Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled - Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175) Question

Options
  • 28-11-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hey guys just a few questions, I was thinking of applying for this Visa to try get into a Australian Graduate Program. This is my points I got. 120 is the pass rate.

points.jpg

Just wondering if I am doing this right, I got 180 because of the following..

Electrician
    Electricial Services Engineer
    Electricial & Electronic Engineer

Can u lads just check over and make sure I am doing this rite. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

max points is 60 for an occupation to apply for a GSM, so looking at that you only have 110

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

mandrake04 wrote: »
    max points is 60 for an occupation to apply for a GSM, so looking at that you only have 105

Grand so all I have to do is do the english test and I can get to 120. Why is it limited to 60 btw ?

50139712.jpg

because thats the max for any one occupation 60 points, you are thinking you can combine 3 different occupations but you can only use your most recent work experience. So you have to apply in your current/last occupation.

Did you read the notes on Recent Work Experience or Australian Study Requirement?

Recent work experience requirement

To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must demonstrate that you have been employed:

in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
    for at least 20 hours a week
    in a paid position
    for at least 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application.

Note: If you are nominating a specified trade occupation, your recent work experience must be in your nominated occupation. Other work experience in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) will not be considered.

You are going have to do the English test

because thats the max for any one occupation 60 points, you are thinking you can combine 3 different occupations but you can only use your most recent work experience. So you have to apply in your current/last occupation.

Did you read the notes on Recent Work Experience or Australian Study Requirement?

Recent work experience requirement

To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must demonstrate that you have been employed:

in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
    for at least 20 hours a week
    in a paid position
    for at least 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application.

Note: If you are nominating a specified trade occupation, your recent work experience must be in your nominated occupation. Other work experience in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) will not be considered.

You are going have to do the English test

Yes I did thats why I put 0 down because I wouldnt have sparked in 4 years due to the recession (2008) by the time i apply. I will be applying in 2013 so this is only me getting my stuff together so I know what I need to do.

Hopefully the requirements wont have gone up by then. Actually just reading the above bolded txt will the fact I went into higher education count against me ?

Nuravictus wrote: »
    Yes I did thats why I put 0 down because I wouldnt have sparked in 4 years due to the recession (2008) by the time i apply.

You are aware that you require to meet the eligibility to tick Recent work experience requirement (on line 5 of that table) which is different than Specific Work experience (line 10 of the table) which is only optional.
    I will be applying in 2013 so this is only me getting my stuff together so I know what I need to do.

Well in that case you are wasting your time.

There is a new points test starting next July, you would be looking at the new points test.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-testfaq.pdf

• Advertisement

You are aware that you require to meet the eligibility to tick Recent work experience requirement (on line 5 of that table) which is different than Specific Work experience (line 10 of the table) which is only optional.

There is a new points test starting next July, you would be looking at the new points test.

Thanks very much for all the help btw, do u think I am applying for the right visa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes I did thats why I put 0 down because I wouldnt have sparked in 4 years due to the recession (2008) by the time i apply. I will be applying in 2013 so this is only me getting my stuff together so I know what I need to do.

Hopefully the requirements wont have gone up by then. Actually just reading the above bolded txt will the fact I went into higher education count against me ?

I wouldn't research 3 years in advance on this, it could change yet again, so who knows what position you'll be in then

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have a 175 questino or two, might as well post here rather than start a new year. (Mods feel free to move to new thread)

I'm looking towards next year and my next visa, 457 is one option, and prob the main option based on cost but i'm also looking at 175 should I need to.

The basis of issue stems from the fact that my degree is for an ocupation that isn't common in Australia (Architectural Technologist). It is basically between two existing SOL jobs, Architect and Architectural Associate (which is only 40 points and relates to a drop in "skill" imo). There are a few other that would be close-ish.

If I put down architect, I meet the 120+ points.
    If I put down 40, I only get 110 or so. The problem is the 20 less points for the occupation as well as less points for sectinos like work expierence.
    For most occupations where training is specific to the occupation
    60 points
    In most cases you will have a qualification (such as a degree or trade qualification) and experience which meets the relevant Australian standards. In some cases, experience without formal qualifications may be acceptable.

For more general professional occupations
    50 points
    You must have a qualification equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree or higher qualification.

For other general skilled occupations
    40 Points
    You must have a qualification equivalent to an Australian diploma or advanced diploma.
    I have a bachelor degree and its specific to the occupation, so its should really 60 (50 at least) if it was included. So I think you can understand me being frustrated. To be clear, its no that it isn't in demand, its not a occupation title widely used in industry. In my current position, my job title is architect. I just not sure if I'd qualify under the skills assessment as its not the course title.

So i was wondering if anybody knew of anyone from a similar background who went through with a 175 visa. Would be a big help.

Even more annoyingly, under the new system, I meet the likely requirements. But seeign as it comes into force in June, and my WHV is up in April its falling just short.

