Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Report!

Options
  • 28-11-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

I've done a search and found nothing, so I'm just starting a road report thread for the Sligo region. I think it might be helpful to warn of dangerous routes and roads to avoid ect. If your driving toward Tubbercurry along the N17 from Sligo, you pass Connaught Gold on your right, the next left is for Achonry - Don't take it. Because if you do, you will come to a sharp left-hand turn, turning onto a long steep winding hill.....AVOID!!!! It's a notorious spot.

For the first time after 3.5 years, the hill beat me last night. Now it didn't help being the first car on it after the blizzard, maybe I was to cocky after beating the best it had thrown at me last year. I was one of the few plus some local farmers that took it on last winter. Being stuck on the apex of a hill and sliding backwards down it was not a nice feeling. Thanks to the neighbour who came along when I was stuck and thank feck he was in a 'beefy' Nissan Navara to tow me to freedom.

There are also some bad hills if you also approach Achonry from the Bunninadden direction so avoid completely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks for starting this thread.
    If anyone else has any warnings please let us know.
    I'm not driving in it today. Had a walk out and under the snow is pure ice, so be careful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

There is a very steep hill near Heapstown and the Gyreum hostel, which is on the road between Castlebaldwin and Drummacool/Conway's Cross. One to avoid!

Please drive slowly and with care. I know it seems an obvious thing to say, but my house is located on a series of very bad bends and cars are taking the bends far too fast. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Anyone driving in town? My estate is bad (always thaws last in here), but not sure if it's clearing in town?

Wonder will the schools be open tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Went as far as Dunnes (Cranmore) and the Retail Park.

The car park in the Retail Park is pretty bad.. it's just slush on top of slush on top of slush, but very slippy in parts.

My estate is always terrible with snow due to the steep hill leading into it.. and it's even more difficult to get out of it in this weather.

Weather Report from Ollie Williams:

300px-Olliewilliams.gif

IT'S GON' SNOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Round Rosses Point and the back roads at Cregg is pretty slippy.

Best stay inside today I think >_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i know its not roads but could people try not get water on the footpath when there defrosting their car its lethal especially at the top of Churchill.

i know its not roads but could people try not get water on the footpath when there defrosting their car its lethal especially at the top of Churchill.

I heard a fella on the radio last year saying he pours urine all over his car to defrost it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have been on AA roadwatch this evening, some bad conditions on the budoran rd between the leitrim/sligo boarder and sligo town.

number of things crazy about this, especailly with warm water, it will freeze quicker on the pavements, expect plenty of slips in estates and cul de sacs. Its also likely to refreeze on your windows and if any chips on your window, could cause them to crack or break

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Never had a problem using warm water, much better than wasting time scraping it off.

I've tried and tested numerous solutions.. each have their pros and cons.

For what it's worth:

- a de-icer is a waste of time with weather like this
    - if you wanna use an ice scraper, get a rubber scraper (unless you wanna scratch and mark your windscreen with a plastic one)
    - a kettle with a quarter boiling water, and 3/4 cold water is your best bet. You want it just warm enough.. not hot.

I'm trying a frost-guard tonight.. not expecting much but we'll see how it goes tomorrow:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

Thanks for the updates guys! any update on the N15 bundoran to Sligo road tonight?? will be travelling on it early tomorrow morning bit worried bout what the roads are like around Grange and Rathcormac??

Well, the frostguard worked well for the most part.

The hill leading out of my estate was an absolute disaster however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

If your lighting fires use the ashes on your drive its makes great grit,

The n17 as far as Ballymote from town is sound, as is the Ballisodare area main road. N17 into Ballymote is very passable and not that bad, all side roads are not treated and are not great. The road from Ballymote to Tubber was a disaster on Sat night I have been told its pretty bad since.

The main problem I have is people driving way to slow into hills and causing everyone else to stop.

Now my worst problem with all this is when driving behind a truck, the window gets dirty trying my best to hold off on checking to see if the washer has defrosted yet its like an itch you cannot scratch :p

bennyc wrote: »
    If your lighting fires use the ashes on your drive its makes great grit,
    Yeah.. that's what people did last year, but no-one thought last night that it would be that bad this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My stretch from Achonry to Bunninadden is still very bad, a lot more traffic moving on it today which will help. Working from home today (really waiting for fuel delivery) Council passed by on a tractor an hour ago trying to grit the road, but the stupid thing was malfunctioning - fecking typical! Proceed this direction with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

basquille wrote: »
    Went as far as Dunnes (Cranmore) and the Retail Park.

