Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Report!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

is it a private road into the cul-de-sac?

No, very much Corpo' territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

The Rapid Response Tractor made it to the entrance to my road, it did everywhere else, but looked at my road and thought "Nah".

My road runs between two hills and gets very little sun during the winter so, I thought they could have spared a few shovel-fulls. :rolleyes:

I've also noticed in a couple of other places, that a trailer-full of gravel has been left on the roadside for the residents to scatter themselves. Nowhere near me, though. :(

I scatter the ashes from the stove on the road outside my house but I seem to be the only person who does this. :)

It would be great if they'd just leave piles of it that we could shovel ourselves.

In London there's little bunkers around with salt and grit and you can help yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It would be great if they'd just leave piles of it that we could shovel ourselves.

In London there's little bunkers around with salt and grit and you can help yourself.

They wont do that for health and saftey, they got rid of the bunkers in london years ago for similar reasons as well I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They have left some grit (gravel) up our lane. It's rubbish though.
    When I was on the Sligo-Dublin train I saw some streets in Dublin that had containers of road salt left for the residents to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

About 3 inches of snow fell out my way last night, so the roads are bad again because the old grit is now useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

Hi
    does anyone know what condition this road is in?
    May have to travel on it this weekend and would appreciate if anyone can give me an update?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    Went to Enniskillen yesterday roads good. bad corners well gritted. The slowest part I found was around Glenfarne, slow but fairly good.

Drive safely should be ok. Give yourself an extra 20 mins for safety

North West

Will depend on the snowfall in the area last night, a couple of inches of snow will render the grit useless.

Drive carefully out there people. Was on the duel carriageway this morning, parts of the over taking lane were still half covered in a dusting of snow and slush.

Still long sections of the Lough Gill Road have a bit of every thing, dustings, compact snow and slush, did meet the gritter on part of it (carrowrow roundabout - dromohaire section).

And as I look out the window, its snowing again.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lads, tonight is going to get dicey

After a relatively warm afternoon roads around Sligo now have a slight film of slush/sleet/salt on them. This is just beginning to freeze into a really tracherous film of "brown" ice.

Be very careful when turning off main roads that are still clear ...even the off ramps on the dual carriageway are beginning to ice over as we speak (just came off one).

Sideroads and less traveled mainroads may appear to be claer ....assume that they aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Sligo to bundoran road between drumcliff and grange was absolutely cat this morning, the road was completely white (except for following the car in front you wouldn't know you were on a road :eek:) and like a sheet of glass. We were reduced to about 15-20mph heading towards bundoran but heading into town was reduced to funeral pace barely 5-10mph with people stopping and starting. On the way home this evening there was a fair bit of brown sludge in the centre and sides of the road in places so take care if your on it tonight or in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Was going up by the pension offices about 6.30pm this evening when a guy who was standing on the road stopped us to tell us not too attempt going down Gallows Hill as their was a couple of car accidents in the last few minutes. Seemingly was like an ice rink due to freezing rain which seemingly is different than snow and alot more treachourous.

You could see a load of cars piled up from about halfway down the hill. 4 Fire Brigades arrived and cops closed road from roundabout in Caltragh. Connaughton road closed for similar reasons. All the roads just froze over for about an hour but seemed to thaw out a bit after that. It was lethal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hello all and hope ye are warm. I drove in a 4x4 this morning from Dromahair to Ballintogher and in 25 years driving I have never exerienced such dangerous conditions. Really was like driving on a polished lake. Be VERY carefull if you are going anywhere today, the worst conditions by far in this spell.

Ya it's really bad this morning, I've been out re-gritting my section of road this morning. Thank feck I've got a stack of builders gravel left over from the summer. The N17 turn off onto the Achonry to Bunninadden road remains very treacherous. Some nasty hills, but they're a decent bunch out here and locals living beside these hills have been gritting the roads themselves. Me, well I'm keeping bunkered in for the weekend. Take care out there folks.

I ventured out walking just to have a look. Roads are like pure ice. I wouldn't be driving on it. I was only OK walking as I kept on the snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Hi All;
    Saturday Evening: What are the roads like between Sligo Town out to Cooloney? Is there a thaw? Are the main roads safe enough?

Thanks..

