Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Report!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

N15 is bad this morning. Just got into work, around Tullaghan and Cliffoney is very icy! had to drive at 40mph whole way up to Sligo. If you really have to travel just take it easy if not i wouldnt chance it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anyone know what conditions are like around Sligo General? Or what the car park is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Anyone know what conditions are like around Sligo General? Or what the car park is like?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1207/live_weather_transport_updates.html#article
    In Sligo town, streets and footpaths were also treated this morning and are passable with care. However Gallows Hill and the Mall Car Park and Connaughton Road Car Park are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Where in Sligo is Gallows Hill, is is it the same place as St Joesphs Terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

irish-stew wrote: »
    Yep, same place - noticed it was closed this morning on my way over Temple Street.

Main roads aren't too bad... well, they're better than yesterday afternoon / evening as they've obviously been gritted and we've had no snow since (as far as I know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Ya it's beside there. If you were going from the Summerhill area into town it's the steep hill ya go down

You drive up pass St. Josephs Terrace and then onto Gallows Hills, with the pensions office on the right-hand side when you get to the top.

in this case the steep hill you go up

basquille wrote: »
    Yep, same place - noticed it was closed this morning on my way over Temple Street.

Main roads aren't too bad... well, they're better than yesterday afternoon / evening as they've obviously been gritted and we've had no snow since (as far as I know).

Thats what I thought.

;)

Latest RTE update.
    SLIGO/LEITRIM 15 min delays on the N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd at Aghamore due to a jack-knifed truck. Traffic is down to one lane, a tow truck is en route. Severe ice between Castlebaldwin and Sligo. In Sligo town, avoid Connaughton Rd, while St Josephs Terrace is closed. * The N16 Sligo/Enniskillen is very slippery.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1207/live_weather_transport_updates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

The Hospital is ok , the lads have gritted it themselves this morning and yesterday. Just after going past the seems to be spaces at the outpatients entrance. Town in general is ok nothing compared to yesterday.

Road from Achonry to Bunninadden gritted this morning, thank God! It's been a while.

• Advertisement

All approch paths and some within town remain icy. Take your time if leaving the car at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

What would be the best way to get to the hospital from the Caltragh roundabout? Are the slip roads on the dual carriageway gritted, or would I be better going down Pearse Road? Then what way when I'm in town?

Could someone who's been in town today let me know?

Please and thanks.

Got it straight in my head now, closure of Connuaghton Road had me confused!

What would be the best way to get to the hospital from the Caltragh roundabout? Are the slip roads on the dual carriageway gritted, or would I be better going down Pearse Road? Then what way when I'm in town?

Could someone who's been in town today let me know?

Please and thanks.

Got it straight in my head now, closure of Connuaghton Road had me confused!

Residential/side roads up to the Caltragh Roundabouts are quite wet, a combination of snow and grit/salt. The slip roads joining the duel carriage way are clear (where the traffic has been) but very slushy at the sides. Gallows hill is totally closed.

Not sure of all the roads from Caltragh Rounabouts to town/Pearse Rd other than Gallows Hill. But like I said, slip roads are clear, as is the duel carriage way aprt from the slushy shoulders, releif road is clear as well. Not sure on the road spliting the IT and hospital (second rd to right after hughs bridge) but would guess this is quite clear as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

The R284 from Carraroe to Keadue has not been gritted in the Geevagh/Ballyfarnon area and is icy/slushy depending where the sun has/hasn't got at it. Be careful.

Recorded -11c on thermometer outside an hour ago, going to Ballina tomorrow. Anyone know what the Sligo to Ballina road has been like recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Recorded -11c on thermometer outside an hour ago, going to Ballina tomorrow. Anyone know what the Sligo to Ballina road has been like recently?

Not brilliant at all. There's also two sets of ongoing roadworks that aren't helping things either.

Secondary roads in Mayo have been pretty bad the last few days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Not long home from travelling sligo to dromore, ballisodare to beltra is still quite bad nothing like sunday but theres still a fair bit of snow/hail/slush on the road. Dromore got a shower of snow/hail earlier on so the place is white.
    Are the roadworks still going on? It's always been early or late when im passing through so never see them but i thought they were finished?
    If you take your time it should be fine. Although i can't speak for the road between dromore and ballina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

dee o gee wrote: »
    Not long home from travelling sligo to dromore, ballisodare to beltra is still quite bad nothing like sunday but theres still a fair bit of snow/hail/slush on the road. Dromore got a shower of snow/hail earlier on so the place is white.
    Are the roadworks still going on? It's always been early or late when im passing through so never see them but i thought they were finished?
    If you take your time it should be fine. Although i can't speak for the road between dromore and ballina.

There was only one set of works the other day, but according to AA roadwatch, there are two now. I know that one set of roadworks was to put down new cats eyes - though in this weather, I doubt they'll be doing much of that.

Thanks lads for the updates on the Ballina route folks, that's a cancellation for me then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

What is the road like to enniskillen?

I have to go to belfast on Friday

• Advertisement

Be ultra carefull out there boardies, local councils only have enough supplies to currently on treat primary routes, local roads and urban roads may not get treeted until supplies are restocked next week.

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    What is the road like to enniskillen?

I have to go to belfast on Friday

Not sure if any help now, but was on it yesterday, treated the whole way but some frosty patches on it remained.

It's bad out my way again, I just spoke to the County Council and they suggested I cancel trying to get into Sligo General. Traffic is down to 20KPH on the Achonry to Sligo road. 4 - 5inches of fresh snow lying on the Achonry to Bunninadden road. Here's the latest from the AA website......

AA Roadwatch

Last Updated: 17/12/2010 09:27:39
    National Summary Report

*CONDITIONS* * Very icy conditions, especially to the northwest of the country where snow is making conditions very slippery. Slow down and increase your braking distance. *CONNAUGHT* *N17/SLIGO* Extreme care is needed throughout Co. Sligo, especially on the N16 Sligo/Manorhamilton from Glencar to Blacklion (Cavan) and the Sligo-Ballintogher Rd. * The N17/Tubbercurry/Achonry Rd is closed due to poor weather conditions. * Gallows Hill in Sligo Town should be avoided. * Connaughton Rd and Carraroe R/A are treacherous.

Careful all..

Roads are pretty damn treacherous this morning. Worst I've seen them.. they don't appear to be salted or if they were, it snowed over it again.

Traffic moving between 20mph - 30mph per town, but it's required!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

basquille wrote: »
    Careful all..

Roads are pretty damn treacherous this morning. Worst I've seen them.. they don't appear to be salted or if they were, it snowed over it again.

Traffic moving between 20mph - 30mph per town, but it's required!

The roads are very bad. Took me an hour to get from collooney into town.

rhonin wrote: »
    The roads are very bad. Took me an hour to get from collooney into town.
    Yep, definitely the worst I've seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've heard of cars coming off the road from Coolaney to Collooney.

This is what Ocean fm said on twitter:
    Roads an effin disgrace. NRA a disgrace. Salt in Cairo port if u don't mind. Phones and texts on meltdown

Gallows Hills bad, and reports of a jacknife lorry at Carrarow.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

Duel carriage way is one lane in each direction. Over taking lanes covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Duel carriage way is one lane in each direction. Over taking lanes covered.

Do you know if it has been treated since this morning?

Advertisement