Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapping on the glass??

Options
  • 28-11-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

My wife is 17 weeks preggers and can feel it move, but it can't be felt from the outside yet.

Is tapping on the belly similar to in a pet shop where you're not supposed to tap on the window because it's much louder on the inside? Can it even hear yet and should I stop when it can??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

No idea, but it makes me laugh to think about it. You sound like you need a pregnancy book. Your baby can hear fine, i think from about 12 wks maybe even earlier. If you are uncomfortable tapping, try talking or singing. My lo goes nuts during xfactor much to oh's disgust.
    Here is a good starting point http://www.eumom.ie/17-weeks-pregnant.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I don't think tapping on the belleh will upset the baba in any way... might not be the most pleasant way to bond with your baby tho!

Your baby is in a nice big sack of fluid. Stick your head under water in the bath and listen to the noises around you and that will be on par with what your baby can hear only more muffled by muscle and fat and skin and the swooshing of the maternal pulse and the gargling of maternal bowel sounds :) Sounds nice eh??

You'll feel the kicks soon enough. Its never too early to start talking to your baby. You may find that your wife will start to feel kicks in response to your voice, and in a few more weeks you'll be feeling those kicks too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/landing.aspx

Gives you an idea of the stages of development.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Tapping is fine! I doubt it would elicit any reaction from the baby though. Baby's hearing is developing about now, you could try talking to him/her while resting your hands on the belly. I know my lad loved to hear his Daddy's voice.

In the latter stages you'll be able to pat the little head or bum and maybe "tickle" the little feet.

Advertisement