us&lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rathcop

steve_ wrote: »
    i think the archos tablets are a good rival to the ipad. Run android too.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_7/index.html?country=us&lang=en

They SHOULD be but archos are poor on support

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

hey stonebridges which one did you get? how did it work out for you, whats the battery life like?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

dont buy one yet, theres a motorola one due out with an optimised tablet version of android. Backed by google, whereas the galaxy tab jumped the gun and although a nice device is effectively just a big phone. So basically just wait

Advertisement