(Mods the other weather threads are not specific enough, (geographically or time wise) for my enquiry, so would appreciate if you could allow this thread to run this evening:

Thanks

mod note, merged into main thread sunday evening

From AA's website:
    *SLIGO/LEITRIM* Severe black ice on the N17 Sligo/Galway Rd between Collooney and Charlestown. * The Council is advising extreme caution on all routes around Sligo county even on treated routes. Conditions are treacherous. * Icy on the N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd from Sligo to Carrick-on-Shannon, on the N16 Sligo/ Manorhamilton Rd and the N59 Ballisodare/Ballina Rd.

magnumlady wrote: »
    From AA's website:
    *SLIGO/LEITRIM* Severe black ice on the N17 Sligo/Galway Rd between Collooney and Charlestown. * The Council is advising extreme caution on all routes around Sligo county even on treated routes. Conditions are treacherous. * Icy on the N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd from Sligo to Carrick-on-Shannon, on the N16 Sligo/ Manorhamilton Rd and the N59 Ballisodare/Ballina Rd.

Wonderful! There's been a fair bit of rain this morning also, so when that freezes tonight :eek:

We cleared our drive of snow yesterday and it's now pure ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We cleared our drive of snow yesterday and it's now pure ice.

I didn't ...well I can't. The driveway is rough gravel/stones, so you can't clear it of ice/snow. Instead I attacked it with a pickaxe to roughen it up and give the ice some texture for grip. The thaw, the rain and the freeze have now smoothed it over so much that I had to do it all over again.

More rain & freeze is forecast, so the way to work tomorrow will be "fun"

peasant wrote: »
    I didn't ...well I can't. The driveway is rough gravel/stones, so you can't clear it of ice/snow. Instead I attacked it with a pickaxe to roughen it up and give the ice some texture for grip. The thaw, the rain and the freeze have now smoothed it over so much that I had to do it all over again.

More rain & freeze is forecast, so the way to work tomorrow will be "fun"

Done that two or three days in a row at home last year, cleared it xmas morning, by the time got home that night it was like a slab of ice again.

Cleared the snow from own drive way in sligo the other day as wheels were spining turning into it, went out for some fresh air in the early hours this morning, whole drive and cul de sac was like glass.

This is our drive. I'm thinking of opening up an ice rink.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/5234514402/

<looks for ice skates, and a cushion>

Feck, that's a fracture waiting to happen so be careful. I've got a rough gravel drive which is pretty compacted, but it's nowhere as lethal as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the footpaths around the town are normal..the footpaths approaching town are treacherous...especially by the showgrounds and the slip road from the new road to Adelaide street

Creeped the car out of the driveway, all the roads around the town are glistening. When got back home done a u turn up at the top of the cul de sac so I could get a better run back up the driveway, whole thing is like a bottle and took me two attempts to get back up the driveway.

Stuck the head at the door a little while ago, and reakon visability is about 100 metres.

If you are out tonight, be uber careful.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Took a trip out today around town.

Parked in Dunnes Car Park (Tesco Car Park was packed.. the weather is clearly not affecting the Christmas shoppers). The footpaths around O Connell Street, Grafton Street and Castle Street were clear but Tesco Car Park was pretty lethal around the footpaths, but roads around the car park were generally fine.

Took a spin to Connacht Gold.. well known for it's icey car park last year, but it was actually fine for the most part.

So basically, the centre of town is grand but once you get to the roads less taken.. beware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

My driveway was like that this morning! had run outta salt so used the bag of dishwasher salt, worked a treat! far better than table salt it gives a better grip. i was able to get out and dig it up then. headed to lidl and bought 6 boxes of dishwasher salt and put some more down tonight so hopefully it should be gritted enuf now for the morning! give it a try if you can!!

• Advertisement

Betsy18 wrote: »
    My driveway was like that this morning! had run outta salt so used the bag of dishwasher salt, worked a treat! far better than table salt it gives a better grip. i was able to get out and dig it up then. headed to lidl and bought 6 boxes of dishwasher salt and put some more down tonight so hopefully it should be gritted enuf now for the morning! give it a try if you can!!

You should put it down in the morning, it wouldn't last overnight. They sold out of it the other day after I got it, glad they've got more in.

I'm trying cat litter in the morning, it's lethal around here.

Advertisement