Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road gritting salting/who's responsible?

Options
  • 28-11-2010 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

My road out of my estate is layered in snow and ice and probably will be for the next week or two.

Is the county council supposed to grit and salt or who does this? Ive salted my own path and driveway and broke down the ice but no way can I do the whole road out of the estate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

My road out of my estate is layered in snow and ice and probably will be for the next week or two.

Is the county council supposed to grit and salt or who does this? Ive salted my own path and driveway and broke down the ice but no way can I do the whole road out of the estate!

if its an estate that has been taken over by the council it most likely would come under their remit, if its not and as such is a private estate then its the responsibility fo the residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

Its a complete joke im in mayo too, house bound already and i have not seen one single truck out gritting the main roads, the excuse last year was that they were not prepared for it, so whats the excuse this year. whilst out driving on friday evening I could barley see 3 foot in front of me and if i did more than 30mph my car would start to lose control, I could not beleave the amount of ignorant pricks who would drive up my behind over take and beep have they no brains whatsoever I drove from mayo to galway I saw atleast 4 cars skid and one crash why cant people get it through their thick skulls its better to get there safe then not at all, who cares if your journey takes an extra hour out of your life imagine how you would feel if you killed someone,also truck drivers just because trucks have better road holding does not give you the power to be driving like lunatics in this weather use your brain a car with a family could easily lose control and go straight into you EVERYONE JUST SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Don't hold your breath for Mayo Co. Co. Last year on the first proper day of snow I was travelling from Sligo to Galway.
    In Sligo the gritters were out from the word go and all was well on the outset of my journey. The craic started the minute I crossed from Bellaghy to Charlestown. Sideways around the diamond (in a fwd car, safe!) Crawled the entire way through Mayo and still managed to spin off the road just after the airport. Thankfully I was going so slow that I didn't do any damage and managed to get back on track without much difficulty.
    Once I got out of Ballindine it was clear to see that Galway Co. Co. had been hard at it so panic was over, for me anyway.
    I was surprised that the lads in Mayo weren't out at the first sign of a snowflake- it was a Sunday, double time, cha ching lads!
    Very bad show, surprised nobody was hurt that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Funny enough it just passed my house in Crossmolina. Sort of, horse, barn door - bolted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Dont I know it. I went out thursday on the main road in town at 10am and the gritters were only starting. Needless to say my car skidded sideways in two way traffic, the road littered with cars pulled over and with hazard lights on. I had to pull the car into a side road and leave it there until the early afternoon.

• Advertisement

Don't hold your breath for Mayo Co. Co. Last year on the first proper day of snow I was travelling from Sligo to Galway.
    In Sligo the gritters were out from the word go and all was well on the outset of my journey. The craic started the minute I crossed from Bellaghy to Charlestown. Sideways around the diamond (in a fwd car, safe!) Crawled the entire way through Mayo and still managed to spin off the road just after the airport. Thankfully I was going so slow that I didn't do any damage and managed to get back on track without much difficulty.
    Once I got out of Ballindine it was clear to see that Galway Co. Co. had been hard at it so panic was over, for me anyway.
    I was surprised that the lads in Mayo weren't out at the first sign of a snowflake- it was a Sunday, double time, cha ching lads!
    Very bad show, surprised nobody was hurt that night.

Amazing thing is two weeks ago on my way to work, seven degrees in the car and raining I met the gritter, why I have never figured out. Drove from Crossmolina to Castlebar for work this morning and glaringly obvious no roads had been gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the gritters is broke down the one that does achill anyway. get on to your loacl county councillor and kick up some fuss. if the councillors were not taking huge expenses we might have trucks that work.

here is the links to maps of the roads supposed to be gritted.

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/News/WinterDrivingInfo/

just drove from achill to castlebar earlier at no faster the crawling pace and road has not been gritted.

what does our car tax pay for?

why dont they provide salt at the entrance of each estate for use on the roads of the estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

irishgeo wrote: »
    t

just drove from achill to castlebar earlier at no faster the crawling pace and road has not been gritted.

Jesus, you did well to make it! The amount of people that said they abandoned ship going up the two hills today. Folks barely made it to Teds for the papers.

Ya could almost predict the gritter breaking down :rolleyes:. They probably cant afford the diesel for it :D

Schools are closed tomorrow so they must be expecting the roads to be pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

M7 Christmas night was simply not gritted.
    Nothing at all to do with Salt stocks.
    They just simply did not get out and do it.
    Cork City that night and following day was a similar joke and disaster zone

But then Cork City Council are a joke anyway.
    where's those new walls lads? That collapsed a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

Drove from one side of Galway County to the other side today and through the city and didn't see any sign of gritting on the roads and no pick ups. Nearly skidded a few times. Not good for a newly licensed driver :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Typical ireland

I've written an email to the mayo co co about it and I will call them in a bit. It is so dangerous, there's a creche and a school near by and kids walk to school on these same roads that cars are spinning and straying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

My estate is the same and also the road into it which is not a private road as there are number of estates leading of it. Last year I ended up falling on and damaging my back really badly and have been told that it could take a year or two to rectify itself as oppose to have an op on it. Now if the Co.Co had gritted the road I wouldn't have fallen. So this year I'll be sitting in until the ice/snow passes.

shoes34 wrote: »
    My estate is the same and also the road into it which is not a private road as there are number of estates leading of it. Last year I ended up falling on and damaging my back really badly and have been told that it could take a year or two to rectify itself as oppose to have an op on it. Now if the Co.Co had gritted the road I wouldn't have fallen. So this year I'll be sitting in until the ice/snow passes.

