Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Report!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

rhonin wrote: »
    Do you know if it has been treated since this morning?

Would very much doubt it, I was on it about an hour or so ago. At that time only one lane was clear (ballisodare-sligo and back), and only tracks from wheels on slip roads.

From what I have heard on the news due to such short supplies they might only treat for the morning and evening rushes, unless the ploughs are out in the mean time.

Snowing again as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not road related but easily overlooked, if you got any flat roofed sheds or garages? keep an eye on them, I spent 2 hours clearing mine this morning. I estimated there was 5 inches of snow covering the roof. If this snow continues for a couple of days, a build up could cause serious damage to your roof so keep an eye on it. Stock up for the weekend because they've done feck all with the roads today, so can you imagine what it will be like during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

rhonin wrote: »
    The roads are very bad. Took me an hour to get from collooney into town.

Me too. Was meant to go as far as Grange but turned back at summerhill roundabout. Total nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

the bundoran sligo road isnt great at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Not road related but easily overlooked, if you got any flat roofed sheds or garages? keep an eye on them, I spent 2 hours clearing mine this morning. I estimated there was 5 inches of snow covering the roof. If this snow continues for a couple of days, a build up could cause serious damage to your roof so keep an eye on it. Stock up for the weekend because they've done feck all with the roads today, so can you imagine what it will be like during the weekend.

here is a gem from the November meeting of Sligo County Council

Mr T. Brennan, Senior Engineer stated the following:

The NRA are currently purchasing strategic stockpiles of salt at national level which will be made available to local authorities this winter. It is therefore intended to have adequate supplies of salt and grit available for road treatment during severe winter conditions.

adequate supplies of salt and grit Right!

• Advertisement

This may have been the case but the NRA shafted us in the west because sure no matter what dublin has to have enough wheather it needs it or not,
    they were gritting flat out in dublin last night and no need for it yet where donegal and sligo was lying under snow,
    I herd on the radio today donegal co.co were gone away to sourse their own salt as the NRA were giving them a few lorry loads to tie them over till the boat that is after leaving eygpt arrives with salt
    its the usual case if it doesnt happen in the pale to hell with the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jonnynitro

spent the full day today out in my lorry around sligo and mayo
    all i can say is SHAME on the NRA
    main roads were like bad bog roads no grit
    and seen two snow ploughs all day long and nither of them where ploughing or
    gritting .
    But i did see a few hardy soles around castlebar today gritting there estate with
    a tractor and fertlizer spreader :eek:

fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

anyone know about the Sligo - Enniskillen road? Am supposed to go up there today, reckon it could take me 3 hours (tho I expect things to improve once i get across the border!). Would appreciate any indications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Hi folks...any reports on Strandhill Road this morning circa 11am?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

from ocean fm website

Conor Faughnan of AA says the East may be given priorty to salt stocks

Conor Faughnan of AA Roadwatch says there may be an element of truth in the fact that areas in the east are given priority with regards to salt stock while the North West is being ignored.

He says this is an unprecedented spell of weather and it's extremely hard to calculate the amount of salt needed.

Conor Faughnan says fresh stocks of salt will not arrive into the country until Wednesday.

• Advertisement

the news was saying last night that the salt will now arrive later in the week than wensday could be christmas eve.

people are slating the CO.CO but they can only work with what they have, the guy thats the head of the NRA should be brought in front of the powers that be to explain himself,and if it is seen to be a mistake he should be shown the door,this sort of indecisiveness with in goverment bodys can no longer be tolerated,if such actions were to happen it might wake alot of them up.

fisgon wrote: »
    anyone know about the Sligo - Enniskillen road? Am supposed to go up there today, reckon it could take me 3 hours (tho I expect things to improve once i get across the border!). Would appreciate any indications.

Not sure if you have left yet, road is apparently icy is places between glencar and blacklion. Would be very surprised if some attempt not made to clear road considering its one of the main roads between the west and NI/belfast.

I would give my self a couple of hours just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

copied from the weather forum ....

This is the situation in Sligo as of 3 hours ago

139933.jpg

Now, this is the N4 dual carriageway approach towards Sligo town ...a priority 1 road for clearing/salting according to the councils plan :D

Left lane is greasy mush (will no doubt freeze to black ice overnight), right lane is just rough ice.

