Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Report!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

RTE saying heavy snow and -10 for North-West tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

You should put it down in the morning, it wouldn't last overnight. They sold out of it the other day after I got it, glad they've got more in.

I'm trying cat litter in the morning, it's lethal around here.

yes,i'm gonna put more down in the morning too but its def far better than using table salt on it, gives a better grip!i've also used ashes from the fire and found it very good too!

where are you based? i'm wondering what the N15 is like tonight have to travel on it at 7 in the morning! i heard there was alot of black ice on it today and cars went off the road at Tullaghan!

I'm up by Caltragh roundabout. Try this site, it's good. http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1205/live_weather_transport_updates.html#comments

I really wouldn't put it down tonight, it will melt anything that's there or falls, and then the water will freeze like a sheet. Chuck it down half an hour before you need to go out in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pete2009

Have to travel tonight after 12, any reports on the Strandhill road from town? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

pete2009 wrote: »
    Have to travel tonight after 12, any reports on the Strandhill road from town? thanks

Freezing fog all over town since evening, roads around the town were treated this evening before 6 or 7, not sure if since.

I heard it was terrible. Very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pete2009

Thanks guys, sounds bad out there...the gritters were down Finiskiln at about 8pm...not that the grit will be very effective....

I cant remember conditiions like it, last Christmas was bad, but this ice is frightening...have no option but to drive..thanks again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Betsy18 wrote: »
    yes,i'm gonna put more down in the morning too but its def far better than using table salt on it, gives a better grip!i've also used ashes from the fire and found it very good too!

where are you based? i'm wondering what the N15 is like tonight have to travel on it at 7 in the morning! i heard there was alot of black ice on it today and cars went off the road at Tullaghan!

I have to travel on it tuesday morning, not even sure I will if it's bad. If you get a chance could you post an update on how it is tomorrow?

Londis in dromore are doing big bags of salt for €5.80, heard NCF were selling bags for €8.50 as well.

The N59 between dromore and ballisodare was LETHAL between 6 and 7 this evening, there seemed to be no grit at all on it, funeral speed the whole way in, a usual 30 minute drive to town took over an hour. Frozen slush all over the road especially around beltra, the hills were very hairy. Coming back in at about half 11 it wasn't as bad, it must have been gritted but Im not sure as usually you hear the grit bouncing off the car. Between ballisodare and sligo was gritted, met the gritter at about half 7.

The cathedral car park is an ice rink, they should sell skates at the entrance and charge an entry fee for it! :D

Our estate is like everyone else's, I had great pleasure in watching all the cars slide all over the place earlier on. I don't think our estate is as bad as last year because we don't have the compacted snow this year just rain/hail, however the roads seem much worse.

From AA Roadwatch
    SLIGO/LEITRIM Extreme caution advised on all routes around Sligo, with heavy fog & black ice making conditions treacherous. Severe black ice on the N17 Sligo/Galway Rd between Collooney & Charlestown. Very icy on the N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd from Sligo to Carrick-on-Shannon, on the N16 Sligo/Manorhamilton Rd & the N59 Ballisodare/Ballina Rd.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1206/live_weather_transport_updates.html

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, sounds bad out there...the gritters were down Finiskiln at about 8pm...not that the grit will be very effective....

I cant remember conditiions like it, last Christmas was bad, but this ice is frightening...have no option but to drive..thanks again..

Hope you got home safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Brooks Hanley selling salt for 8euro for 25KG bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

dee o gee wrote: »
    The N59 between dromore and ballisodare was LETHAL between 6 and 7 this evening, there seemed to be no grit at all on it, funeral speed the whole way in, a usual 30 minute drive to town took over an hour. Frozen slush all over the road especially around beltra, the hills were very hairy. Coming back in at about half 11 it wasn't as bad, it must have been gritted but Im not sure as usually you hear the grit bouncing off the car. Between ballisodare and sligo was gritted, met the gritter at about half 7.

I travelled that route...between Dromore West and Ballisodare at around 6 and 7pm yesterday evening...the worst driving experience with icy roads in my 14 years on the road...20mph the whole way...slower at corners! Didn't look like the road was gritted.
    Very well treated roads from Sligo through to Blacklion though...and as you say from Ballisodare and Sligo.
    Took me 5 hours and 45 minutes to get from Ballina to Belfast...:eek:...usually takes about 3 hours 20 minutes!

Gipo3 wrote: »

How to get it is the problem! I can't get out of my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

How to get it is the problem! I can't get out of my estate.
    I'm in Finisklin working so I can pick some up for you if you want TMB.

Thanks so much B, but tbh I would need tonnes of the stuff to get out of my estate. I wouldn't want you driving in here anyway, it's too dangerous. You're a pet for offering though.

You know my daft little dog? Wish he was a St. Bernard.

OceanFM are saying Gallows Hill still hasn't been treated. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Came down Gallows hill this morning no problems looked like the road was treated - but maybe it wasn't re-treated after the rain that fell.