The car park in the Retail Park is pretty bad.. it's just slush on top of slush on top of slush, but very slippy in parts.

My estate is always terrible with snow due to the steep hill leading into it.. and it's even more difficult to get out of it in this weather.

Weather Report from Ollie Williams:

300px-Olliewilliams.gif

IT'S GON' SNOW!

You should move to Kevinsfort,the gritter spent the guts of half an hour in there today:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Any buzz on the buses from sligo to galway?! are they running at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Any buzz on the buses from sligo to galway?! are they running at all?

Was defo working yesterday as a friend of mine got to Galway after Saturday nights service was cancelled

Best thing is to ring the station

All national services running, ie intercity, but expect delays. Would check the station for local services, not all seconary roads treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I know people are taking it easy on the roads & trying to keep safe... but for God's sake... if there is no traffic in front of you & you look at the speedometer and you're doing 20mph on a straight stretch of a 60mph road & you look in the rear mirror & see a line of 30 cars behind you.... would you not think it would be slightly courteous to pull over in to the hard shoulder & let people pass?

• Advertisement

Not trusting the AA site as much, cited Barnmore Gap in Donegal as unpassable yesterday morning, I know at least two who went through it in the early hours. Cited as passable with care today, didn't find it to bad my self, was driving abit slower than normal but was quite clear bar slush on the hard shoulder and on the central line in places. Still a good guide which I will continue to use though over the winter. Another recomendation, dont usally listen to local radio, but an excellent resource in this weather.

Some dusting and slush in places from the Letirm/Sligo boarder and as far as Sligo Town this afternoon. Be carefull now though, that dusting is now ice in some of the side roads and estates around the town. There was a film of ice on my car a couple of hours ago.
    I know people are taking it easy on the roads & trying to keep safe... but for God's sake... if there is no traffic in front of you & you look at the speedometer and you're doing 20mph on a straight stretch of a 60mph road & you look in the rear mirror & see a line of 30 cars behind you.... would you not think it would be slightly courteous to pull over in to the hard shoulder & let people pass?

Agree and disagree, was driving a bit slower today, certainly not that slow though, usally would pull over if safe but not today, was not pulling over into slush for anyone, bar the emergancy services.

But yes, if its safe, either HTFU or pull over if shoulder is clear.

Fair play though to the drivers who moved out of the overtaking lane today, absolutly hate it when you get stuck behind someone crawling when there was no need to, and you think to your self, I'll over take them when I get as far as the over taking lane in a 1km or so, only for them to stay in the over taking lane still crawling.

It's not the first driver you should blame, it's the second that is stopping over-taking. Anyway, I couldn't care less how late anyone is, I'll drive in what I consider a safe manner. If someone's tail-gating me and I have no safe opportunity to pull in, I'll just wreck your head by tipping my brake now and then. Back the F*ck off and we'll all get there alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

bennyc wrote: »
    The main problem I have is people driving way to slow into hills and causing everyone else to stop.

This is sooo true....esp when the first car is only doing 25km incl braking & going up a hill with 10 cars behind them.....

============
    Bronson
    Irish Celica Club Member

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Well the council have come to the rescue and put a few teaspoons full of gravel (not salt) on our lane. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Their rapid response tractor was out yesterday and gritted bits of the road at the end of my road, but didn't come up my road at all! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

i do think the councils response is better than last january,they cannot get to every road that would be impossiable,we can give out all day long but i think we will have to adapt to this type of weather,after all other countrys get this all winter and they just get on with things.

Lidl Dishwasher Salt is amazing stuff. Chuck it on paths/drives and it sizzles through the ice. 99c a pack.

(Don't buy it ALL, I need more!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

genie wrote: »
    Their rapid response tractor. :rolleyes:

Rapid response tractor - LOL :D

In fairness though they gritted my road a couple of times, as long as they keep it up when needed for the rest of the winter.

The Rapid Response Tractor made it to the entrance to my road, it did everywhere else, but looked at my road and thought "Nah".

It's a small cul-de-sac, how hard would it have been to FINISH THE JOB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The Rapid Response Tractor made it to the entrance to my road, it did everywhere else, but looked at my road and thought "Nah".

It's a small cul-de-sac, how hard would it have been to FINISH THE JOB.
    is it a private road into the cul-de-sac?

Advertisement