Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the grit/salt supplys like this year?

Options
  • 28-11-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Just wondering after last years salt/grit shortfall, How are we fixed this year? From what i noticed yesterday barely any roads were treated yesterday around here, Infact not even the main road was?

Im not moving today from infront of the fire/TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

We should have ample. The NRA purchased a bulk amount preseason. The county councils are no longer the ones that purchase it - NRA will dish it out to them as is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Em, I wonder if the country areas will suffer then? Ive heard that swinford area is very bad the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Went up to carrickmines yesterday & was very clear nothing gritted up there - like a skating rink, slid around the roundabouts - Is it anything to do with fact its the weekend & with overtime payments may be just a skeleton crew? I live on a main route - but its a slip road off the motorway. As ist not a " Main Road" it doesnt get gritted despite on of the busiest roads in the area. January De je vous where it was impassible for a week......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

30% more than last year they said on the 9 news last night. But realyy only national roads and motorways will get treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

They may have more in depots but they are clearly NOT spreading it !Maynooth a joke...literally a skating rink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

ytareh wrote: »
    They may have more in depots but they are clearly NOT spreading it !Maynooth a joke...literally a skating rink

Thanks. You've convinced me to stay up north today, was going to head back but will hold off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes stay inside if you dont need to go out. Already had a phonecall from a friend asking to help to pull a van out of a ditch.

Today consists of Sitting by the fire, Pot of tea, Soccer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I passed no less than 4 gritters last night between the n4 and tallaght, the grit doesnt seem much use once the snow comes down though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Inadequate salt content?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Salt only thaws effectively to about -2 or -3 degrees ...below that you're on your own.

When it's going to get real cold, the snowy slush should be ploughed off the surface before it freezes because otherwise the salt will just freeze with it.

Problem is ...there aren't that many ploughs and a light dusting is very difficult to scrape off (but still enough to turn roads into skating rinks) and once it is frozen even the plough won't get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

NRA recently advertised to build storage depots at various locations around the country. Due to the snails pace of the tendering process it is highly likely that these stores are not yet built so the NRA are relying on the useless council stores yet again.

If there is no thaw today or tonight (highly unlikely) the work commute tomorrow will be treacherous and will put hours on to peoples journeys.

As I type the kids are out the front having great fun and want it to last forever.

They've had it twice in one year and are starting to believe that snow in winter is the norm in Ireland !!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nothing gritted where I am in North Tipp, and there is plenty of snow on the roads which is not being compacted and freezing. I wouldnt drive in it.

Whats the use having the salt in stores and not out on the road when its needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Went up to carrickmines yesterday & was very clear nothing gritted up there - like a skating rink, slid around the roundabouts - Is it anything to do with fact its the weekend & with overtime payments may be just a skeleton crew? I live on a main route - but its a slip road off the motorway. As ist not a " Main Road" it doesnt get gritted despite on of the busiest roads in the area. January De je vous where it was impassible for a week......

It's gritted and snow-ploughed around here now. I haven't seen a snow-plough in 25 years!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

N7 from Dublin to Newbridge is in Perfect nick , only 2 lanes till about J3 , but after that she is perfect all the way to Newbridge , Top job when you take the conditions into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Not much gritting in West Rscommon-East Mayo area. Cars getting stuck all over the place yesterday evening. They finally gritted the national secondary road around midnight but once they had it done and they turned off to a R road to go back towards Castlerea, they turned the gritter off again. Seems like they don't have alot really and are using it sparingly. Was rather pointless anyway because it got so cold after they gritted it that all the slush was frozen solid again this morning.

Advertisement