Well you don't get a bridging visa on a 175, your best bet is go for 457 before April and 175 after July. At least the 457 will keep you in the country.

you don't get a bridging visa on 175. Didn't know that. Assumed PR was good enough to get one. I was plannign on a holiday home anyway around then but mights payement awkward.
    Looks my I don't hav a back up plan and its all on the 457, unless there are other options (fire out any ideas :D)

• Advertisement

Could be a long holiday, if you waited and apply in July 2011 it could be mid 2012 before your back.

Option 1. 457
    Option 2 ENS
    Option 3. Marry a Skip

Ah, ENS counts towards a bridging visa, that's what I was thinking of. Heads not back on right after the weekend. forgot to mention ENS in OP.
    Plan is to see about 457, which I'm confident about, then ENS then 175 as a last resort.
    Ok, so officially back on square one again.

This visa melarky is tricky enough don't assume anything.

God, know, which is why i'm sorting out options with a few months to go

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

I've just been having a look now at the new points test effective 1 July, 2011, and from reading both linked docs above it appears one of the changes proposed is to do with the Recent Work Experience requirement, whereby the applicant HAD to have 12 months experience in his/her field of work within the previous 24 in order to qualify.

My question is: has this requirement now been scrapped ie can you apply if you don't have 12 months experience with the past 24 but still have the 65 points?

And also, what is 'Professional Year' about in page2 of the pointstest sheet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 maradonna7

Mellor wrote: »
    The basis of issue stems from the fact that my degree is for an ocupation that isn't common in Australia (Architectural Technologist). It is basically between two existing SOL jobs, Architect and Architectural Associate (which is only 40 points and relates to a drop in "skill" imo). There are a few other that would be close-ish.

If I put down architect, I meet the 120+ points.
    If I put down 40, I only get 110 or so. The problem is the 20 less points for the occupation as well as less points for sectinos like work expierence.

I have a bachelor degree and its specific to the occupation, so its should really 60 (50 at least) if it was included. So I think you can understand me being frustrated. To be clear, its no that it isn't in demand, its not a occupation title widely used in industry. In my current position, my job title is architect. I just not sure if I'd qualify under the skills assessment as its not the course title.

Hey Mellor, I understand your frustration but its worth noting that although your job title may be Architect you must be aware that you are not legally entitled to refer to yourself as an 'Architect' in this country given that you are a technoligist and not a fully fledged Architect in the eyes of the RIAI,

I'm not sure what an Architectural associate is but it would be worth looking at how it compares with the qualification you have, the fact that there are two listed by the Department of immigration and that one has less points would infer that they are looking for the former more than the latter and that the Architectural associate is the lesser of the two qualifications, imo this is unfortunately the category you fall into

maradonna7 wrote: »
    Hey Mellor, I understand your frustration but its worth noting that although your job title may be Architect you must be aware that you are not legally entitled to refer to yourself as an 'Architect' in this country given that you are a technoligist and not a fully fledged Architect in the eyes of the RIAI,

I'm not sure what an Architectural associate is but it would be worth looking at how it compares with the qualification you have, the fact that there are two listed by the Department of immigration and that one has less points would infer that they are looking for the former more than the latter and that the Architectural associate is the lesser of the two qualifications, imo this is unfortunately the category you fall into
    Thanks for the concern but, firstly the RIAI has no bearing in Australia, their is an equal but the job title on a visa is not linked to professional registration, i am fully entitled to in under architect for 457 for example, also as I'm not self employed the restriction on use of title doesn't apply to me - my boss offers services as an architect not I.

and i mentioned arch associate and the points are an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

got an email from my agent yesterday sayin that they have changed and increased costs on the visa application process......apparently u now have pass the questioneer on this site before u proceed www.tradeset.com.au/ ......awiting more info from my agent.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alfie08

Mellor wrote: »
    Thanks for the concern but, firstly the RIAI has no bearing in Australia, their is an equal but the job title on a visa is not linked to professional registration, i am fully entitled to in under architect for 457 for example, also as I'm not self employed the restriction on use of title doesn't apply to me - my boss offers services as an architect not I.

and i mentioned arch associate and the points are an issue

Hi Mellor,
    i am a recent graduate of architectural technology in ireland also and share ur frustration, have u since made any in-roads in terms of visa entitlements or are we still not deemed architects in terms of the visa assessment for australia? i see now that arch associate is no longer listed and that there is a new points test coming into force in July whereby u still have to nominate an occupation from the SOL although the points system is changed somewhat.

I have contacted the CIAT about the matter as i heard that they had lobbied to get AT listed next to architect on the SOL but i havent heard anything back as of yet and AT certainly isnt listed next to architect yet. i am thinking of applying under the title of architect anyway as i feel i have the skillset to pass the req'ments laid out by ANZSCO.

Any help or advice much appreciated!!!

Advertisement