If its a local road they don't grit them, they grit National and Regional routes as they carry the largest volumes of traffic and it would be impossible for them to grit the entire road network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If it's a private estate the management company should sort it

In our place, they have a lad with a car trailer and a shovel and he grits it first thing in the morning and last thing at night
    Does the job

In fact, if you were an entrepreneur, you could make a bit of money by touting your services to management companies.
    A car, trailer, grit, shovel and some warm clothes is all you need :)

If it's a private estate the management company should sort it

In our place, they have a lad with a car trailer and a shovel and he grits it first thing in the morning and last thing at night
    Does the job

In fact, if you were an entrepreneur, you could make a bit of money by touting your services to management companies.
    A car, trailer, grit, shovel and some warm clothes is all you need :)

Its a private estate but it goes on to busy public road, but this road leads on to the main road which is always gritted. wow would love if some of the guys in the estate did that, not using the sexist card here but being a girl and after damaging my back last year I don't think I could grit it but I am going to get a bag of salt/grit just for my own driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

If you live in an estate best thing is to do a collection and buy your own salt. You could be waiting years before the C.C. does anything.

Last year myself and a neighbor were the only ones to buy salt. We as well as two other FOREIGN women were out and gritted and salted the road ourselves with the salt myself and the neighbor had and ash from the fireplace. Not ONE man was out there helping. Not one Irish person was out there helping either.

I cant do it again this year I have a very bad knee.

Last year myself and a neighbor were the only ones to buy salt. We as well as two other FOREIGN women were out and gritted and salted the road ourselves with the salt myself and the neighbor had and ash from the fireplace. Not ONE man was out there helping. Not one Irish person was out there helping either.

I cant do it again this year I have a very bad knee.

Fair play to you and your neighbour. Cannot believe no one went out to help you guys. If the community won't bother to help why should you help them. Wonkers...

Not one Irish person was out there helping either.

I was out on Saturday clearing my stretch of road and our older lady neighbour. Funny thing was, more were out Sunday. I think they heard my spade scraping on the pavement. Damit... im English born. :)

• Advertisement

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I was out on Saturday clearing my stretch of road and our older lady neighbour. Funny thing was, more were out Sunday. I think they heard my spade scraping on the pavement. Damit... im English born. :)

Also though, they might've been doing it on Sunday because of work on Monday. Fair play to you though.

nisior wrote: »
    Also though, they might've been doing it on Sunday because of work on Monday. Fair play to you though.

Having lived in Canada it what you're expected to do. I dont mind anyway... bit of exercise before Guinness lunch :D

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Having lived in Canada it what you're expected to do. I dont mind anyway... bit of exercise before Guinness lunch :D

Unfortunately in modern Ireland its always someone elses job to do the things you could do yourself. However, the extra time they have gives them ample scope to whinge about how no one is doing it.

Unfortunately in modern Ireland its always someone elses job to do the things you could do yourself. However, the extra time they have gives them ample scope to whinge about how no one is doing it.

Totally!! Me and my Dad were out today gritting the main road infront of our house and one of our neighbours from up the road walked down to us just to tell us that the council should do it. When he was walking home he slipped in his own driveway :P Of course we went to see if he was ok. Tóin tinn!!!!

Totally!! Me and my Dad were out today gritting the main road infront of our house and one of our neighbours from up the road walked down to us just to tell us that the council should do it. When he was walking home he slipped in his own driveway :P Of course we went to see if he was ok. Tóin tinn!!!!

Be honest, ya laughed didn't ya :D:D

bet he wishes he cleared his own driveway as the council aren't going to do that for him.

Just purchased a bag of salt/grit and sprinkled it on my driveway and its great - €5.99 for a big bag which should last for a while but just might get a second one to be on the safe side.

Just to shame all the useless lumps in this country who couldn't be bothered doing something for themselves when it comes to snow and ice ( GO TO PICTURE 7 )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11887140

Be honest, ya laughed didn't ya :D:D
    When he couldn't see me ;)
    shoes34 wrote: »
    bet he wishes he cleared his own driveway as the council aren't going to do that for him.

Just purchased a bag of salt/grit and sprinkled it on my driveway and its great - €5.99 for a big bag which should last for a while but just might get a second one to be on the safe side.

Some people are just too lazy. We went around to a few of the local elderly people to see if they were ok for everything and some of them said no one had come to see them. We started fires for them and whatever. I'd hate to think when I'm in my 80s no one will bother to check if I'm still alive in this weather.

Some people are just too lazy. We went around to a few of the local elderly people to see if they were ok for everything and some of them said no one had come to see them. We started fires for them and whatever. I'd hate to think when I'm in my 80s no one will bother to check if I'm still alive in this weather.

Good God, you're starting to make me feel worthless, you're just too nice!!

• Advertisement

My great uncle down in Cork who is 80 was giving out to me on the phone about people stopping in to check on him. He said he had to leave the house to get some peace and quiet!:pac:

But I think its great that you are doing that.

Advertisement