As it is going to stay very cold for the next few days, the situation is unlikely to improve ...the ice is just going to get polished over the coming days

As this is a "treated" main road, you can imagine the state of any side roads :D

Anywhere that's hilly or where a lot of cars had to stop/start is polished ice already and the patches are only going to get bigger. So take it really handy out there until the council manage to get some salt from somewhere

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Drove up from Galway last night took 3hrs 45 mins.

Road is a nightmare from Ballindine to Charlestown - was very poor visibility on the roads they only had one side plowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Not long in from a run from Ballymote to Sligo and back.

It is still untreated but not that bad once on the main road. From Clarkes bridge to Ballymote is solid packed snow. It is crazy that it was not plowed when they had the chance yesterday.

I'd like to add that if you think you cannot drive on a snow covered road at more than 15mph, then stay home or get someone who can drive take you. At that speed you may cause others to get stuck (thank you mr 97 polo) and will cause other to loose their patience*

*yes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Had an early morning and did a trip to town and Connacht Gold.

Roads were still pretty bad in parts this morning.. and I went down to collect a Chinese from Peking House this evening, and couldn't believe how poor Pearse Road is in Sligo town.

basquille wrote: »
    Had an early morning and did a trip to town and Connacht Gold.

Roads were still pretty bad in parts this morning.. and I went down to collect a Chinese from Peking House this evening, and couldn't believe how poor Pearse Road is in Sligo town.

I decided to walk it (might have still been over the limit this morning), slush everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I drove into town this morning... didn't think it was all that bad.

Great day for Xmas shopping - the place was half empty.

I drove into town this morning... didn't think it was all that bad.

Great day for Xmas shopping - the place was half empty.

The man roads in weren't to bad, slush around on the gutters and on wine street car park, our street has an inch or two of ice on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Anyone know what Grange/Maugherow areas are like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Roads in Sligo town much better today thankfully.

basquille wrote: »
    Roads in Sligo town much better today thankfully.

Still white outside of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kaz86

I need to go to galway tomorrow from lavagh-n17 from achonry,is this a bad idea???? maybe i should cancel. I really dont fancy taking the bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You will be on the main road, it should be a ok. Give yourself plenty of time, traffic will probably be slow moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

kaz86 wrote: »
    I need to go to galway tomorrow from lavagh-n17 from achonry,is this a bad idea???? maybe i should cancel. I really dont fancy taking the bus

The backroad from Lavagh isn't actually too bad - the snow hasn't compacted to solid ice yet.

N17 is slushy, icy in places - especially around Tubbercurry & Knock.

It all depends on how confident you feel driving in bad weather & the condition of your car & tyres.

If you decide to drive it, double the usual journey time (at the least) as everyone is driving at 30mph these days, regardless of the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

N15 Sligo to Bundoran road is pretty bad this morning, especially from Cliffoney - Tullaghan! took an hour and 10 minutes to get from Bundoran to Sligo town this morning! if you really need to travel just give yourself plenty of time and take it easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Betsy18 wrote: »
    N15 Sligo to Bundoran road is pretty bad this morning, especially from Cliffoney - Tullaghan! took an hour and 10 minutes to get from Bundoran to Sligo town this morning! if you really need to travel just give yourself plenty of time and take it easy!

Thanks for this although it is not what I wanted to hear!
    I have been stuck in Derry over the weekend trying to get back to Sligo but the roads seem to get worse everyday. If I could just get to Bunduff . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Hi All,
    Was meant to travel to Letterkenny tomorrow morning from Sligo, should I just forget about it? Has anybody driven through the gap in the last few days?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

On radio avoid the Bluestacks if possible...If it was me Id stay put...
    jazyguy wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Was meant to travel to Letterkenny tomorrow morning from Sligo, should I just forget about it? Has anybody driven through the gap in the last few days?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

jazyguy wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Cheers

Here ya go, this is the AA report below for 14.49pm

*ULSTER* *MONAGHAN* Foggy conditions around Monaghan Town and secondary roads are still very icy. Use fog lights in affected areas. *DONEGAL* Conditions are hazardous around Glenties. Avoid Barnesmore Gap and avoid Meenroy on the Letterkenny/Fintown Rd (R250). • Very icy on the N14 Lifford/Letterkenny Rd, particularly at Lurgybrack. * Very icy around Ballybofey on the N13 Letterkenny Rd, the N15 Donegal Rd and the Lifford Rd.

Advertisement