Think I might try the ashes trick today, is it working for anyone else?
    Paul4As wrote: »
    I travelled that route...between Dromore West and Ballisodare at around 6 and 7pm yesterday evening...the worst driving experience with icy roads in my 14 years on the road...20mph the whole way...slower at corners! Didn't look like the road was gritted.
    Very well treated roads from Sligo through to Blacklion though...and as you say from Ballisodare and Sligo.
    Took me 5 hours and 45 minutes to get from Ballina to Belfast...:eek:...usually takes about 3 hours 20 minutes!

Is that road quite good the whole way to Blackloin, is the journey taking any longer than usual? Would like to get up there for a day before xmas, any idea what its like onto Enniskillin?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

PFL wrote: »
    Came down Gallows...

Very brave of you, whenever I'm in town in this weather, I make a point of avoiding Gallows Hill.

Gipo3 wrote: »

Im pretty sure the one's in londis in dromore are 25kg as well for €5.80, however it's catering salt, is the one's in brooks hanley rock salt?

It was horrible wasn't it! We had a bus behind us, at one point we were going down a wee hill, realised we couldn't stop and just hoped that the van in front wouldn't stop. :eek: Surprised I didn't see any cars in the ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

irish-stew wrote: »

Is that road quite good the whole way to Blackloin, is the journey taking any longer than usual? Would like to get up there for a day before xmas, any idea what its like onto Enniskillin?

From Sligo to Enniskillen the roads were gritted and fine yesterday evening. They also looked pretty dry. I still went pretty slow...but I wasn't as traumatised as was trying to cope with the Dromore West / Sligo stretch!
    Hopefully the cold spell goes by the end of the week.

Hopefully the cold spell goes by the end of the week.
    Wishful thinking I'd say Paul..

.. no end to it in sight I'd imagine!

basquille wrote: »
    Wishful thinking I'd say Paul..

.. no end to it in sight I'd imagine!

Irish Weather Online are saying it will clear for a few days this weekend, and then be on a par or WORSE than last year.

I think it might be time to activate Zombie plans.

My stretch from Achonry to Bunninadden is as bad as ever now, totally glassed over last night. No sign of that 'rapid reaction' tractor since last week :rolleyes:

People, the duel carriage way is white, and the road back down to the lights is glass, if you think you are far enough behind the driver in front, double it some more.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

copied from the weather forum:

Roads around Sligo/Leitrim are icing up fast after the snowfall.

Do not be fooled into thinking that where there isn't snow on the road it's safe to drive.

Wrong ...the snow is the safe bit. The rest is (or is rapidly tuning into) pure ice

People were all driving at a crawl through town.. but don't get me wrong, they're right. The roads today in town were the worst I've ever seen them. The ice bottom with the slush coating to the roads made them absolutely treacherous.

And anyone who is travelling home these days should prepared for a journey that'll take twice - three times long as normal.

Be very careful on those roads!

N17 Collooney out to Tubbercurry was diabolical, traffic down to 12MPH - which is a bit ridiculous. Conditions will safely allow for 25 - 30 MPH. Why do people stop on hills? I stayed miles behind ejjits doing this, otherwise I would have lost traction. Then they all break the speed limit and shoot through Ballinacarrow and Tubber WTF!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

dee o gee wrote: »
    I have to travel on it tuesday morning, not even sure I will if it's bad. If you get a chance could you post an update on how it is tomorrow?

Londis in dromore are doing big bags of salt for €5.80, heard NCF were selling bags for €8.50 as well.

The cathedral car park is an ice rink, they should sell skates at the entrance and charge an entry fee for it! :D

Our estate is like everyone else's, I had great pleasure in watching all the cars slide all over the place earlier on. I don't think our estate is as bad as last year because we don't have the compacted snow this year just rain/hail, however the roads seem much worse.

Travelled on it this morning main rd was fine well gritted just take your time on it. coming home this evening traffic was at a standstill in rathcormac due to lots of slush on the hills, thankfully it wasnt as bad when i was coming through as it had been earlier after the snowfall. grange was a little slushy too coming in from the sligo side. other than that the main rd was fine, just keep a good distance between the cars in front and take your time. connaughton rd and the hill on holborn st were outrageous today, i was watching cars/vans sliding back down the hills and traffice at a standstill, people just abandoning the cars on the hill and nobody was going anywhere, its the worst i have ever seen it!take your time on the roads people and you will get there safely.

• Advertisement

Betsy18 wrote: »
    Travelled on it this morning main rd was fine well gritted just take your time on it. coming home this evening traffic was at a standstill in rathcormac due to lots of slush on the hills, thankfully it wasnt as bad when i was coming through as it had been earlier after the snowfall. grange was a little slushy too coming in from the sligo side. other than that the main rd was fine, just keep a good distance between the cars in front and take your time. connaughton rd and the hill on holborn st were outrageous today, i was watching cars/vans sliding back down the hills and traffice at a standstill, people just abandoning the cars on the hill and nobody was going anywhere, its the worst i have ever seen it!take your time on the roads people and you will get there safely.

Thanks. Still not sure what to do. Il have to wait until the morning to decide. :(

Advertisement